• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Service Van/truck, What you got in them?

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Just Wondering, or being nosy maybe! what you guys carry in your van or truck?
I was going through my van lately, cleaning up and restocking etc, and thinking what else i could or sould carry in it!
Apart form the nesessities (tools and equipment etc) and a few filters, (fuel and engine oil) for the most comon, o-rings, electric connectors and cable, nuts bolts washers, fuses, bulbs, consumables, a few 5 gal cans of oil (eng, hyd, atf) oil spill kit, fuel hose, a few small hydraulic hoses, wiper blades etc, And a few comon parts!

Now i dont have one of those big mechanics trucks you guys use in the states, i use a 3.5 ton transit van (the norm over here) plenty of space for all i need including the line-boring gear (when needed)

Im not looking for enough parts and consumables for a complete rebuild, but i just keep thinking i could be carring more!

Thanks in advance for your replys
CPS

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Since the mid 80's, I've carried a 1 gal (3.78L) plastic fuel can in my mech trucks that has never had anything in it but clean water. I use it for hand cleaning after finishing project and, more importantly, in the event I get some undesireable liquid, chemical, or petrol product on the face and need a quick facial rinse. ;)

Oh yeah, the spare paper roll as well Squizzy!

td25c

Thats a good question cps.Wow ,I dont Know where to start.I agree with Squizzy & ATCO about toilet paper & water.My grandfather taught me at an early age to carry a gallon jug of water in every vehical.He always said "it's good for man and machine".As far as the truck,it depends on the type of job we are headed to & whitch truck we take.I'l start out with a picture of what I carry on myself regardles of what type of job I am headed to_One hat,leatherman tool,small flashlight,shop rag,cell phone,& skoal tobacco.And that just gets the day started.

Attachments

• ruck 001.jpg
    ruck 001.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 599
Last edited:

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Wiper Blades?:lmao

Just kidding. I try to keep only what I need in the field to get a truck running or an excavator back to work.

For the trucks I carry a complete brake can and a piggyback and rubbers. Various plastic hoses, air lines, fittings- lots of fittings, Radiator hose, turbo hose ,clamps and a can of starting fluid that I've only had to use once.

For the excavators most of the work is grapple related. I have plenty of spare control handle switches/ wiring. I have a spare revolve motor/relief valve and a swivel (rotary union). Scrap steel for repairs. I keep replacement cylinders at the shop.

I normally travel within a 60 mile radius. This last year I usually have been at the shop when something happens. I've been able to grab more of what I need before heading out.

Trust me, Busier is better

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Nice presentation 25c...I like it! :)

RobVG, one can of starting fluid?
I carry a case of it. Not for starting engines, though. I use it for cleaning hyd components before re-assembly. It's a darn good oil cleaner, evaporates quickly, and is generally a little cheaper than brake cleaner.

And I also have a 5 gal bucket with a removable lid, kept about 1 1/2 to 2 gal of parts washing solvent in it with a brush to clean dirty components that I'm working on.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
The Handcleaner, rag, spare tubes of grease, the dog (security guard) :cool:, a 12" shifting spanner on the floor in the front of the truck and usually a mouldy banana skin:pointhead. Insulation tape, spare fuses, axe, shovel & broom...and way too much other crap:confused:

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
...one can of starting fluid? I carry a case of it...

You like the smell- don't you...:yup

I carry a case of CRC brake cleaner for hyd. And if you ever had to clean the bowels of something to weld it, you know why I get the non-flammable kind.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I carry a case of CRC brake cleaner for hyd. And if you ever had to clean the bowels of something to weld it, you know why I get the non-flammable kind.

Well there ya go...every tool has it's place. :)

The smell? LoL, the only smell that bothered me was a former place I worked at, had a (homely looking) lady kept stopping by tryin' to get us to buy fasteners from her wearing some kind of skunk oil parfuumme. I'll take the smell of grease and diesel any day. :D

TommyDa

Service van / truck

There are nice equipments available to make service truck as a moving workshop. There is allways need for electricity on the site, easily attach hydraulic generator to your vehicle. Sometimes you may need welder, then you would appreciate to have hydraulic welder in back of your truck.

Remember that you can allways use hydraulic equipments directly from your trucks/vans/mobile machines hydraulic system. Visit www.dynaset.com to learn more about these tools.

cummins05

with my company i had two 5 ton 4 wheel drive service trucks complete with picker (crane) welder and we tried to keep it as well stocked as our shop fittings belts even those little fuses. i also had an ford 1 ton ambulance that was great in the winter since it had a great heating unit in the back that we converted to a mobile work shop (drill press metal saw small lathe generator etc

danhoe

Got a set of torches, a battery charger, Miller 250 welder, a come along, cables, chains, my dig. transit, laser for grades, a couple different kinds of grade poles, a gas monitor, line locater, sockets up to 2 1/2", open end wrenchs to 2 3/4", pipe wrenchs up to 48", oils, cleaners, gojo, extra set of clothes, some ferncos, k copper unions, copper line pinchers for broken water services. My K3500 weighs 13,000 lbs with my tools. I probably forgot a few thigs on the truck. digger

GOINGBROKE

Occupation
Diesel shop owner - truck, farm and heavy equipmen
Usually everything but what I need

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Pics on there way Atco, needs good clean up first!:drinkup

danhoe

I forgot the water jug, a fuel tank to fill up the equipment and a big vice, I can put a piece of 10" pipe in it. I have alot of people asking if it is for sale. digger

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
6 metre jumper leads made from 600 amp welding cable....and the most important of all....a spare roll of toilet paper:rolleyes:
Yep got these Squizzy, thanks:drinkup
Wiper Blades?:lmao
Yep, afew wiper blades can keep a driver, and the owner/foreman which means they remember me!:D

Nice presentation 25c...I like it! :)
Yea and i bet when you get home you have a few more things in there, nuts bolts and all sorts :D

Oh yea and i also have one of these 12 volt hand washs atco
tealwash_tw_s.jpg
very handy if you remember to fill it up:mad:

I also have a small home made swing crane, handy for loading up the line-boring gear and the welder etc! also handy of lots of other things!

Ill post a few pics soon, and everyone few feel free to post yours, so i can steal your ideas:drinkup

Thanks again CPS

heavylift

I seen massive amount of tools in service trucks. anywhere from the mechanic who could find whatever blindfolded. To the mechanic, that would take 30 minute looking for a fuse to get a hoe running. this one "parts changer" if you will. had a boxfull of loose allen wrenches, 200 at least. he would spend 10 minute digging thru them... we are talking 1/2" and under..