• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Should I wipe off ooze?

emmett518

When a joint oozes grease, should I wipe up the residual, or just leave it?

Truck Shop

When a joint oozes grease, should I wipe up the residual, or just leave it?

To some your question might seem silly--to me not so. Depending on truck or equipment.
The fact that I work on trucks-One thing that pi$$'s me off is #1 people who won't take the time to wipe off the zerk before greasing #2 people who over grease
till it's a cowpie then leave the mess smeared and hanging so you end up with it all over your sleeves, hair, face and ears. Collecting dirt and crap as it rolls through
a unpaved lot. Only making for a bigger mess when it comes time to repair something. #3 jack a$$'s who won't scrape the old piles of grease from the edge of a fifth
wheel with grease all over the frame. DOT loves seeing that-Excessive Grease On Frame {that's a ticket because they can't see loose nuts and bolts}.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
KW Project sleeper out floor is 1/2" thick with thrown u-joint grease, just nasty to get around and WILL get cleaned when first chance after running.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I prefer to save that task for a minion if I can... but yeah I clean up what comes out. I leave the little bit on the fitting to keep them from rusting but wipe them off at the next greasing.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
True, my one grease minion needed several instruction periods to get to satisfactory levels, and remember which end of the grease gun to take off.

skyking1

I scraped on the excavator for an afternoon, removing all the hardened grease. Now that it is clean, it is nothing to waste a few rags and remove the fresh stuff that comes out. Keep after it.

skyking1

Yes I have not pressure washed that machine but now I would do so. it makes a hell of a mess to wash all that down on the ground, if you don't have a dedicated wash bay. I try to physically remove all I can before pressure washing, and just stay the heck away from the pins and joints, and concentrate on the large surfaces. Those greasy areas are normal. People who go all anal on them are just forcing water where it does not belong.