• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sharing information with customers

TVA

Hi guys! I’m inthe business for my self not even a year, and I have this things with customers when they find out that the problem they had with machine is simple like blown O-ring or broken wire - I’m having problems getting payed!
It feels like that they have this preconceived notion that it’s gonna be expensive component and big job, and indeed turns out like that - customers more willing to pay then if it’s a small job and something simple. Then all of the sudden I’m not worthy of my pay.
I understand that I’m fresh and I will have to sift through all kinds of “ loose screws” until I will build my cache of good customers. But it came to the point that I don’t want to tell the customer what was wrong with his machine, because I don’t know what reaction will be!

I hope it’s gonna get better!
Have you had something similar in your experience?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
That's BS! If it was a simple matter, they should have God damned fixed it their own f***ing self. Your time is precious, the most precious commodity that there is. You can get another anything, there is no getting another hour back. There are a set number in a day and only so many in our lives. You're trading your time for money. Selling yourself in the most literal sense. People lose sight of that and need to be reminded from time to time. Maybe have a polite discussion on how you would rather have been fishing or with your significant other and you had to take time away to find and repair this loose wire. (That was so simple, yet eluded the owner)
Sorry to get cross, but time is something that should only be "given" to those you care about.

TVA

That's BS! If it was a simple matter, they should have God damned fixed it their own f***ing self. Your time is precious, the most precious commodity that there is. You can get another anything, there is no getting another hour back. There are a set number in a day and only so many in our lives. You're trading your time for money. Selling yourself in the most literal sense. People lose sight of that and need to be reminded from time to time. Maybe have a polite discussion on how you would rather have been fishing or with your significant other and you had to take time away to find and repair this loose wire. (That was so simple, yet eluded the owner)
Sorry to get cross, but time is something that should only be "given" to those you care about.

I totally agree with you! Especially when it takes a while to find that “simple problem”! But that’s my reality today! I guess it will get better with time!

TVA

The last one was a simple matter - the problem is you have to understand how logic element designed, their mechanic was in that thing ( I’ve seen his marks ) he probably pulled the spool out, didn’t see any damage and put it back without realizing that the spool riding inside the sleeve, and sleeve has two o-rings at each end. And you have to push the sleeve out to check those.

They called me probably because they thought that motor was shot, and wanted confirmation of that!
The local mechanic had kinda surprised and disappointed look on his face when he saw that I didn’t connect any gauges or flowmeters to machine, but went straight to relief.
The reason why I did this, because I noticed fresh chewy-chewy marks from his crescent wrench on the relief valve cap! I had to check what he did to it, so I wont be chasing my tale!

rondig

Occupation
excavation
We are the opposite...the mobile mechs that come out to us have a 3 hr min...they all know if they can fix in min..i give em 100 cash to the mech...everytime i call i always get a great mech....on time....and usually i am short 100 bucks....worth every penny...and if it is a nasty job....they still get tip....again i never have to call twice...

TVA

We are the opposite...the mobile mechs that come out to us have a 3 hr min...they all know if they can fix in min..i give em 100 cash to the mech...everytime i call i always get a great mech....on time....and usually i am short 100 bucks....worth every penny...and if it is a nasty job....they still get tip....again i never have to call twice...
I would ask you if I can be your mech. But you too far north!!!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
"IF I tell u how I fixed it.. I'd be out of a job".. laugh & walk away w/ cash in hand.
I've had those customers too.. & when they say, "Seriously".. I say, "Seriously:.. & look'm straight in the eye..
Does it REALLY MATTER what IT was?? its running NOW & u owe me 300.00 & BTW> tell your "mechanic" to keep the monkey wrenches away from the machine if u want it to stay running..
But YES, sometimes TO MUCH information is a bad thing..
I get that too.. "I just make it LOOK easy".. {THAT ONE works too, in most cases.}

thepumpguysc

Occupation
When I go out to a jobsite its usually because a pump has died or is on its way..
1st thing I ask after a 10 minute diagnostic session is>> do u NEED this NOW or can it wait a couple of DAYS.. cuz the pump is on its way out..
If they say they need it now & then can shut it down for a few days.. I reach into my majic bag of tricks & pull out a "smashed out" return connector & fit it to the pump.. start it & it stays running..
You wanna talk about questions.??!! Everybody & their brother wants to know HOW I did that..
Sorry fellas, Ancient Chinese Secret..
I get paid for a service call.. the time on the jobsite & off I go w/ cash in hand.. until they call me in a few days to come snatch the pump off..{paid again}

Vetech63

It would help me if I knew what your experience level is, and background. I have been doing this for 29 years SELF-EMPLOYED. I have ran into MANY deadbeats in those years and have learned a lot.
There are several rules I have with all this experience and they are as follows:
1. Have a minimum rate (mine is 4 hours).
2. New customers pay when your done...…..no exceptions.
3. Do not allow customers to devalue your experience...….experience pays as it should.
4. Make sure you are getting paid for travel time and mileage.
5. Whatever you allow for payment terms (30 days, 10th of the month, etc.....) STICK WITH IT.
6. Don't ignore red flags
7. Don't let customers talk you into cheap fixes. Fix it right because they WILL hold you liable regardless.
8. If you are NOT going to warranty a repair for whatever reason….make sure that is clearly STATED ON THEIR INVOICE!
9. Do NOT let a customer do your troubleshooting for you.
10. If you treat them right and do the repairs right, they will use you for life. Expect the same treatment in return.

OK, that was more than several, and I have about 30 more but you should get the jest of this. I'd be happy to include more if it wont bore anyone to death.:D

TVA

When I go out to a jobsite its usually because a pump has died or is on its way..
1st thing I ask after a 10 minute diagnostic session is>> do u NEED this NOW or can it wait a couple of DAYS.. cuz the pump is on its way out..
If they say they need it now & then can shut it down for a few days.. I reach into my majic bag of tricks & pull out a "smashed out" return connector & fit it to the pump.. start it & it stays running..
You wanna talk about questions.??!! Everybody & their brother wants to know HOW I did that..
Sorry fellas, Ancient Chinese Secret..
I get paid for a service call.. the time on the jobsite & off I go w/ cash in hand.. until they call me in a few days to come snatch the pump off..{paid again}
Your smashed out return connector reminded me about few instances when money was wasted on injector pump exchange and nobody cared to check overflow valve, which most of the time stays on return line or in the box with parts at the machine!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Hey VTech.. Honest question.. Do u count the "travel time & mileage" as part of your minimum??
OR do u start THAT time when u get to the jobsite & travel time & mileage are separate..??

TVA

It would help me if I knew what your experience level is, and background. I have been doing this for 29 years SELF-EMPLOYED. I have ran into MANY deadbeats in those years and have learned a lot.
There are several rules I have with all this experience and they are as follows:
3. Do not allow customers to devalue your experience...….experience pays as it should.
5. Whatever you allow for payment terms (30 days, 10th of the month, etc.....) STICK WITH IT.
7. Don't let customers talk you into cheap fixes. Fix it right because they WILL hold you liable regardless.
8. If you are NOT going to warranty a repair for whatever reason….make sure that is clearly STATED ON THEIR INVOICE!
10. If you treat them right and do the repairs right, they will use you for life. Expect the same treatment in return.

OK, that was more than several, and I have about 30 more but you should get the jest of this. I'd be happy to include more if it wont bore anyone to death.:D
Thank you very much!!! Very good points!!!
At this point I’m getting worried about those “you just fix this machine! I will pay you so much you would not believe!!!
Those mostly ending up not paying at all!
Had couple of those that couldn’t start the engine and didn’t pay me for rebuilding control valve because they didn’t confirm the fix for control valve. Or had one with bucket crusher on leased excavator, crusher sat for a while, excavator was returned, lease was over, I found the problem ( or at least one of them ) but now I have to wait for him to find the machine to test my work.
I always tell them “make sure the starts and stops” before I go out to machine - but it seldom happens that way! I show up and battery not even unit and out of charge!

And on attachments - this is my first suggestion as self employed: if it’s not on the machine and machine is in operating condition - don’t even waste your time! Turn around and go back! Been there! Know better now!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
I've walked off of at least 2 jobsites because of #7 & #9.. even after telling the customer to "walk away" please..
I started packing my tools & he said, Where ya going?? I said, YOU know so much about this, you don't need me.. & off I drove.. Lol

TVA

My experience level is “undetermined “!

I need to print this, laminate it and have it on my clipboard!

TVA

Sorry for mess up!

Experience undetermined because even I can’t figure that out!
I didn’t start this business normally!
I’ve been doing side jobs for dacedes while having “day job”.
This is a first year full time. I don’t have formal education in hydraulics, and never worked in this field as an employee!
I have natural ability in diagnosing the problems, started with cars, ended up being “jack of all trades, but master of few”!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
And like V Tech mention document everything. If you see a safety item that is in disrepair noted on the work order. I have found that you can save yourself more hassle headache and aggravation by simply having a pen with enough ink in it to cover your butt. Don't be afraid to pull out your phone and snap pictures as well to backup your statement. The customers responses typically oh yeah we'll get to that and it never happens when someone gets hurt they say it will this guy never told me about it And they try to put you in the liability bag.

Vetech63

Hey VTech.. Honest question.. Do u count the "travel time & mileage" as part of your minimum??
OR do u start THAT time when u get to the jobsite & travel time & mileage are separate..??
Either of those are not included in the minimum. I will skip the travel time for good respectable customers, but the mileage charge is always a constant. You HAVE to set standards and stick with them...…...You wouldn't believe how many deadbeats it weeds out. Most of my core customers I have worked for have had a working relationship with me for most of my years. They trust me and I have always treated them well, as they have me. I NEVER have trouble with them but it took many years to establish that trust.
The new customers calling is the ones that will stick you and some have gotten really good at it. Its going to happen to all of us, it STILL happens sometimes to me even now...……..but I have cut that down by 90% from what it was a few years ago. I have numerous examples of getting screwed by deadbeats...…….I could fill 5 pages with them from past experience.

Vetech63

And like V Tech mention document everything. If you see a safety item that is in disrepair noted on the work order. I have found that you can save yourself more hassle headache and aggravation by simply having a pen with enough ink in it to cover your butt. Don't be afraid to pull out your phone and snap pictures as well to backup your statement. The customers responses typically oh yeah we'll get to that and it never happens when someone gets hurt they say it will this guy never told me about it And they try to put you in the liability bag.
Great advise! I do this also, but was unmentioned.