1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Show Me Your 'Thumbs!'

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by Eddiebackblade, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Eddiebackblade

Eddiebackblade Well-Known Member

If you have caught any of the 'Tough looking Cat 320' Thread, you will probably be aware that here in the UK we just do not get 'Hydraulic Thumbs'.
    It is either a Grapple or a full hydraulic Selector grab for us, so I want to know more.
    I have heard the term progressive used, but uncertain as to the difference.

It would be good to get a look at the different makes and how they integrate with Quick Couplers.

So please 'Show your Thumbs'.:D

Thanks
    Eddie

2. cps

cps Senior Member

plant mechanic
    I think we're going to see a new project on here soon, eh Eddie?

3. ddigger

ddigger Senior Member

contractor,owner operater
    Mine is a pin on progresive link style. I will on my next hoe have a quick coupler.Note in the first picture how worn down the tines are. I welded on ripper shanks with replaceable teeth and solved that problem.

Brad_4.JPG

00635.jpg

HPIM1343.JPG

4. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    A progressive link thumb gives you more rotation as the bucket cycles.

I had one on a 321CLCR that worked great. I have pictures of it somewhere.

Here is an example of a progressive link thumb. It has extra linkage to match the buckets rotation.
    products-rocklandprogressive.jpg

5. Eddiebackblade

I'm learning already, I'd never come across the extra link on a 'Thumb' before and still pondering what effect it has.
    Maybe a comparison video or two would help!:D

Cps you never know what's in the pipeline.;)

6. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Here is a page from the Cat website that explains the progressive link thumb a little better.

Now for a strange bucket/thumb combo I found this on Machinery Trader

80765492.jpg

80765494.jpg

80765496.jpg

Then you have the Krypto Klaw from Rockland.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  7. tootalltimmy

tootalltimmy Senior Member

Pretty standard CWS thumb, standard link.
    Has a wedge type quick coupler

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  8. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

One thing for sure you want with a thumb is a coupler. It sure is a pain trying to beat a pin through all the extra holes if you need to change buckets without one.

Second, if you can go with the progressive link. The direct acting like Timmy posted above is OK, but you run out of motion with it right about when you need a few more degrees to place something. They just won't follow the bucket around far enough. The progressive link style thumb I have on my 330CL will follow the bucket all but about the last 2 or 3 inches of travel, at the teeth. You can really lay something out there with it, and grab from many more positions. I have the Cat coupler with it as well, and it is a hard combo to beat.

Third, be sure to get one rugged enough so you are not bending the tines when you grab something tough, or at a bad angle. I have had weak ones get bent before, and then they don't line up right.

Good Luck with your search. Once you have a thumb, you will wonder how you ever got along without one.

9. N.CarolinaDozer

N.CarolinaDozer Senior Member

Heavy Equipment Operator
    Here's a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

10. expatracer

expatracer Well-Known Member

hoe operator

Attached Files:

11. CRAFT

CRAFT Senior Member

30 yrs Owner/Operator
    Eddie ! ...I'll take some pics this weekend too of both of mine to show what they mean when the thumb cyl is stroked all the way out and the bucket is curled all the way out ..... the thumb can not travel as far as the bucket will ... if you are remotely thinking of a thumb don't cheap out ...GET THE PROGRESSIVE LINK ONE ... when I was changing up to the hydraulic QC there were none available imediately with out a longer wait .... the progressive link also uses a shorter cylinder than the same brand counter part so where the saddle gets welded to the stick its a different spacing so its not like you can chage it up later with out a total re/re

12. Eddiebackblade

Thanks for all the pictures, I have grasped the progressive link concept and can see the advantage.
    However the little link from CM1995 to the 'Krypto Claw' really got me interested.
    Does anyone own or operate one?

I'd love to see more as the company does not have a video of it in action.

To me this would probably be what the UK market was missing, if it was as good as it looks?
    No welding of a bracket for a grapple to a machine, and no extra hydraulics for a selector grab. It also integrates well with our pin grabber hitches, and obviously should perform similar to a bucket and thumb.
    Not that I would know how a bucket and thumb work, because we dont have them yet!:D

13. bigkit

bigkit Member

I'd love a bit of help, this thumb thing really has never got going here, don't really know why not! I've also been considering a hydraulic thumb and eddie's right there are none here in the UK. Any tips on the best make, it seems I need a progressive thumb for a Hitachi EX150/5.

Any advice gratefully received. :)

14. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

Eddie

One thought I have about the Krypto Claw, and I have not ran one, but the satndard thumb or this claw operates as electric over hydraulic, so there is not really any fine touch with it. With a standard thumb, when you need a very fine touch such as picking up something fragile, you get the thumb close and then finish the grab with the bucket hydraulics. With the integrated claw you loose that ability, so if it is important to keep the fine touch, keep that in mind. For most applications, this would not be a problem, but it is important sometimes.

15. tonka

tonka Senior Member

Equipment Operator
    yeah i'm with jerry on this...i don't think i like the Krypto Claw...

16. Digger Dan

Digger Dan Well-Known Member

I fabricated and welded a hydraulic thumb on the six ton sumitomo machine I have in Ireland. My dad and brother run it over there on the farm and it works well. The machine was already piped for a hammer with a floor pedal activating it so we looked around a bit and found we could get the circuit to be double acting which was a huge bonus and encouraged the build.
    One mistake I made with it is the cylinder I used was a bit big and thus made the thumb a bit slow. If i was living there full time I would make the effort to put a smaller one on it.
    I made it a few years ago when I was home on holiday and got bored after a couple of days.

I sure wished you could have tried it eddie cause you would be sold by now:Banghead

17. Digger Dan

Digger Dan Well-Known Member

Look online for thumb plans or offer to buy ready done plans from a us based company and get a local fab shop to make it for you, it really is a simple thing to do once you have the proper dimensions. Fab shop should be someone who works on or makes excavator buckets ideally as they will have access to all the proper pins and bushings ect

18. tootalltimmy

tootalltimmy Senior Member

I have not gotten good with my thumb yet. Need more seat time. The point about using the bucket to apply fine pressure is very good info. I was picking up brush that had laid around and become much softer than green wood. The thumb seemed to smash right through it. Like a bull in a china shop.

A progressive link would be nice but a good operator can do wonders with a standard link thumb also.

Attached Files:

19. expatracer

expatracer Well-Known Member

hoe operator
    the trick is to practice picking up a pop can with out crushing it;) won a few lunches with that one

20. RokLnd

RokLnd New Member

Eddiebackblade....please contact me at alock@rocklandmfg.com if you would like some video and more information about the Krypto Klaw. I can explain more about how this product works.