1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Shoreline revetment question

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Orchard Ex, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Orchard Ex

Orchard Ex Super Moderator

How do you hold the fabric in place under water for the first rocks for the toe?
    Gotta be a trick to it without getting wet. :)

2. ddigger

ddigger Senior Member

contractor,owner operater
    Yrs ago I did a big riprap job on the coast around a C G Station. We got a hold of a hand held sticher (sewing machine) and sewed pockets in the fabric and inserted pvc pipe into the folds we made, and used the pipe to float and also guide the fabric out on the water over the toe trench, we then just carefully dumped the backing rock onto the fabric and let it sink into place. took a bit of trail and error but in the end workrd well. At low tide the toe was still nearly 12ft underwater and 24ft out. The job was done with a track mounted 880 gradall with a 8ft extention. This was in the mid 80s and after all these yrs the job still looks like we left it. So I guess it worked.

3. Orchard Ex

Orchard Ex Super Moderator

Thanks ddigger. I ended up doing it the old fashioned way but I'll keep this idea filed away for the future. FYI - the "old fashioned way" is to hire somebody else to get cold and wet. :)