1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Should I take on this project? 50s Cat D4

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by Lumberjack Matt, May 15, 2021.

1. Don Shilling

Don Shilling Well-Known Member

Retired, multi occupation
    At least you are in a positive frame of mind. Not counting my D21, most of my used equipment have been "learning experiences" to get running again! My current project is an 8N Ford that I should have spent my money on a good running one. But, I'll know just what condition its in when I get it finished.

DMiller, Sam1734 and 56wrench like this.
  2. Sam1734

Sam1734 Well-Known Member

Not trying to rob a post here, but I have a 801 power master with the 177 ci engine that is basicly similar to the 8N and I have issues with that thing too. It is my nemesis. It has literally turned me against gas burners for farm/heavy equipment.

DMiller likes this.
  3. Bluox

Bluox Senior Member

Since your this far in take the top plate of the clutch housing and see what kind of disaster is going on in there .
    Also check hyd . pump is not froze up.
    Bob

Lumberjack Matt and DMiller like this.
  4. Lumberjack Matt

Lumberjack Matt Well-Known Member

Drained and removed the hydraulic pump (thing is way heavier than it looks), no water in the fluid, and the valves appear to be good. Some grit came out, but doesn't look as bad as I thought it would be. Here are the leftovers from the bottom of the tank.
    PXL_20210630_035119906.jpg

Drained the clutch and flywheel compartments. Most concerning stuff was in there. Not much water, a lot of sludge, and some metal pieces. They look like gear teeth, but too small to be flywheel teeth. Since I'm pulling the engine, I'll get a better look at this later.

Transmission fluid looked good. Clearly had a little water mixed in, but I've seen way worse. No grit or gear teeth in the bottom. Big relief.

Steering clutch compartment full of water and oil. At this point it's clear I'll have to replace the steering clutches... was already kind of planning on this though because of how the levers feel when I pull them.

Final drive oil was pristine.

I filmed all the drainings here. Skip to 13:06 to see the deluge of water from the steering clutch compartment.

Next up is pulling the radiator and injection pump. I've only snapped one bolt so far...I know it sounds silly, but this is my #1 gauge of how bad a project is. There's nothing that slows down progress more than a snapped bolt.

Not sure if I should keep posting in here, don't want to keep bumping this thread and spamming the forum and annoying everyone. Let me know if I should stop, otherwise I'll keep posting updates.

Gasnoil, doublewide, Jonas302 and 3 others like this.
  5. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Keep posting your progress, everybody likes to see old iron come back to life.

6. Sam1734

Sam1734 Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree!!!

Lumberjack Matt, 77Ford and DMiller like this.
  7. Don Shilling

This is extremely interesting! It lets people know what to expect with old machinery. AND, lots of pics!

DMiller, Sam1734 and Lumberjack Matt like this.
  8. Shivan Dookeran

Shivan Dookeran Active Member

love the dedication u puttimng on .. keep up the work bro

DMiller, Sam1734 and Lumberjack Matt like this.
  9. Lumberjack Matt

Got the radiator and injection pump removed. Also opened up another inspection cover on the crankcase. It just seems that there is this grit/gravel all throughout the engine. It has the consistency of something you would see at the bottom of a creek bed.

Here is the output of the filter tower to the fuel rack (I believe this should be filtered fuel). The o-ring here was completely cracked in half, so that's probably the source of all the diesel in the crank case:
    PXL_20210707_003132714.MP.jpg

The fuel rack itself looks like it's in good condition:
    PXL_20210707_003025006.jpg

Here is the inside of the inspection cove. Rods completely covered in very loose scale. Scale also sprinkled all over everything:
    PXL_20210707_002808278.jpg PXL_20210707_002820391.jpg

It's very odd. Nothing is seized or corroded through, but everything has this rust/grit completely coating it. I feel pretty confident that I can get this engine running. It will just require a complete disassembly and cleaning.

10. FarmWrench

FarmWrench Well-Known Member

Table Potato farmer
    Keep posting. I'm considering going down the same road with a D4d.

56wrench, Sam1734 and DMiller like this.
  11. Lumberjack Matt

Will do! Also trying to record most of it and putting it on youtube (mostly so I remember how everything goes back together).

12. Lumberjack Matt

Pretty sure I have everything detached and all the geometries right to pull the engine without breaking anything. I'll find out tomorrow!
    PXL_20210712_024004748.MP.jpg PXL_20210712_023728167.jpg PXL_20210712_023653772.jpg

56wrench, DMiller and Sam1734 like this.
  13. Puffie40

Puffie40 Well-Known Member

That grit is 'rust blooms' - Those tend to appear on iron in very humid environments. Given the oil pan was full of water, that is perfect conditions for creating a sauna. A wire brush will knock them down, and once you get the motor running, the oil will prevent the rust from continuing.

It's a good call to tear down the motor. Those rust blooms would accelerate the wear inside the engine.

Not sure what the teeth you found in clutch housing might be from. The steering clutches have small teeth on the plates, but I don't know if the main clutch had any teeth aside from the splines on the input shaft.

59 North and DMiller like this.
  14. Lumberjack Matt

Got the engine out and oil pan off. Actually looks better than I was expecting.
    PXL_20210717_034850124.jpg

Lot of surface rust on the rods and crank, but bottom end of the cylinders are pristine (ignore my finger print smudges).
    PXL_20210717_034958679.PORTRAIT.jpg

If I had to guess, the hangup with it fully rotating is the camshaft. That thing is rough.

PXL_20210717_035012937.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210717_035022396.PORTRAIT.jpg

15. Lumberjack Matt

Here is the inside of the oil pan, in case anyone wants some chocolate pudding.
    PXL_20210717_034838914.jpg

16. catman13

catman13 Senior Member

refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
    that cam shaft is toast

56wrench and DMiller like this.
  17. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Yeah no polishing that one.

56wrench and Sam1734 like this.
  18. Lumberjack Matt

Yeah I've already started looking into finding a new one. I'm gonna dip it into some evaporust just to see how bad it is. Hoping to get it out tonight.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    56wrench, Sam1734 and DMiller like this.
  19. Don Shilling

Camshafts can be reground. Might be worth looking into.

20. Lumberjack Matt

Cam gear won't be winning any beauty pageants either.

Whoever invented evapo-rust, I'm about to put his kids through college.
    PXL_20210718_034235848.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    DMiller and Sam1734 like this.