• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Should I leave my current job for less pay?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
When I left the manufacturing plant to come back to Charleston, I took a 10K pay cut.!!!!
Theres ALOT to be said about "living within your means".. I could afford to take the cut, inorder to be home every nite..

Raildudes dad

I am a civil engineer that has worked for the county highway department for 46 years. I could increase my pay by 50% going to a consulting engineering firm. (My daughter is a civil for one of the bigger firms in town). But there it would be strictly project management. My job has a tremendous amount of variety. I managed our Road Maintenance Division for 10 years. The current supervisor (who I hired to be my assistant) still gets me involved as the technical advisor on some of their projects including winter maintenance. I manage the building improvement projects for the facilities manager, supervise the over weight over size permits and the list goes on. My boss knows if it's a difficult project, give it to me and it will get done right the first time.
I can retire, could have a few years ago. But I enjoy my job even if I'm underpaid. I told my daughter, the money isn't everything, it's very important to LIKE and ENJOY what you do.

KBS

Thanks for the feedback guys! Makes me feel better knowing I made the right decision. My pay cut really isn't that bad, I make a decent wage now and at $3 less I can still afford everything while putting away a bit less into my savings. Some of you have taken a much bigger cut than me! Glad everything has worked out for you guys.

Raildudes dad

I missed the past that you took the new position. (Way too busy, maybe I should retire:D). It sounds like they are a good company - 20 year employees tells me it's a good company to work for. Best wishes as you move forward. Keep us posted on how it goes.

KBS

Well there's been a turn of events. Looks like I may not be working for them after all.

Before I even had the phone interview I informed them I had a non refundable vacation booked in August (need 3 work days off) and we shouldn't proceed further if it was a problem. The girl on the phone said it shouldn't be an issue as it's only 3 days but she'll write it down and check with the super intendent to confirm it's ok. We had the phone interview, I passed, so they called me for an in-person interview. Again I confirmed my vacation at the interview and they said they filled out a vacation form and everything was good to go. The job was mine. I received an email today where they said my vacation is not going to work. They have to consider other candidates so they have scheduled interviews for tomorrow.they basically said if they don't find a candidate that's better than me for the job, then they will figure out a way to work around my vacation. If they find someone better than the job is not mine. Honestly I think I'm just going to turn it down. If they wanted me as bad as they said they did , they wouldn't schedule other interviews just because I need 3 days off at the end of August. I'm just frustrated they they strung me a long for 2 weeks, confirmed my vacation was ok multiple times and are now considering other options.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That sucks!
I could understand if you sprung it on them at the last minute but if as you say you had told the multiple times they have a problem of poor communication within their company. I could understand somewhat if you were talking a two week vacation but three days? What would they do if one of their workers got sick or had a parent pass away and the worker needed to attend the funeral?

Hate to say it but it maybe for the best that you found out how they really treat people up front in stead of finding out six months down the road.

Vetech63

Well there's been a turn of events. Looks like I may not be working for them after all.

Before I even had the phone interview I informed them I had a non refundable vacation booked in August (need 3 work days off) and we shouldn't proceed further if it was a problem. The girl on the phone said it shouldn't be an issue as it's only 3 days but she'll write it down and check with the super intendent to confirm it's ok. We had the phone interview, I passed, so they called me for an in-person interview. Again I confirmed my vacation at the interview and they said they filled out a vacation form and everything was good to go. The job was mine. I received an email today where they said my vacation is not going to work. They have to consider other candidates so they have scheduled interviews for tomorrow.they basically said if they don't find a candidate that's better than me for the job, then they will figure out a way to work around my vacation. If they find someone better than the job is not mine. Honestly I think I'm just going to turn it down. If they wanted me as bad as they said they did , they wouldn't schedule other interviews just because I need 3 days off at the end of August. I'm just frustrated they they strung me a long for 2 weeks, confirmed my vacation was ok multiple times and are now considering other options.
Stay optimistic. When one door closes, another opens.

AzIron

Someone feed you a line about it being your job if there doing more interviews because the decision maker has not made a decision yet so not only is there communication problems its sounds like there slightly in decisive

In this market people with any operating experience are employed they wont find anyone else with any experience for what they want to pay

I know people that have worked 25 years at a company and were miserable and hated it but were to lazy or not confident enough to move

Sorry to hear that but if your motivated to move there is other places to move to

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals

I think you got lucky that you got to see their cards before you made the move. If they can't live without you for three days, you will be on the hook for a 'call me anytime' forever. When I interviewed for the company I spent the last 18 years of my career with, we were talking October 1st for me to start. I informed them that I was going elk hunting on the 21st for two weeks. Their reply was, "good we want our employees to get away and recharge once in a while. It makes them better employees". They never messed with anyone's vacation plans as long as they had a bit of notice. Sometimes when your ladder is short you need to step sideways onto a taller ladder. You will find one. Good Luck.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Holy Sh*t.. ALMOST the same thing happened to ME..
When I was recruited by the manuf. plant, I told them I have a 10 day vaca planned in Mexico..
SAME LINE> no refundable airfare & hotel..
It would have been about 3-4 weeks into my new position..
Mngment said> go for it.. have a great time..
All the other workers just thought I had quit..Lol..

Welder Dave

It almost sounds like someone (maybe higher up or a brown noser) didn't like you coming on board and raised issues with you getting higher pay and taking your pre-planned vacation a couple month's after starting. If they do in fact want you, tell them they need to match the pay (day 1) or go pound sand. That's a pretty bad start for someone they sought out. I assume you gave your notice so it's highly likely your current boss is already looking to replace you.