• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Servicing Berco Rollers

Metalman 55

A couple of bottom rollers on my D6C 10K dozer have been weeping a bit lately as the machine has been sitting a lot just lately. Can anyone tell me if the Berco rollers can be serviced as far as checking levels/adding oil to them, as they don't have the same setup as cat with the thread in plug? I do have the Cat filler tool to for the cat rollers. thanks

Attachments

• 20210705_055906.jpg
    20210705_055906.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 83

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Most newer-design Cat rollers have a 2-piece plug comprising a rubber plug with a plastic stopper in the centre of it. Your Berco rollers look very similar to that design, so I would say with the correct tooling it should be possible to service them.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If you are thinking you are going to add oil to them all I can say is good luck. They are life time sealed units and when the seals leak, you have just discovered the meaning of lifetime.

Find a Berco dealer and see is they would be willing to make a warranty claim. If not, then figure on replacing them.

Metalman 55

Actually, on my old 941 track loader I ordered new Du-Cone seals, Toric Rings etc O-rings, all from cat & I didnt notice till it was apart that the rollers were Berco........rebuilt using Cat parts & they worked fine!

I may buy one new roller from Berco & then get a rebuild kit for the leaker, to have a spare once rebuilt, if there is a means to add the oil.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've never seen a rebuild kit, always had to order parts per piece. Keep in mind that rollers usually leak for more reasons than a damaged seal.

Metalman 55

Anyone have any information on what the fill stopper configuration is like on the bottom rollers, if in fact it is removable on the Berco? I bought the machine in Jan of 2013 & the Berco undercarriage was about new then, so it must be circa 2011 ish if that offers any clues to what is in there age-wise?

Bluox

As I recall Cat had a filler/tester machine that would pull a vacuum on the roller and if it would hold then it would release the oil and it would fill the roller about 80 % . I believe the stopper ,plug and filler tools are the same. You may be able to fill the roller by taking it off and end fill it.
Good luck
Bob

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Bob's right. With the fill machine the roller can be oiled in any position, and it also has the benefit of being able to pull a vacuum on the seals to ensure that they are not leaking.
But there is nothing to stop you from removing the roller and standing it on end then pouring oil into it. The downside is that unless the oil cavity is totally empty you have no idea how much oil to add. There has to be an air space left above the oil for expansion. Push the stopper in and drive the plug home and you're done.

The plug is not removable on a Cat roller without destroying it so I doubt if the Berco arrangement is any different because it looks like a direct copy. The centre plastic plug is drilled out then the large rubber stopper can be hooked out. A new 6Y-0473 plug & 9G-4872 stopper is probably less than $10 the pair if you buy aftermarket.

As John C said above it is possible these rollers are leaking because of wear in the bushings or the seals, in which case refilling them with oil is not a long-term fix.

upload_2021-7-5_22-12-44.png upload_2021-7-5_22-27-18.png

Sanya_Promstal

Occupation
Industrialist
If you need to work better buy new rollers and try to repair the old ones. It is necessary to watch the backlash of the axis. Bimetallic or bronze bushing may need to be replaced

Metalman 55

Unless something has happened that I'm not aware of......the aftermarket rollers have been dirt cheap. Rebuilding those seems to be a waste of time to me.

Yes, others have mentioned that as well. However my OP was just inquiring about topping up weeping rollers from lack of use recently on the unit, not rebuilding them.

Metalman 55

I just got pricing back on the Berco DF & SF bottom rollers from our supplier; see below:

1 x cr1792 d/f Berco roller 510.00 ea

1 x cr1793 s/f Berco 475.00 ea

CDN funds.

Metalman 55

Update..........the same supplier just emailed me a price on Korean rollers, same warranty for just over 1/2 the Berco price.........I think I know what direction I am leaning, given the machine only works about 150 hrs annually.

Welder Dave

Those prices (Berco) seem high to me. Have read where several people say Berco isn't as good as it once was. I'd call Trek (or other aftermarket) and get prices for comparison.

See you got a price for Korean undercarriage that may be Trek/DCF. Trek has a location in Mississauga.

TREK Quality Parts (trekdirect.com)

Metalman 55

Those prices (Berco) seem high to me. Have read where several people say Berco isn't as good as it once was. I'd call Trek (or other aftermarket) and get prices for comparison.

See you got a price for Korean undercarriage that may be Trek/DCF. Trek has a location in Mississauga.

TREK Quality Parts (trekdirect.com)

Welder Dave, not sure where you're from, but I got my pricing from Equipment Sales, Etobicoke Ont..

For that price I'll go with Korean............

Welder Dave

I'm in Edmonton. Trek/DCF is Korean and if you contact them, they could provide other dealers that sell their undercarriage. I priced Trek from 3 different dealers near me and the differences can be quite a bit. The JD dealer sold Trek as their aftermarket brand but were higher priced than the other dealers that sold it. Equipment Sales and Service here sold Berco but it was a lot more money $$$$. Another place that sold Berco was also very high, more than Cat! They dropped Berco several years ago because the pricing was way too high and now sell their own branded undercarriage which could be made my Trek or another Korean firm. What was interesting was some items were cheaper at one dealer but the other items were more. I went with the cheapest overall price and saved a bit more because I picked it up myself at the Trek warehouse here.

Vetech63

Berco has been dropped from a lot of undercarriage suppliers for the last few years. They have almost priced themselves out of the market.