• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Site visits by OHS

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Not often enough. :eek:
Even though I do pull off some "off the wall" stunts from time to time,
could you imagine how much more dangerous this industry would be if there was no OSHA?
Having them around or just knowing (and fearing) that they may come around helps keep people walking on the straight and narrow.
I like what I do and would really like to live another day without any accidents ruining my day.
OSHA helps me increase my chances of making it home after a long day or night.
That way, I can wake up and do it all over again....and thats a good thing :drinkup
:cool:

Grader4me

:iagree After reading your post I guess my first post was thrashing OHS for being a little slack in my area. They are spread quite thin throughout the province. You are right as without them safety in the work place might not be followed as good as it should. Fear of them showing up on the worksite is a good thing as employers/employees will hopefully follow the practice of "due dilligence" and work safely. Thanks for your post ROP as it was well said. :)

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Only once has OSHA showed up on a job while I was on it. To bad for me since I had just complained the day before that the operator didn't have the trench sloped back enough. Everyone in the company though I called them. Only one of the old timers that really knew me and believed that I didn't call them would let me on his job. So I quit, good thing though got a job offer for $1/hr more and a nicer machine. Good thing OSHA ain't around me more with some of the things I've done, but I do know where to draw the line I've never got anyone hurt.

Dualie

my company has had one osha violation since it was founded in 1952. I pride myself on that fact.

NOT ONE SINGLE loss time work related accident. And to be honest we had the violation coming. No harness in an aerial work platform. I was there, I should have stopped him on the spot but didn't.

Now if you want to talk about being spread thin. The entire state of California only has 2 workers comp investigators. MY workers comp is INSANE.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Now if you want to talk about being spread thin. The entire state of California only has 2 workers comp investigators. MY workers comp is INSANE.

Thats exactly the point and what Pete said above. We call OHSA (Worksafe) the "Toothless Tiger" over here. They are understaffed, underfunded and often inadequatley trained or experienced.

The Insurance Underwriters know this so they submit their industry premiums accordingly (and the government oversees premium charges). If OHSA was more visible, more open and more approachable then I'm sure the industry could clean up those minority morons who result, due to claims, in the 60 to 70% inflated premiums (the premiums are a direct reflection of the cost of claims). Accidents will happen and those unfortunate people involved deserve all the help they get....but there are operators out there that just go looking for trouble....and we all end up paying for it.

I'd like OHSA to come out and review my operation.....and I'd like to get a discount on my workers comp for being a safe operator:mad:.....unfortunatley, the person who gets most injured in my company is me:eek::(

Lashlander

unfortunatley, the person who gets most injured in my company is me:eek::(

That seems to be the way it goes sometimes. A couple years ago I got my year end report from our insuance company. We had five accidents during the past year. Four of them were one of the owners.

EquipmentEditor

How do you prepare?

This is a great thread. So, if you know OSHA and other regulators can appear unannounced, what sort of things must you do to survive a site inspection?

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
The best thing to do is do a daily checklist, and follow it to the letter. Show training records, take photos of the violations, then immediately correct the problem, and take photos the same day of the corrections. Make sure the photos have dates on them, and have them printed immediately.

Be courteous, and professional. If they ask for safety plans, MSDS, etc. Make sure you have them, and present them.

If they ask when you do safety inspections, respond, "Constantly"

I have had OSHA inspectors on my job sites, and received a few violations. I did the above, and the fines were waived, and violations disappeared. Because I showed immediate improvement, and documented everything.

Dont get caught with your pants down. While some of the regulations may seem rediculous, make an effort to follow them.

OneWelder

At a seminar a few years we were told osha was suppose to insp. every const. site that they drove by. At the time there was a Co. being insp. several times a day- they tried claim harrasment but could not make it stick. Osha office was only down the street

WV_Logger

i know here theres a person with OSHA you can call and they will come out and give your company a mock inspection and give you a report on everything that needs fixed and that will give you a good chance of not getting too big of a ticket when they show up for real.

i know here OSHA themselves will tell you, youre getting a ticket for something, they actually came out once and couldnt find anything wrong with the equipment or workers so they wrote a ticket for cutting a tree that touched another tree on the way down, so enless theres some other circumstance that they wont stay around to inspect (cold or snowy..happened once to us, the inspector said it was too cold and to make sure to wear out PPE and be careful) your getting a ticket in WV

Red Bank

The company I work for hired a retired OSHA inspector to come in and do a mock inspection. He surveyed two of the construction crews that were doing sewer pipe bursting. His report had tallied up $350000 in potential fines if that had been a real inspection. It was very educational for everyone involved, but after reading the report my opinion was that you can't perform to the letter of the law and maintain a profit, there is going to be give and take, and you have to decide how much liability you are willing to assume. I am not saying to put anyone's life at risk, I am talking about the little things that would dollar a company to death.

Grader4me

The company I work for hired a retired OSHA inspector to come in and do a mock inspection. He surveyed two of the construction crews that were doing sewer pipe bursting. His report had tallied up $350000 in potential fines if that had been a real inspection. It was very educational for everyone involved, but after reading the report my opinion was that you can't perform to the letter of the law and maintain a profit, there is going to be give and take, and you have to decide how much liability you are willing to assume. I am not saying to put anyone's life at risk, I am talking about the little things that would dollar a company to death.

I'm curious as to the little things that you are refering to. If the inspector tallied up that much, then your construction crews must have had some major safety issues.
When it comes to the safety of our workers there is no take. ..it's give them what's needed to be safe..Little things can turn into big things rather quickly,then people start getting hurt.

Last edited:

Red Bank

The little things included operator manuels in Spanish, lack of ear plugs, lack of dust masks, and because we work in sewer restoration, lack of a way to sanitize our equipment. We were told we had to wash all equipment down after getting the tools out of the ditch. We had to incorporate daily and weekly safety talks. Which, don't misunderstand me these are all good things made to protect our workers and I am a firm believer in safety but it was an eye-opening experience when you think you are doing everything right and find out that to the letter of the law that you have barely scratched the surface. And granted, an actual inspection would probably not go that far into detail, because the guy was being paid to find everything, not just what OSHA would observe and probably cite us on. this happened last year and if I can find a copy of the report I will try to cite more examples of what I am talking about. As far as the company goes we have been trained by a local company in trenching procedures and confined space procedures as well as competent persons training. And the inspector said we would have to replace the entire cable on one of our winches because it was the wrong size and wrong load rating-the machine was brand new from the manufacturer, who do agree with in that case.:beatsme

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Misery loves company... LOL:

And the inspector said we would have to replace the entire cable on one of our winches because it was the wrong size and wrong load rating-the machine was brand new from the manufacturer, who do agree with in that case.:beatsme

Hi Red Bank,

Good question... and I don't know the answer. I see this stuff all the time,
working for different agencies of the government, in the fire fighting arena.

Conflicting regulations... :confused:

It's definitely hard to deal with.... And I'm sure I just helped you a whole bunch... LOL... :eek:... :beatsme

OCR

surfer-joe

May 23, 2001

Mr. Dino V. Gigante
45 Wanders Drive
Hingham, MA 02043

Re: CPL 2-0.124 ("Multi-Employer Citation Policy"); self-employed contractors

Dear Mr. Gigante:

This responds to your March 8, 2001, letter to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). We have paraphrased your questions below:

Question 1: Can OSHA cite a self-employed individual working on a construction site for violations of OSHA construction standards?

Answer: No. If a construction worker is truly self-employed — is not an employee — and has no employees working for him or her, OSHA has no authority to require that individual to abide by OSHA construction requirements.

Question 2: What can be done to address unsafe practices by a self-employed individual?

Answer: Although OSHA has no authority to issue citations to a self-employed construction worker (with no employees), where a general contractor has hired that individual to work at the site, the general contractor can, by contract, require that individual to abide by the practices set out in OSHA standards. In other words, OSHA's lack of compliance authority does not restrict the general contractor from instituting workplace safety requirements on the individual by contract. Note, though, that OSHA does not have the authority to compel the individual to abide by such contract requirements.

OSHA construction requirements must be met by employers where employees are exposed to a hazard created by a self-employed worker. The extent of an employer's obligations regarding hazards created by others is explained in [CPL 02-00-124 (formerly CPL 2-0.124)] ("Multi-Employer Citation Policy")
========================================
OK, so OSHA can not cite an individual working for himself. So you are working as a sub-contractor and the prime gets cited for your non-compliance. You get canned immediately and the prime pays the citation. (unless he can beat it in court or on appeal) The prime will not hire you anymore for his projects, and he lets others know that you are prone to being not in compliance. No winner here.

As I mentioned before, no one can meet every standard to every inspectors satisfaction. All regulations are subject to the inspectors interpretation. On most jobs, you will be required to meet regs from several entities. Again, there is no way to satisfy every one as some conflict no matter what. Then it becomes the competing agencies job to decide who has the better jurisdiction. I've been caught in that pig pen before.

Even if you are working for yourself and there is no one else involved in the job, you can still be investigated by OSHA, IF, there is an injury or death on the site that may have been caused by you or your negligence. As most people that have an individual contractor perform work for them act as their own general contractor, I'd bet some money that OSHA could and would cite them.

Construction and mining safety has to become a cultural backstay of your company be it a corporation with many employees or an individual working for himself. That means everyone takes his personal safety onto himself as a personal responsibility, but also everyone else's safety working on the job as well, whether they work for the same company or someone else. It has to be drilled into everyone constantly and employees that just don't get it, have to be let go.

I'm of mixed minds concerning OSHA and MSHA. I'd like to think that all contractors and miners would act responsibility and work hard to ensure the safety of man and equipment. For sure job costs would be lower. But the bad apples spoiled the barrel for all of us unfortunately and what we have today is the result, a mixed bag of regulations of which some are good and some not so good. This is big brother looking over your shoulder all the time and there is no getting away from him.

Sooner or later you will get inspected by someone, it may not be OSHA. Best bet is be as prepared as you can be in all aspects of job safety.

Grader4me

Canada created a new bill that became law a few years back. This law requires companies to practice due dilligence at the work place. Below is why this law was created. Its a shame workers have to die to make things happen.

Why was Bill C-45 (Section 217.1 in the Criminal Code) created?

Bill C-45, also known as the "Westray Bill", was created as a result of the 1992 Westray coal mining disaster in Nova Scotia where 26 miners were killed after methane gas ignited causing an explosion. Despite serious safety concerns raised by employees, union officials and government inspectors at the time, the company instituted few changes. Eventually, the disaster occurred.

After the accident the police and provincial government failed to secure a conviction against the company or three of its managers. A Royal Commission of Inquiry was established to investigate the disaster. In 1998, the Royal Commission made 74 recommendations. The findings of this commission (in particular recommendation 73) were the movement that led to Bill C-45.

Last edited: