1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

service trailer

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by shadow2, Sep 27, 2013.

1. shadow2

shadow2 Well-Known Member

i already own the f150. we have a 350 dump truck with a **** bed on it. 6.0 only rated to tow 9000lbs would that be better at towing the trailer even though it is rated 3000lbs less then the f150

it is a broken 6.0 so i would have to repair the engine what goes it to that and is it worth it.

i would not get a goose neck because the 550 and kw are pintail hooks

going on the idea the you need weight to move a tag trailer the how dose the kw that weigh 20000lbs move a 50000lbs trailer this truck tow over double its weight so why cat the f150 that weight 6000lbs tow less the double it weight a 11000lbs.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  2. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Well, one factor is, if you are doing it right, the KW isn't towing 50,000, it's carrying a good part of it; just like the f150 should be carrying part of it's trailer.

Are you sure the f350 is only rated to tow 9000lbs? It should be rated to tow a good bit more than that.

3. Dualie

Dualie Senior Member

the KW loads the tandems evenly. doing it will not unload the steer axle. A 5th wheel trailer or goose neck will load drive axle and the steer axle, not teeter totter weight off of the steers and onto the drives.

Also the kenworth and trailer probably already weigh 40K as a combo. theres a reason it can do it with just as much HP as your f-150 too. I find it hard to believe your F-350 only has a 9K tow rating? also the rating on your F-150 will no doubt be with weight distribution hitch, which is a royal PAIN IN THE AZZ to deal with on an every day basis.

4. shadow2

I put our 10000lbs 35 foot tag trailer be hide the truck no problem stoping or going no boucing of the rear end haddle the trailer fine

5. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

I've pulled a 4500 lb lawn service trailer with an F150 and it was a pain to stop. There is a reason you don't see many excavation contractors use 1/2 ton trucks for heavy work. Your gonna eat brakes and you'll most likely have a great view of the sky cause your rear end will be dragging.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

6. shadow2

I had an 08 f 150 that I would not tow with it
    2200 lbs payload 8200 lbs gvw
    both my f 150 and a 250 have 14.25in rotors

The 13 that I bought is built like a 3/4 ton
    Class 5 hitch
    Upgraded breaks
    Intergreted break controller
    Transmission cooler
    Bigger radiator
    Oil cooler
    Upgraded steering and cooler

All from the factory it is better equipped to tow then some 3/4 to on the only difference in the badge on the side

I know about doing it right the truck i bought is built to tow if the trailer is to heavy i will tow it with the kw i wanted a smaller more full efficient truck that could work.

My friend who bought a new 350 has only gotten 4 miles to the gallon with no weight in the bed or towing.

My truck with 600lbs in the bed is getting 18 miles to the gallon for the times i tow the truck can do it.

30000$ difference in purchase price along with horrendous fuel millage is why I have this truck. I own a kw that get the same mileage as the 350 I need a truck that can drive every where and tow the trailer

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  7. ScottAR

ScottAR Senior Member

It should be noted that not all F150s are created equal. Lets roll the clocks back a few years...

in 96 the new "round nose" body style came out but ford wasn't ready with the super duty platform so the heavier pickups soldiered on in the more square 95 down body with a "heavy duty" badge on the fender. Ford made a "light duty" F250 new body with bigger springs, brakes, and seven stud wheels. Some time after the launch of the super duty chassis in '98, they dropped the light duty 250 and renamed it the 7700 package as that was its gvwr. I believe this package is still available and I also think this is the kind of truck discussed so it's not exactly a grocery getter.

I would still rather have a bigger truck but they can carry more payload than a regular f150.

P.S. the seven stud wheels is how ya spot em in the wild. They sit a little higher also.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  8. shadow2

I am making steel shelf in the trailer I know for the heavy tool I have to use 10 gauge steel. For the lighter cordless tool can u get away with 22 gauge steel to keep the weight down. The maximum span of the self will be 13 in wide 20 in deep. The will be a boxed from of 1x2 as the support structure

9. shadow2

i was think that i might have to do two trail

one that is set up with the welder and tools

anther that is set up as a fuel and lube trail.

i have the tool trailer layout down but have no idea were to start on the lube trailer. i was looking at 50 weight oil, hydraulic oil, 15w 40. 5w20, anti freeze in 60 gallon tanks. 500 gallons of diesel. and 200 gallons of wast oil. air power grease gun

how would the pumps and hoses be set up fill rite dose not make pumps for oil.

10. shadow2

we just had a fire at one house. not our fault chimney had a hole in it.

it showed me that i have to rethink my idea on the tool trailer or service truck.

the most important that i need a the fire scene was light, power, air, ladders, and wood

the f150 with the trailer would hold everything but the wood and ladders

so should i build up and old 350 dually 6.0 towing capacity 12000lbs with a flat bed and lumber rack and the tool trailer or should i get a 550 service truck to hold every thing

the thing with the new truck is i can't do the scene lights on it do to warranty issues