• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skagit Iron and Steel Works, Sedro Wooley, Washington

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
This was sad to see....20171028_170838.jpg

Attachments

• 20171028_170030.jpg
    20171028_170030.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 114
  • 20171028_170530.jpg
    20171028_170530.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 106
  • 20171028_170018.jpg
    20171028_170018.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 105

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That looks like one of the yards down in South Bend, Washington.

Jim1960

I learned more history on this yarder today.
It was owned by Richard Oatfield of Willapa Log and sold at the RB Hoquiam auction in 89 to one of the Harkness' from up north here. Barnhart bought it from him right after buying it at auction.
I worked on that yarder out of Granite Falls, WA in 1988.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
She's starting to get fixed up pretty nice now. New Mainline frictions, just picked up a new Mainline for it today, lots of little things happening with it.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Not sure of you guys have heard or not but rumor is that Wayne Stone bought Millacoma's two 199's.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Just curious are you required to leave all those rotten snags standing in the clearcut for wildlife habitat? d.d,

Last edited:

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
No they're not merch so no reason to spend the time and money to cut them.

We have 2,000 feet of skyline out right now.

dirty4fun

Hallback, sure good to see you got things sorted out on the machine and are getting to put the machine to work, and start paying for it's self. If you want to put more pictures on the site we sure will be happy to look at them.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
We had to bury deadman for the front quarters. The other five were good stumps.

I would like to get another large Skagit but Wayne has the three I would want most.
I would like a 98 or 99 and the 199 for a show piece but most likely will build a 739.

TorkelH

Great, the brand really need some enthusiasts ;). I think maybe the BU98's is the easiest to find (do Wayne Stone still advertising his?) but both them and the BU99's are used for gravel. And of course, production numbers were way higher on the 98's.
Have you ever been thinking about going for a Berger, according to Pete Dahlgren it was extreme difference in the milling accurancy of the gears on the Berger in disadvantage to a Skagit they had!

TorkelH

I have spent some time trying to find out what happened with th BU199's and the only two I found was Millicoma's. I know at around end of the nineties it was at least 3 machines in very good order working for MMB on Vancouver Island. Additional also one of the oldest for BCFP (the Tasmania one) was sold for scrap on an auction in Chemainus. The other three I don't know, I am very sure two of them had left hand cab like the BU739 and was the last two built. They may be stored in some gravel pit in interior BC or farther east or they may have been scrapped as well...

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I would love to have a 199. Bill Paulson said they were a bad hoist though, he would know as Moe had either 2 or 3 of them.
I really want one to restore though.