• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Series 60 ddec2 wiring diagram

workshoprat92

Anyone know where i can get a wiring diagram for a series 60 ddec2? I need to run one on an engine stand and need to make a wiring harness to make it run. I have the harness from the vehicle it came out of that was disconected at the firewall and i also have the throttle position sensor. Should have everything i need.

Truck Shop

Actually the dealer is the best bet for Series 60 diagrams. Get it for the year and model the harness came out of. It's going to be fairly basic.

Truck Shop

workshoprat92

Are you talking the truck dealer or the detroit dealer? Most dealers dont want to share manuals without a small phenomenal fee! I have the series 60 manual on cd. Bought it off ebay fairly reasonable. Cant find a ddec2 manual though. They have 3 and up but no 2

crane operator

Are the DDEC 2 the one where the ecm is mounted separate under the cab, instead of on the engine itself? I think I have a set of DDEC manual's, but I don't know how far back in the series it goes, I'll check in the morning at the shop.

lg junior

getPart

workshoprat92

I cannot down load it to where i can read it. Is there another way i can get a cleaner file? All i need is enough info to wire it up and test run it on an engine stand so it may be what i need even if its basic!

workshoprat92

Try this.
Thanks so much this schematic has been of great help when i have slowly been trying to wire this engine. With the bad weather now here I have been getting some shop time to work through all this. I have my battery box and controll console made and am working my way through wiring. One thing missing on the schematic is jake brake wiring. It only shows the ecm wire 508 and how it actuates the jake brake relay. I see the ddec 2 system used a ecm for jake brake control of high med and low. I also saw somewhere that they also used a relay set up and I could not find a schematic for that anywhere. I gave it a good think and after being up most the night I drew out a schematic I think would work. It took me a while to figure out how to get a one two three selecton with three jake solenoids and only two wires. I finally got a scrap of info on how the 3 solenoid setup was wired with 2 wires and I figured out the test from there! I have run through these circuits over and over and I think I have it! Can any of you guys look at my diagram and give me thier thoughts ? Sorry for the crudity of the drawing as art never was my strong point!

Attachments

• jake brake relay wiring.JPG
    jake brake relay wiring.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 25

lg junior

Your diagram looks correct as I remember. One relay activates one solenoid, one activates two, and both relays activates all three solenoids. Detroits schematics for Jake brakes all end at the firewall. Each truck manufacturer uses its own system.
Good luck finding any help from Kenworth on their Jake brake wiring. I have two DDEC 2 powered Kenworths, one had a problem that had me stumped till I found the diodes in the wiring harness. The parts people had no clue and their answer was that it wasn't Kenworths problem, because they had no part numbers for any wiring, diodes or anything that had to do with a Series Sixty.

workshoprat92

Your diagram looks correct as I remember. One relay activates one solenoid, one activates two, and both relays activates all three solenoids. Detroits schematics for Jake brakes all end at the firewall. Each truck manufacturer uses its own system.
Good luck finding any help from Kenworth on their Jake brake wiring. I have two DDEC 2 powered Kenworths, one had a problem that had me stumped till I found the diodes in the wiring harness. The parts people had no clue and their answer was that it wasn't Kenworths problem, because they had no part numbers for any wiring, diodes or anything that had to do with a Series Sixty.
I really would like to see a factory diagram. I dont know how diodes would factor into it. The way i have mine set up you shouldnt need diodes. I had a relay pack with 3 relays out of a frieghtliner that i salvaged. I sat down and built this circuit today. Have it all ready to go just need to power it up and test it out. I figured id use light bulbs simulating the jake coils to prove it all out.
As far as figuring out which wire in the harness has to valve coils and which one has one i figure the wire with only one coil should have a higer resistance two coils in parallel should have lower resistance. Or i could break down and pull the valve cover lol!

lg junior

Try it out with lights first that will definitely tell you if diodes are needed to stop any backfeed.
Looking at one schematic it doesn't show numbers for the Jake wires in the head. It gives a red wire as activating two solenoids and a blue wire for the remaining center cylinder. I hope that helps.