1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

shortening well on lowboy??

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by chris dials, Mar 13, 2020.

1. chris dials

chris dials Member

ive got a 60 ton lowboy thats got a 26 foot well....has anyone ever shortened a lowboy? can it be done? should it be done?

done some researching and dont want to take a major loss selling this thing, and i need a 20 foot well. cant seem to find any used lowboys in this tonnage with a 20 foot well, and new they are 200k +++
    just looking for some opinions on it or if itsbeen done?

2. catman13

catman13 Senior Member

refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
    you may run into bridge law issues shortening it that much 60 tons.
    a picture may help get a better answer

3. chris dials

chris dials Member

I’ll get some pictures tomorrow.
    Most all my hauling is in the woods and that long well gets me fouled up probably 25% of the time. I’m not too concerned about bridge as far as legality on the highway. General makes a 85 ton 20 foot well trailer but needs Jeep and booster for just about any moves on highway.

I was looking at it and it looks like it would be pretty easy to cut the front section (ramps and connection point) off where it’s welded to the beams. Cut out the 6 feet of deck and re attach and possibly add a very short sleeve. Obviously I’d have a good gab shop do the work.

4. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

You would probably have a harder time getting a fab shop to do it than you think for liability reasons

Anything is doable I think you looking at it the way it's the least impact on structure in theory the trailer should be stronger shorter but without looking at it it can be anyone's guess

92U 3406 and Mother Deuce like this.
  5. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Professional Wrench Spinner
    I'm a member on another site and a few HH guys on there have had their trailer lengths increased to better suit their applications. IIRC they had it analyzed by engineers and everything was modified according to the engineered drawings.

6. Nige

Nige Senior Member

So long as there were engineering drawings and stress calculations made and signed off by a registered professional engineer any decent fab shop ought to have no problems doing the job. Without those calculations you’ve probably got two chances, slim & none and Slim left town a while back..... :confused::confused:

Truck Shop and colson04 like this.
  7. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    Not a big deal, If it has a detachable neck. You would revamp the front to make the well shorter, lots of metal there to work with. But personally I would go no shorter than a 22, IMO.

DB2 likes this.
  8. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Honestly, I would cut it out of the center, some fish plating and cap plates on the beams would be easier than doing the front of an RGN. Plus you can add some arch back into it.

Ronsii likes this.
  9. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    I don't know it's easier to break a pencil in the center that trying to break one inch off the end. Besides who needs easy all the time.

AzIron likes this.
  10. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

If your looking for easy then buy another trailer

11. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Very true, but i have shortened quite a few 40' trailers in the center by the same method.

Ronsii likes this.
  12. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    So have I, they were outside frame trailers which makes it easy because of the depth of frame in the center. But they weren't going to be used like a lowboy either. Lowboys never get grossly
    overloaded. Just say'in

13. farmerlund

farmerlund Senior Member

Farmer/ excavator
    oh boy. Two of my favorite truck experts having a debate. I have my bowl of popcorn ready. lol.:D

14. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Well, i was just sayin' too. I've seen a couple of lowboys that had a few feet added in the center using fishplates and caps on the lower flange of the beams. Whether those had an engineer's blessing i don't know. But they were still working.

Ronsii and Labparamour like this.
  15. Theweldor

Theweldor Senior Member

The OP has never said what brand this trailer is. Some are easier than others.

Labparamour likes this.
  16. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Nah, we're just bouncing ideas back and forth. :D

17. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    It really doesn't mater how hard or easy it is to convert, just as long as it works correctly and lasts and meats structural requirements. Just say'n.

Labparamour and RZucker like this.
  18. suladas

suladas Senior Member

One thing i'd consider is how long do you plan to keep it? If you plan to sell you got to consider the potential reduced resale due to cutting it apart. Even if it's done right and you got paperwork from a engineer I believe it will scare away a certain amount of buyers if they can see the work that was done. IMO a modification of cutting off the front so that no one would be able to tell would be better. I know if I was at an auction and seen a trailer welded in the middle I wouldn't even look if it was done proper, i'd be running from it too quickly.

Truck Shop and Nige like this.
  19. terex herder

terex herder Senior Member

I think when all is said and done you will be money ahead to sell your trailer as is and buy exactly what you need, or at least as close to it as you can find.

Truck Shop and Jonas302 like this.
  20. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Just so happens I was contacted this morning about building a custom lowboy (fixed neck, rear load) on an existing set of rails and axles, not sure what it all looks like, but I'll get to see it this week. Shortening it up was mentioned.
    It will be handling a 721 Case loader and a D-5H dozer with a ripper.