• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Semi-Old or Semi New?

braeburn

Is an older CAT/Komatsu/Hitachi/Deere/Volvo excavator, from say 1999-2003 with less than 5500 hours on it a better deal in terms of reliability and longevity than say any of the above with over 10,000 hours and vintage 2006-2010?

Thoughts on this? We've got a fairly strong year here in 2016 already on our plate. Quite a few machine decisions needed this from a 20-25T excavator, a 15-16T and maybe a dozer as well and a CTL takeuchi replacement.

JoshA

Occupation
Excavation contractor
Part of my opinion would be based on your intended tasks, and your own mechanical skills. I've got a 1994 with 11k hours and a 2011 with 3k hours. I realize that's opposite of what you're suggesting, but my point is either one of them could give me a catastrophically sized bill tomorrow.

With the technology differences between the 99-03, and the 06-10 models, the newer ones will offer so much more in terms of precision, whether with fine grading or slinging pipe/boxes around people. If it's simply going to be a production-driven machine, digging or bulking or ripping or smashing, I think I'd rather have the older one with less hours. If it's a niche or precision machine I'd go for the newer yet higher hour machine. Costs per hour may be higher but you may also be charging/making more per hour for that type of work, and likely have a more "valued" operator in it.

My opinion,
-Josh

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I have a 2005 Volvo 210 with 5,000 hrs on it and have no intension of getting something different. One thing to consider with newer equipment is the exhaust emissions crap. I have some newer trucks and tractors and I swear half the time you are having problems with the Exhaust stuff and computer problems. Plus DEF fluid sucks in a cold environment.

If you found a nice 2000-2006 or so machine I would take that. I am not in a high production operation. About 400 or so hrs on just the excavator per year.

That being said I would also not want to go for to old of a machine either like JoshA stated. but there is a middle ground.