• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skagit Iron and Steel Works, Sedro Wooley, Washington

Rusty Grapple

23621295_1046105015529872_5295619310303861647_n.jpg 23621595_1046105038863203_3563496298903302921_n.jpg 2016 - Risseuw BU-737 - 3.jpg 2016 - Risseuw BU-737 - 2.jpg View attachment 186719 View attachment 186720 View attachment 186717 View attachment 186718
View attachment 186183 View attachment 186184
View attachment 186185 View attachment 186186

Handly & Phillips 737 older pics were on the OP, now its in south island NZ

Those are not the same 2 Skagit 737's although they did both belong to B&M Logging at one point. Both were painted yellow and black when B&M owned them. The machine shown in blue/white in your pics is currently owned by Ken Risseeuw at Willamina, Oregon and is still B&M colors, yellow and black. The machine that went to NZ with Gale's was a 737 that B&M had picked up much earlier, and sold to Gales about 2012. Gale's painted it orange/black/white once they got it to NZ.

Here a couple of pics of the machine currently owned by Risseeuw on the move in Oregon last winter. This is the blue/white colored machine in your pics above. I'll dig up some pics of the machine Gale ended up with (the orange one in your pics above) and post those for you here when I can.

Last edited:

Rusty Grapple

View attachment 186183 View attachment 186184
View attachment 186185 View attachment 186186

Handly & Phillips 737 older pics were on the OP, now its in south island NZ

Here are some pics of the 737 B&M ended up selling to Gale Contracting in NZ. This is the machine seen in the orange/black/white paint in your pics. These pics are not great quality and were taken at Chehalis, Washington when the yarder was in for service at McPaul Machine. This was a nice yarder when it went to NZ and with Gale taking care of it, I'm sure it still is today.1 a Skagit BU-737 at B&M 1.jpg 1 a Skagit BU-737 at B&M 1.jpg 1 a Skagit BU-737 at B&M 2.jpg 1 a Skagit BU-737 at B&M 3.jpg 1 a Skagit BU-737 at B&M 4.jpg

Rusty Grapple

B&M C500.jpg Sorry for the double post of 1st pic, this site is quirky with pics. Tried to delete but that isn't working. Here's a pic showing that same 739 behind the C500 lowboy truck at B&M when the yarder is looking fresh and clean. The Gale boys do look at the forum here from time to time so hopefully they can add details about this yarder that they might share with us. I didn't get the serial number of the machine that Gale got but they may be able to reply to this and add at some point.

Last edited:

Diamond Danebo

Occupation
Equipment operator
Sorry for the double post of 1st pic, this site is quirky with pics. Tried to delete but that isn't working. The Gale boys do look at the forum here from time to time so hopefully they can add details about this yarder that they might share with us. I didn't get the serial number of the machine that Gale got but they may be able to reply to this and add at some point.
oh wow i was way off, must have got my wires crossed with Matt. thanks for clearing that up Eric.

Rusty Grapple

oh wow i was way off, must have got my wires crossed with Matt. thanks for clearing that up Eric.

Its all good mister, just a little confusing as they had 2 of the 737's that they have reworked, repainted, and then sold. This was mostly just a great opportunity to share some pics I had of both machines when B&M had them. I also figured if you had a connection to the Handly & Phillips machine you would be happy to know that she is still here stateside and working full time in Oregon, so I could offer a smile for you in that regard.

B&M sure have owned some dandy yarders through the years. They still do own a bunch and are using a pair of 739's daily as well as other yarders too. You have a happy Sunday and I hope you enjoy the pics and misc tidbits as much as I do.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I will as soon as we get it to another setting. We are just running the Westcoaster right now but that will probably change next week.

ForestEng

View attachment 186721 View attachment 186722 View attachment 186723 View attachment 186724 View attachment 186719 View attachment 186720 View attachment 186717 View attachment 186718

Those are not the same 2 Skagit 737's although they did both belong to B&M Logging at one point. Both were painted yellow and black when B&M owned them. The machine shown in blue/white in your pics is currently owned by Ken Risseeuw at Willamina, Oregon and is still B&M colors, yellow and black. The machine that went to NZ with Gale's was a 737 that B&M had picked up much earlier, and sold to Gales about 2012. Gale's painted it orange/black/white once they got it to NZ.

Here a couple of pics of the machine currently owned by Risseeuw on the move in Oregon last winter. This is the blue/white colored machine in your pics above. I'll dig up some pics of the machine Gale ended up with (the orange one in your pics above) and post those for you here when I can.

Anyone have access to a 737 operators manual?

petepilot

have looked at most of the pictures from pg1 to here` some awesome machinery. am curios though how long does it take from the time you get to the site to setup and be ready to pull wood?

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
have looked at most of the pictures from pg1 to here` some awesome machinery. am curios though how long does it take from the time you get to the site to setup and be ready to pull wood?

Lots of variables to answer you. Are the guylines already in place, has the layout been made? Working for Weyerhaeuser in the 60s and 70s, we had a "bull gang" who went out with a line truck to string guylines and make the first layout. (two old broke down experienced hooktenders to do the thinking and the operating and a pair of young guys to do the running.)
With everything in place, we could be filling the landing with logs in four hours at most. If nothing is ready, it might take days. I have heard of Simpson on the peninsula having to stretch 3000' of guyline, that is a lot of work. You had to pack out into the brush 2 or 3 16" Ropemaster tail blocks and the associated straps. then you need to string haywire. With a bull gang, everything went much smoother.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
It usually takes us about 6/8 hours from driving on the landing to rigged & logging.

Reactions: 075

grapplewrench

My son and I have both been smitten with the inherent spirit of Skagit iron.
We have read a few stories of outfits that started out with SJ series mobile
loggers and how much they loved them.We were considering an SJ4 for
doing narrow roadside work in our small outfit to compliment our TMY45.
The only part that worries me as far as parts/reliability go is that power divider/downdrive piece.I have studied the brochures Rust Grapple put up for hours.Any other knowledge,wisdom,stories of these rigs would
be greatly appreciated.Thank you guys for all the great photos,stories,and
hard won wisdom.The photos of those restored big tube yarders fill me full
of awe and desire.
Grapplewrench Sr.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
grapplewrench. I started out on wrenches in 1967. We had only the SJ7. We did not have any issues with downdrive at all. The swing shaft was biggest issue and could replace that in 10-12 hours. One contractor had a SJ4 and it just kept going. All of these were loading in landings. Later one SJ7 was used to log small corner patches. Not too much help I know

grapplewrench

grapplewrench. I started out on wrenches in 1967. We had only the SJ7. We did not have any issues with downdrive at all. The swing shaft was biggest issue and could replace that in 10-12 hours. One contractor had a SJ4 and it just kept going. All of these were loading in landings. Later one SJ7 was used to log small corner patches. Not too much help I know
Thank you,it does help.
Looking at all the other parts of the machine,it looks like most of it can be off the shelf stuff,including the transmission.That little 4cyl CAT seems to be the predecessor to the 3304.I love the idea and operation of a machine like this,and
given that it's purpose built with strawline drum and all,I'd rather run it ,than a brand new yoder complete with bluetooth DEF injection and zero character.
If I get an SJ4,I intend to spend my winters making it nice in the same spirit
as Haulback did his beautiful rig.Some folks might criticize us for denying a
museum it's iron,others might criticize us for not having enough business sense because we're "playing with old junk". The satisfaction of taking a beautifully engineered piece of iron from a better era and putting food on a bunch of dinner tables with it can't be beat though.
Grapplewrench