• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

shop organization ?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
WOW.!!! Lol
After I retired from the rat race and word got out that there was “a pump guy” in the neighborhood, I HAD TO get parts bins.!!
My parts aren’t big but there’s A LOT OF’M..
Searching thru bags/boxes wasn’t cutting it.!!
I sat down and went thru ALL the new parts with the quantity and made myself an inventory list and am anal about marking them off when I use 1..
AND writing down on a separate sheet when it needs ordering..
Cuz when I don’t have something I NEED… the only person to blame is ME.!!
(& it doesn’t happen often)

Truck Shop

WOW.!!! Lol
After I retired from the rat race and word got out that there was “a pump guy” in the neighborhood, I HAD TO get parts bins.!!
My parts aren’t big but there’s A LOT OF’M..
Searching thru bags/boxes wasn’t cutting it.!!
I sat down and went thru ALL the new parts with the quantity and made myself an inventory list and am anal about marking them off when I use 1..
AND writing down on a separate sheet when it needs ordering..
Cuz when I don’t have something I NEED… the only person to blame is ME.!!
(& it doesn’t happen often)
Biggest thing is checking in inventory-invoice has to match. The other is keeping track of cores,
cores are easy to get bonered on.

Old Doug

It seems like it would take a bunch of hours to run a shop right and not wast alot of money with unused new parts cores and so on.

Truck Shop

It seems like it would take a bunch of hours to run a shop right and not wast alot of money with unused new parts cores and so on.
It does Doug--it's why I spent many hours at Tate Transportation. Not very many on here really
ran a shop, where they were in control of parts, control of work load, control of all paper work
including inspections, control of high dollar inventory {tires}, plus run the after hours on the
road repairs and company owned tow, and was the complaint center for 65 drivers plus dispatch,
and help spec new equipment purchases. Allot of work Doug and not allot to show for it, I
wasn't some high paid heavy equipment {tech} that truthfully was/is way over paid for what
they do, high dollar decisions were/are made by service dept.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That dumpster shop makes me think of something. Customers who buy scads of filters when they go on sale and then expect you to use them up later. Been sitting in a cold damp shed for all that time. Paper cartons falling apart, clean side full of dust and all the exposed steel turning to rust. Throw it all in a garbage bag and into the dumpster it goes. How much money did they save on that deal.

Old Doug

That dumpster shop makes me think of something. Customers who buy scads of filters when they go on sale and then expect you to use them up later. Been sitting in a cold damp shed for all that time. Paper cartons falling apart, clean side full of dust and all the exposed steel turning to rust. Throw it all in a garbage bag and into the dumpster it goes. How much money did they save on that deal.
I am really against stocking up on filters . One reason is what you said the other is how long are you going to have what ever they fit ? Early on when i was younger dad bought several cases of new filters at a auction years later later i tossed them . If i could have the money back from anything i was involved in that was a wast of money something that some one bought and never did any good it would be filters . I have clean up a lot of farms and business and there has been alot of new unused filters that have to be tossed.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I typically have a change set on the shelf for most everything. Never have purchased a case of filters for many of the reasons cited.

When I had the "Quik-Lube" franchises going the suppliers furnished the filters and the checks for consumption was written monthly. Accurate tracking was utilized for this. I never carried the inventory on my P/L statements.

Tyler d4c

We keep 1 extra set for everything. Filters for small kubota engines I keep a few on hand as I repair them for hire. Some how we end up with 8 engine oil filters for our backhoe. How I have no clue

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I still keep a fair number on hand because during COVID often could not get any at all. Maybe 2-6 filters depending on how fast a particular part number sells. But I am letting them dwindle down nowadays. Having just done inventory I know I am stuck with a few that hardly ever sell any more because customers and markets have changed. Still cannot bear to throw some away because I "might" use it one day. At least they are relatively small, easy to inventory and easy to see.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
As a matter of interest, FYI, no filter manufacturer or equipment manufacturer will offer a guarantee any longer than 12 mths on ANY filter.
The filter media degrades with age, hidden corrosion sets in, and the protective packaging provided by the filter manufacturer is flimsy, to say the least.
I even find plenty of new filters just thrown into their packaging boxes with no protection whatsoever - no plastic wrapping, no plastic lid on the open end.
The potential for filter contamination is extremely high in these cases - even "clean" warehouses are dusty, and transportation triples the contamination potential.

Truck Shop

As a matter of interest, FYI, no filter manufacturer or equipment manufacturer will offer a guarantee any longer than 12 mths on ANY filter.
The filter media degrades with age, hidden corrosion sets in, and the protective packaging provided by the filter manufacturer is flimsy, to say the least.
I even find plenty of new filters just thrown into their packaging boxes with no protection whatsoever - no plastic wrapping, no plastic lid on the open end.
The potential for filter contamination is extremely high in these cases - even "clean" warehouses are dusty, and transportation triples the contamination potential.
Don't know why everyone gets excited over old filters, how many mechanics/greasers/oil changers
never clean the area of cooler housing where filters screw on. Nope just slam it up there and a
little dirt falls in the filter mouth, no one will ever know.