• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Series 50 rebuild cost

cfherrman

New joint that I'm working at just got one of these rebuilt for $47k and the owner is a little upset, the mechanic did a really good job from the outside and I told him it probably would have been 50-60k at Detroit.

New turbo, injectors, fuel pump, lots of work done. Reran the air compressor which I would have changed.

I'm curious what you guys think?

Welder Dave

It's a series 50 and not a series 60? From what I found it's a 4 cylinder engine. I was told it's generally about $2000/cylinder to rebuild just a basic engine. Turbo, injection pump and other accessories are extra. If the block needs extensive work like line boring could see it being more expensive but $47K seems really excessive for a 4 cylinder engine. What's a new engine worth?

cfherrman

Yes with install and removal and I'm guessing 2 oil change samples.

They stopped making the 50 is something like 2005, it's used because of weight as it weighs the same as a 671.

It was something like 20k in parts without the turbo/injectors.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I've only had one of them opened up. More or less a Series 60 but with 2 less cylinders and balance shafts. Can't see why parts would be so much. I've heard of people having a Series 60 done for less that.

Truck Shop

Ok-------A Series 60 DDEC 3 500 hp 1575 torque 12.7 liter---OEM is $37,500. The core return can
run $11,500 if not acceptable. That's a Complete engine, all external components as well as all
internal components.
The last Series 60 I did was a 14 liter. New head, piston/liners/con rods, oil pump, turbo, water
pump, injector harness, complete gasket set, air compressor, fan hub, all bearings, head bolts, Included
removing front structure and checking bull gear and gear train, plus new oil cooler. IIRC total
parts all oem was $14,500. that was 5 years ago. Now I would expect same parts cost at $16,500.
I rebuild a Big Cam III 855 for $16 to $17,000 Complete ready to drop in. I charge 100 hrs @ $50
an hour which I'm still making decent money just farting around in spare time. That includes
block & head machine work. Inflation---has gotten ridiculous with people charging exorbitant labor
and parts prices trying to get rich off each job. The one I just sold--the young guy called me
told me he had it installed, was extremely happy that he turned the key and within 3 revolutions
it was setting there just idling smoothly, No leaks great oil pressure runs dead on at 185*. Hauled
a load of hay at 80,000 lbs and pulled well. I would rather have a happy customer with what he
paid and performance considering to send me one out of another truck he has for a rebuild.
A good business runs on volume because of reasonable prices and good work, not cashing in
on high level sales.
There are good aftermarket parts and prices available but it takes some sourcing to find them.
Series 60 14L.
005 (2).JPG002 (2).JPG

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Clown world. The game has changed and it’s expensive. One of my regular customers had a catastrophic failure on a DD15 in a 2015 M2 Freight shaker. The swing engine was $63k and install was $15k at the local dealer. Finally back on the road as of last week. Holy cow.

Did he have to take it to the dealer? IDK? Nobody else wanted to do it. A lot of independent shops are steering away from those sort of work orders. Who wants to carry invoices like that in 2024? What if the customer don’t pay or files bankruptcy like every other trucking company is? Who wants to get stuck with a ragged out M2 on a mechanics lean?

Truck Shop

Who wants to carry invoices like that in 2024? What if the customer don’t pay or files bankruptcy like every other trucking company is? Who wants to get stuck with a ragged out M2 on a mechanics lean?
That's allot of it. But ever since 2020 the corporations charge it because who's going to
stop them--It's a because they can situation. The industry created it.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
The independent guys have been slaughtered, but the big boys are getting slaughtered, too. Interesting times in the trucking biz. Who’s going to haul the Doritos?

Truck Shop

The independent guys have been slaughtered, but the big boys are getting slaughtered, too. Interesting times in the trucking biz. Who’s going to haul the Doritos?
It's a go bust situation. The worst business to be in right now is anything to do with trucking.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That seems high but not necessarily ridiculously high. I just did an out of frame on a C12 that dropped two valves and ate two lobes off the cam. I did have several days in fixing previous neglect and shade tree work not related to the actual engine build and I had $20k in labor. I didn’t buy the parts so I’m not sure what he paid for them. If it had been a better maintained truck labor would have been around $15k.

Truck Shop

2018 dealer {Freightliner} inframe on Series 60 with head, cylinder packs, cutting block
for repair sleaves, exhaust manifold plus the usual incidentals--$18,000 average price.
So in as little as 6 years it went to stick it in and break it off. Cascadia radiator replacement,
radiator cost $1,050-dealer time 7 hours at what $150/$160--I'm an old fart I can still rip
one and stuff in three hours and that's two coffee breaks. Who is crapping who.
Sorry boys but the whole damn industry is responsible-right down to the a$$hole running
the road service charging $175 for a 30-30 can a 100 dollar call out, milage, and 500 to
put it on. Everyone is involved from top to bottom----Just wait till another 2008 rolls around
and it's coming and when it does all the scalpers will be walking around with their own scalp
in hand begging for a flat tire on a wheel barrow to fix.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Its the wild west again down here, but the lack of an experienced labor force is helping to steer the cart off the road
Converting the field rates in my area to US dollars we're about $40 an hour less than some of the shop rates (yes shop rates) I hear quoted in the US.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
The major truck dealerships and equipment dealers are all over $200 an hour. Ag dealers are less. Independents are all over the map. Some have a small toolbox in the trunk of their car lol. I’m around half of the major dealers. I have a yard, shop, service truck and specialty tooling. Have considered raising my rates. It’s an expensive business if you’re trying to serve your customer. Add to the above my parts room that’s probably got $35k worth of stuff in it. I do make a profit on the hardware, hoses etc but that comes back in little bites. Add in all the insurance coverage, taxes etc you’ll find it’s not as profitable as it sounds.

What’s driving all those costs? We could debate that for days. It is what it is. I calculate my overhead, what I’d like to profit and go from there. Some days you eat the bear and some he eats you. They’ll pay whatever it costs to have it done once and done right.