• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skat Trak anyone have info

icestationzebra

Before Volvo, Skat Trak was owned by OmniQuip who at the time also owned Sky Trak and Lull. They sold ST and Lull to JLG, who was bought out by Oshkosh Truck. I forget who Lull bought the loaders from, but at one time they also had little articulated loaders and cement buggies. ISZ

nate_man

Great insight and a correct perspective.

Scat trak is not the fanciest or coolest machine however they are well built and engineered.

I know one of the techs that worked on them for years and he is still lookign for another one to own as they are good litte machines for the price.

I have been in Bobcats, Gheil, John Deere and Kabotas and While they all have their positives and drawbacks. The little scat is a great deal for the money.

Parts continue to be a challenge but they dont go as quickly as some other brands given that they are generally well made.

THanks,

Nate

Toyman57

Occupation
Masonry Construction
I had a 1996 1700c Scat Trac loader for a few years. These are a pretty amazing skid loader. For a 1700 pound rated working load these guys hold their own in this league. Lots of hp put to the ground from the Perkins. Easy to work on. A very rugged & tough machine. Simplicity is it's trademark. Only a few disappointments; They are terribly slow even at full throttle & they have a few parts specific to them that are no longer available. Volvo is not supporting them entirely so resale is dropping on them quickly. If you have one......good luck if you destroy an axle housing. I sold my tractor to a concrete contractor that loves them as they can take a beating without often braking down.

Jeepwalker

Here's what I pieced together about them. Let me know if I'm wrong, but here's what I pieced together:

Rounder |then -> Prime Mover |then-> Mahto |then-> Lull (Omniquip) Some Mahto's seem to have been labled Lull for rental companies, |then-> Thomas?? renamed? Skat Trak (because Omniquip wanted to match the 'Sky Trak' name, |now-> Volvo. If you look at the Mahto and Lull L1200 and L1300's they look like the Rounders and share the same naming convention as well.

What I'm not sure about (and could be wrong about) is where the purchase of Mahto and Skat lineages intersect, maybe it was Thomas. It's clear the Lull rentals are the same as the Mahto/Prime Mover/Rounder, but more research needs to be done to determine if they phased out Mahto and it was Thomas or another. But it's interesting nonetheless.

Here is an excerpt from the original Omniquip registration with the securities and exchange commission OCTOBER 1, 1996, which you can google on the internet:

11. ACQUISITION OF MAHTO INDUSTRIES, INC.

In April 1995, the Company purchased the inventory and production equipment of Mahto Industries, Inc., a manufacturer of light-duty construction equipment for $500. The acquisition has been accounted for as a purchase, and results of operations since the date of acquisition are included in the statement of income. The fair value of the net assets acquired exceeded the purchase price by approximately $200, which was applied to reduce the carrying value of the production equipment. The pro forma impact of this acquisition on the Company's operating results was immaterial.

Elsewhere it reads:
(1) The Company was organized in August 1995 for the purpose of acquiring TRAK, the predecessor company.

(2) Amounts give effect to the pro forma transactions described under "Pro Forma Financial Information," including the footnotes thereto.

(3) In the quarter ended December 31, 1995, Lull determined that a specific warranty obligation had been incurred on certain boom units manufactured and recorded a pre-tax charge to operations of $2,881.

(4) In October 1992, TRAK adopted Statement of Financial Accounting Standards, No. 109, "Accounting for Income Taxes" (SFAS 109). The cumulative effect of adopting SFAS 109 was to record a net tax benefit of $199.

(5) In October 1994, TRAK adopted Statement of Financial Accounting Standards, No. 106, "Employer's Accounting for Postretirement Benefits Other Than Pensions" (SFAS 106). The cumulative effect of adopting SFAS 106 was to record a charge of $241, net of income tax benefits.

(6) Given the historical organization and capital structure of TRAK, as predecessor to the Company, earnings per share information is not considered meaningful for the predecessor.

Here's More:
MANAGEMENT'S DISCUSSION AND ANALYSIS OF
RESULTS OF OPERATIONS AND FINANCIAL CONDITION

OVERVIEW

The Company was formed for the purpose of acquiring TRAK in August 1995. Subsequent thereto, the Company completed the acquisition of the business of Lull in August 1996. Set forth below is certain information with respect to the TRAK and Lull acquisitions:

DATE OF
ACQUISITION ACQUISITION BUSINESS YEAR FOUNDED
- --------------------------------------- ----------------- --------------------------------------- ---------------

TRAK................................... August 1995 Manufacturer of telescopic material 1954
handlers and skid steer loaders
Lull................................... August 1996 Manufacturer of telescopic material 1956
handlers

The Company is accounting for each of these acquisitions under the purchase method of accounting, with the purchase price allocated to the estimated fair market value of the assets acquired and the liabilities assumed. The excess of the purchase price over the estimated fair value of the net assets acquired is being allocated to goodwill, resulting in approximately $65.5 million of goodwill on a pro forma basis at June 30, 1996. The amortization of such goodwill over 40 years will result in an annual noncash charge to future operations of approximately $1.6 million. The basis of presentation relating to the following discussion of the statements of operations of the Company and of TRAK ("Predecessor") does not reflect such increased amortization expense, as the full-year effect of the acquisition of TRAK and the acquisition of Lull are not reflected therein. See "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Pro Forma Results of Operations and Financial Condition" for further discussion.

The Company operates in a single industry segment. The Company's principal products consist of material handling and construction equipment utilizing engines of less than 130 horsepower. In addition to specific factors affecting the Company's results of operations as discussed below, certain factors typically recur from period to period. For example, cost of sales is driven to a large extent by the cost of purchased components and raw materials, which typically comprise 80% of the total cost of sales. Other factors affecting cost of sales are production volume and the resultant leveraging of fixed overhead, as well as productivity of the labor force. In addition, selling, general and administrative ("SG&A") expenses include costs related to developing, marketing and selling the Company's products, as well as infrastructure costs for management and systems. While certain SG&A costs vary with the level of net sales, many are relatively fixed over fairly wide ranges of unit volume. It is the Company's strategy to invest in infrastructure costs, in many cases in advance of increased sales.

The Company sells its products to independent equipment dealers for sale and rental and to national rental centers for rental. The Company offers its independent equipment dealers conventional floor-plan and rental fleet financing to assist in the purchase of its products. Under such financing arrangements, dealers borrow money from independent lenders on a secured basis for up to five years. The Company assists with such financing by providing the independent lenders additional guarantees or other financial support with respect to the obligations of its dealers. In conjunction with these floor-plan arrangements, the Company also provides certain financing benefits to its dealers to support both retail and rental purchases. Such costs are accounted for as other finance charges and approximated $1.5 million for the Company for the nine months ended June 30, 1996 and $1.6 million for the Company and its Predecessor on a combined basis for the twelve months ended September 30, 1995. See "--Capital Resources and Liquidity."

Last edited:

wi4x4man

Occupation
Sr. Product Engineer
I ran across this when doing a little bit of research on my little 1300CX Scat, and although the post is quite outdated, I would like to chime in.

I bought mine for a song at auction after my son was pestering me to get a skid steer. Originally I thought I would not have much use for one, but it became more and more apparent that perhaps a skid steer would be beneficial for the farm.

Long story short, I have had the machine for a little less than a year and I am thoroughly impressed with it! I have had to do some work to it (rewiring because of prior rodents, new tires, a few new hoses, and replace the starter) but it was all minor.

This machine is unbelievably powerful for the size. It is quick, nimble, and while a little rough riding, I have not had any tipping concerns. Working on it is extremely easy given the fact that the whole cab tips forward. Replacing the starter for instance only took me about 15 minutes, whereas replacing a starter on a comparable Bobcat is a nightmare.

The little Kubota engine is reliable and tough. And given the fact that everything is over-built, it is quite durable. I have put it through quite a few paces already and no issues. In addition, getting into it is very easy and the quick attachment mechanism I find to be a lot nicer than the lever-operated versions currently out there.

Jeepwalker

Glad to hear you've had good luck with your Skat. They seem like good units from all the specs and everything I've seen and heard. Around the farm I'm sure you'll continue to find many uses for it. Get some attachments for more utility. Cheers!!

wi4x4man

Occupation
Sr. Product Engineer
Oh definitely! I have quite a few already.

Before I picked it up, I got a grapple to use on the tractor. I thought the grapple was extremely handy on the tractor, but now the tractor never sees it attached unless I need to pick up something heavier than the little machine can handle (which is a lot). I used to have a skidder, and aside from the skidder being able to carry the logs on the bunk, I think I would choose this setup over the skidder for moving logs when clearing forest for new fields / pasture. So much faster!

Funny thing is that when I went to that auction, I never intended to buy a skidsteer. My 11 year old son kept bugging me and bugging me to get one, and when I won it, I thought my wife was going to be a little less than pleased. To my surprise, she was okay with it, and recently told me how she can't believe we went so long without one. That was of course the que to get more attachments. :)

Jeepwalker

That's a good story. Went through something similar with my wife. The day we couldn't get the new king-sized bed up the stairs (that she wanted so bad), I fabbed up a special pallet to fork it up through a 2d-floor doorway, she saw the utility in the skid. Funny how that goes sometimes!

grandpa x2

hi not that i`m an expert, but i do know a bit about scat trak`s, i own 2 at the moment....
scat track , i belive was first manufactured by koering construction equipment, a brand noted for toughness and durability. When i bought my first scat (new 97) it was then owned by a company call trak international, trak was then aquired by a company called compact technologies, wich was a part of a company called omni quip, wich was owned by textron. besides skid steer loaders, they also sold sky track and lull loaders. In 2001 volvo bought the skid steer loader line, and is now marketing their own version, with some improvements. In 2003 jlg industries bought the sky track and lull product lines.
While scat has never been in the forefront of skid steer sales , or coming up with new innovative designs, they are exceptionally well built and rugged machines (before the 2001 model year in my opinion). look at the size of the pins and bushings, the twin tilt cylinder on the boom, the guage of the material in the boom construction, this might change your opinionon them. Then start comparing specs, they had the higest available wheel torque in their classes, the all time higest available hydraulic flow (47 gallons a minute,1700 cx and 1800dx), and the largest engines in their classes (usually in both displacement and horsepower) they also use the largest drive chains , and always had the roomiest cabs and are the easyist of all of the skid steers to get into and out of.
Not that they dont have their weaknesses, anything above the 1500 class has a slow travel speed. And i do feel that they require a lot of physical effort to operate , (the non sero controls can build up your sholder mussles) and most of bobcats machines are better balanced for grading work. Scat always seems to have "rough edges" on the ergonomics. Before volvo took over, getting parts could be a pain, since volvos involvement , parts are easier to find and get, and i think even cheaper in many cases! the relatively short wheelbase they have when compared against modern designs does make the ride a bit choppier at times, but in my line of work , smaller is better to ge into tight places with, and i think you tend to scuff the tires a bit less without the long wheelbase.
As I`m sure you have figured out from reading this, I`m a real fan of these machines. I`m a contractor that does a bit of everything (steel fabrication,rigging and trucking, excavation, landscaping and demolition). We have run (and wrecked) most brands and models of skid steer loaders,including twisting booms, constant overheating, breaking drive chains, snapping axle housings and axel bearings, we are the worst nightmare of many rental houses........ For the crazy world that we operate in, the scat was the right shoice. a simple, wicked strong , straight forward design, that shows up everyday ...... this past summer i bought a 2000 model year 1500 from the only rental house that still likes me,lol. It is quicker and more nimble than the 1700 a better maching for running the harley rake and fine grading, i dont care much for that machines turbo kubota, i think the perkins in the 1700 is a better engine for the jobs we do .
In short , scat would make a good machine for almost anyones equipment aresnal................

grandpa x2

dear riggler, this is grandpax2. i bought a koehring 1999 1650 scat track, with a 40hp kubota diesel. i cant find any information, please help. thank you, grandax2

Ulysc

Omniquip 2300d intake heater wire connected to heater element the other side is taped up so I untaped it and it has a connector on it but I don’t know where it goes the unit doesn’t start in the cold and I’ve already made sure the heater was good I’m in need of help

Auctioneerhere

We recently purchased a 2000DX model, it has low flow & high flow. I am grateful to the user who posted the manual for it. The one we have has been well cared for. It is the same as a Volvo MC90 for future reference for parts. We were able to order a new back glass for our. It broke during the ride home. We only bought this to pound some posts with.