• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Should I take on this project? 50s Cat D4

ZGrant231

A few seals and some labor could be a cheap dozer. Pony motors kept Here is one put together out of a few old cats I keep around for a cleanup cat. There are times a small dozer is priceless.

Attachments

• 20210517_175650.jpg
    20210517_175650.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 77
  • 20210513_140311.jpg
    20210513_140311.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 71

Lumberjack Matt

Well it took some doing but I was able to get her rolling. I about maxed out my 6 ton winch and it didn't budget, but as soon as I put a trail jack under a grouser it popped free. I have someone coming to help me load it up on Wednesday... it's going to be cramped getting the trailer lined up. Hopefully the track brakes work ok.

skip to 16:10 in here to see it move:

Last edited:

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Well done Matt. The blade set-up looks like a Caterpillar build apart from the tilt. Those lift rams should have shims behind the end plate on the barrel so when they weep you remove a shim and rebolt it. The hose end on the lift cylinders are reusable. On that model there's no live drive to the winch so the master clutch must be engaged to operate it and the levers on the far R/H side are a break lever and a lever to engage the winch which are adjusted through the inspection plate you removed.

Sam1734

Well it took some doing but I was able to get her rolling. I about maxed out my 6 ton winch and it didn't budget, but as soon as I put a trail jack under a grouser it popped free. I have someone coming to help me load it up on Wednesday... it's going to be cramped getting the trailer lined up. Hopefully the track brakes work ok.

skip to 16:10 in here to see it move:

I love watching these old machines recovered rather than scrapped.

Sam1734

The video is a different governor, fuel injection pump and engine than what's is a 7U D4 but that bit about the o-ring seal between fuel tower and pump and the end of the fuel gallery still applies.
Yes, When he got to that part was when I thought about this.

Lumberjack Matt

Well, I'm glad I hired a pro to move this thing, otherwise I'd still be out in the woods trying to get the trailer lined up.
PXL_20210526_180547189.jpg

Anyways, it's mine now officially. Here she sits after a nice power washing.
PXL_20210526_231655572.MP.jpg PXL_20210526_231619122.jpg PXL_20210526_231604059.jpg

I guess first order of business will be to change fluids, clean out the radiator, fix the fuel injection leak, and see if she will fire up.

Delmer

crack the drain plugs enough to let out several drops until you know it's the right kind of fluid, that is no water. Then start it up with the old fluids, maybe change the filters if they're real old and cheap. No point in draining the clean oil and leaving all the gunk in the bottom of the pans where it's settled now.