• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Single row of 8 capacity ?

Iron Horse

Can anyone tell me what is the legal carrying capacity of a single row of 8 and 2 rows of 8 in Australia ? I need a cheap trailer to carry my 23 tonne excavator , the seller said it would carry it easily but i can't find out from the RTA if it will be legal . I am also interested in what it can carry in the US .

Attachments

• Rodgers low loader.jpg
    Rodgers low loader.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 635

Chaz Murray

Can anyone tell me what is the legal carrying capacity of a single row of 8 and 2 rows of 8 in Australia ? I need a cheap trailer to carry my 23 tonne excavator , the seller said it would carry it easily but i can't find out from the RTA if it will be legal . I am also interested in what it can carry in the US .

In the US with 2 rows of 8 in some states it is allowed 60,000lbs and a few states like florida will give 66,000lbs... A single row of 8 I have no clue what would be allowed

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It used to be in Washington state you got 550 pounds per cross sectional inch of tire. A 10.00 - 20 tire was good for 5,500 pounds times eight would be 44,000 pounds. But if you went to a larger cross section you could get 660 pounds per inch. A 12 inch wide tire gave you 7,920 pound per tire. You used to only see that on front axles with the big singles and an axle rating of 15,000 pounds.

I would not be able to guess about the great down under but since you are on the bottom end of the world I would think gravity wouldn't hold you as tight and you could go a lot heavier:)

Iron Horse

I went to the RTA today , and asked a truck inspector what it could carry , i handed him the photo . He made a call to the top guy and came back to me and said "would you consider putting a prime mover under the front of it ?" I felt like saying , no i was going to use a team of bullocks . He returned to the phone and said "yes he would " , he came back and said i could carry 12 ton on it in that case . I said thank's and left shaking my head to myself . So i'm still looking for the answer , if their all that dumb i think i could bluff my way out of a fine with my 23 ton excavator as none of them would know any different .

OneWelder

When I had my lowbed A single row was considered to be a single axle- two row tandem axle
they would how ever count the extra tires when fig. tire load
helpful if you run the sm. tires

Last edited:

oversize

Occupation
low loader driver

The RTA is probley correct as A 3 rows of 8 is allowd about 6o to 70 ton's when opened you need to look at your permit to see what weight you can get with this type of trailler which depends on the how wide you have the trailler open.

I wood be easyer to just get cheap tri axle to carry that smaller machine