1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Shut down for month's due to heavy rain...

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Welder Dave, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Last year had 2 1/2 month's of steady rain and couldn't even think of trying to pump it off until the forecast looked decent. Didn't think it could get worse but this year looks like it could be. Anybody else been shut down by heavy rain and flooding for month's on end? It's beyond frustrating. I probably have over 150,000 gallons of water to pump and then the ground has to dry out.

Spud_Monkey and DMiller like this.
  2. terex herder

terex herder Senior Member

I'm dry and crops are burning up.

3. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    We're soaked here. Rained all this week here in Central AL with more rain forecasted through the 4th weekend. Sick and tired of rain and mud.

Spud_Monkey, DMiller and mitch504 like this.
  4. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Me too!!
    I am in the middle of a big job for the state DNR, I am a month behind. They always say that all work must be done early in June, because the accountants in the capital say so. They want everything a clean break from one fiscal year to the next.

I got so tired of hearing about how accounting trumps weather, I finally said, "Hell, rain is a Natural Resource, you stop it!"

5. Ct Farmer

Ct Farmer Well-Known Member

It’s a dust bowl here. Exactly 6/10ths of an inch in the last 45 days. Been irrigating heavy far earlier than usual. Lost the pump on one unit today, fortunately had a rebuilt spare on the shelf. Just finished the change over 15 minutes ago. Get it back in the pond tomorrow .

Way behind on planting. Pinched my finger in a $&#@ ringlock clamp yesterday. Not been a good month.

6. Welder Dave

In an odd way it's nice to see I'm not the only one battling excessive rain. I've got a mile long MX track through the tree's so it's not the easiest to pump the water off. The parking lot is wet too and there's a couple large tree's blown over that I can't get to till it dries up. Sick and tired of the rain and mud is an understatement. Not sure about my county but another county declared an agricultural disaster. A farmer on the news said he only got 30% of his crops in and likely can't get any more in this year.

7. lumberjack

lumberjack Senior Member

I’m a couple hours west of CM... I plan on not working November till the end of Feb, there’s always some work to do but it’s less stressful year round to budget that way. This year we had 10” of rain per month for the first 4 months, May was around half that, and June seems wetter than May. My guess is we’ve had our normal year’s worth of rain already. In the next 15 days there’s 4 days with less than a 50% chance of rain and only two days without rain in the depiction.

It’ll be like that sometimes.

8. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    The forecast is not good down here at all. Tuesday we are getting the first 5 pieces of an 8x10 box culvert delivered to a site. Rented a 349 to set them. The schedule is tight and we can't wait for the rain to stop so it's going to be "fun"...

That's not a bad idea - the Nov to Feb schedule. It's almost that way for me know. This year I basically paid my guys a month and half to piddle around the yard because it was too wet to work.

9. Raildudes dad

Raildudes dad Senior Member

CM1995 - over dig, lots of bedding stone and big pump(s) Had a culvert replacement that drawing down the impoundment just up stream really didn't help. The sheet pile dam leaked like a sieve. Had 1 - 6 inch pump and a couple 3's. Had to rent a BIG pump out of Chicago to keep up. Money became no object when the big rental crane was going to used to set them (16x8 -8 ft sections IIRC)
    Another segway. Had another culvert replacement with precast box 108 feet long. Contractor calls the local rigging contractor that has cranes all around the US. Estimator comes out. They send a 350? ton capacity crane. The operator starts setting up and says I can't reach the end. Now these boxes were coming 2 to an 8 axle trailer from 4 hours away. There's 4 of them parked on the road by this point. Estimator drives up and says to the contractor you moved the set up spot back. Contractor says "don't think so" collaborated by my inspector. First crane packs up and leaves. About 90 minutes later rolls up a 500 ton Liebherr - biggest mobile I've ever seen in person. Later i go to his yard. They not only have one but 2 here in town. And he doesn't buy used. Every mobile crane and support vehicles are painted in company colors IMRON no less. Has a sign at the gate facing inward "Drive safely and courteously - our name is on the side of your vehicle"

Spud_Monkey, CM1995 and DMiller like this.
  10. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Had been all too wet here for a LONG period, and Cool to Cold where even grass would not grow. Then turned off Dry and a little cooler than the norm but OK, mowed yesterday as renter baled the brome field, we BOTH had to stop regularly and use a leak blower to unpack radiator screens, drier than a Popcorn Fart, now today, first round of rain thru and next loads to last until late tonight, may not end until Thursday next week. At least most here got the baling done, crops are needing a long hard drink. Do not however need more water in the MO River drainage basin, it is still higher than average for the year point.

Spud_Monkey likes this.
  11. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

I have a great idea. The accountants in the Capitol can pay you now for the rest of the job. To be completed when time allows. Everybody wins. Do you think it would work?

12. simonsrplant

simonsrplant Senior Member

Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
    I'm fighting with rain too... Have picked up some irregular work so balancing jobs, parts, money and now weather

13. .RC.

.RC. Well-Known Member

Feel free to send some over to our part of the world.

Spud_Monkey, Ct Farmer and DMiller like this.
  14. Welder Dave

The county I'm in declared a state of emergency.

John Canfield and DMiller like this.
  15. Don.S

Don.S Well-Known Member

Where are you? Over here in southern Quebec we need rain badly. Burn bans have been on since the snow melted and guys where out in the fields working land 3 weeks earlier then normal.

16. Welder Dave

Central Alberta.

simonsrplant, Spud_Monkey and DMiller like this.
  17. Spud_Monkey

Spud_Monkey Senior Member

Retired Combat Vet Mechanic/Welder
    It's been a scorcher compared to last years wet season. Hits about 100 plus by 1600 hrs on thermo thing a ma jig, come 1400 hrs one is running for the shade. That lasts about 3 days here at time in SE Montana sometimes 4, though around evening on 3rd or 4th day storms from Billings come rolling in cooling things off for the next day. Beautiful to watch from miles away though better park the vehicles under trees from the hail. Come next day creeps up to upper 70's to 80's and process begins again. Last winter was weak so bugs are out more than usual and so is all these critters. Point being, trying to skin trees of bark and only getting one a day done, they are 20 plus ft long 18 in diameter at most doing by hand.

Ct Farmer and DMiller like this.
  18. Welder Dave

19. Norwegian Steam

Norwegian Steam Active Member

rained the better part of January/February here in SoCal, shut down grading and utility work more or less until March, which is when everything got shut down for COVID. tough times for a lot of guys.

DMiller likes this.