• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sellers to avoid

Ohioguy

Not sure if this is allowable, but I wish I had known about this vendor before I bought from them.

Bad experience with Quality Used Equipment in Shirleysburg PA.

They lack integrity and zero custom satisfaction.

My recommendation would be to avoid them for used equipment. Learn from my mistakes.

Welder Dave

Would help to explain specifically what your bad experience was. A blanket statement to avoid them doesn't hold much water. Have seen people in the past bad mouth a dealer or vendor that wasn't justified.

Ohioguy

Yep, I agree, can't just throw out this stuff without experiences to go with it.

So here's the drama.
I just bought a 257B from them. I was sweating it, had a wire transfer completed to them and just wasn't sure what would happen. But that part went well, no issues, they shipped the unit right away.
I unloaded the unit, drove it to the barn. Went to start this morning and noticed smoke from the fuse box under the seat. One side of the box was hot to the touch. Nothing visible until I pulled the fuses out to check them. Burnt connections on every one. Several items on the skid didn't work when it arrived, I think I know why. Someone had attempted to change 6 fuses on it (brand new fuses vs the old ones you couldn't even see from the dirt on them), they just shoved them in the holes even though the inside connectors had melted away or broke off from heat. So someone knew this unit had an electrical issue. I also found out the harness to the box is burnt and that will be an expensive fix.
Cost of the new fuse boxes came in at $300. I asked Seth if they would help by covering the parts, I'd fix the skid myself. I have 2 minutes run time on tis 257B to the barn, but the price paid doesn't reflect a machine needing major work to it. I was nice in my request, I even acknowledged they had no obligation to do so. And they didn't. He basically got snippy with me in email, arguing about irrelevant stuff.
Yep, I bought it as-is, I get it. But, I think 2 min runtime is a little low to run into a major issue like that and knowing someone already shoved new fuses into a corroded and burnt fuse box really torques me off. Have some integrity. I wouldn't trust a thing they say about the condition of a unit.
Bottom line is, I would never buy another item from them. I learned a lesson, I hope you don't repeat and purchase from another vendor. Seth can come back with all kinds of nonsense and attacks like he always does with bad reviews, I am simply stating facts so make your own judgments and avoid buyers remorse. Had I bought a 19K skid for 14K, I wouldn't have an issue but this was a 14K skid for 19K. My mistake.

Update 2 days later: I got the machine running, luckily I found a fuse box harness on another skid at a not-so-local salvage yard. I pulled the fuse boxes, both of them had been pressure washed outside, but the insides were caked in mud, not dust, but mud. Explains the reason 6 of the fuses had started to burn up internally. Someone had shoved new (those really cheap Harbor Freight fuses) in the old sockets, but never addressed the issue.
I started to wonder why the mud, had an immediate suspicion. I started tearing off panels that you might not normally take off in an inspection. I also broke out my el-cheapo videoscope to look inside of channels you cannot see with the naked eye. Yep, suspicion confirmed. This skid steer is a flood unit. There is mud, twigs, rocks, all kinds of river crap in every nook and cranny that couldn't be easily cleaned with a pressure washer. So this is probably a 10K unit, someone would be willing to take a gamble on not a "quality" skid steer.
I can't say the QUE bought this, cleaned it up, and sold this thing without disclosure because I have no proof. All I can do is tell you this was advertised as a good quality ready to work unit and it is not. You can make your own assumptions on just how this unit went from being underwater to all prettied up and cleaned up and ready to be sold. It's flood unit that will cause me nothing but electrical headaches for the rest of the time I own it. This is absolutely disgraceful.
Found out another thing today. The bucket they had attached has been jerry rigged, crappy welding, and the QD alignment pins don't engage the bucket at all because someone welded the alignment holes in the wrong area. So the bucket barely holds on. If I really dig hard, the bucket falls off. I'll have to cut the welds and redo this as well. Never ever buy from QUE, you'll probably regret it. End of my lesson.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
First of all welcome to the Forums Ohioguy!

Sorry for your lemon purchase, it seems the used HE market has it's fair share of unscrupulous vendors. Not kicking a man why he's down but did you buy the machine sight unseen or inspect it in person?

Last edited:

Welder Dave

That's not good. You might contact the local consumer and corporate affairs office to see if you have some recourse. I wonder if Cat would have any history on the machine? If you could prove the machine had been flooded prior you may be able to go back on the dealer. Also curious if you ran and inspected the machine before purchasing?

Ohioguy

Oh I was really stupid and bought it from pictures and lots of videos. I take my lesson, this was my first skid purchase. That being said, this thing was "cleaned" up and only a few of these items would have been found during a regular purchase inspection (as in the horn didn't work because of the fuses). The fuse box had been pressure washed, it didn't look corroded until I pulled the fuses out and then took it off the skid. I had let it sit for a few minutes with the key on before smelling smoke, had I just jumped in and drove it, it most likely would have caught fire before I noticed it.
Unless I got lucky, I just wouldn't have found the QD bucket misalignment, you can't see it unless you remove the bucket and really look at the lower locking area. It's not easily visible even with the bucket all the way up. I looked and looked today.
I spent a good hour or two taking out panels and removing plates so I could see the inner channels and spaces not easily visible using that cheap inspection camera. Didn't see any flood evidence until I did that. A reputable dealer wouldn't touch a flood unit because they have a reputation to uphold., I don't think QUE is a reputable dealer. So I'll fix what's wrong and use it, I don't have any other choice. But I hope my experience can help influence others on where they choose to buy.

Welder Dave

I think if you would have ran it and looked it over, some or all of the issues would have shown up pretty quick. You'd instantly know something was wrong if you saw smoke or the bucket fell off. Don't feel too bad. I think most people have bought machines that in hind sight wish they hadn't. If you got the electrical sorted out maybe a little welding and it can still be a good unit. I'd check chain cases for water and debris.

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
I'm sorry, but purchasing an "AS-IS' machine sight unseen is flat out ridiculous. How can you buy something "AS-IS" without determining for yourself what condition AS-IS-IS?

seville009

All I can do is tell you this was advertised as a good quality ready to work unit

I think that is the key factor - if you still have their advertisement that states this, my suggestion would be to take this to an attorney

you might also want to pay for a third party mechanic to provide a professional assessment to confirm your findings

crane operator

I bought it as-is,

This is the only statement that matters. If you want new and warranty, buy new with warranty. Or rent something. Then you can call the dealer with every little problem it has for the next 2 years.

He bought it as is, ALL the repairs are on him.

The "this doesn't work, this has got mud in it" etc. etc. doesn't make any difference at all.

You buy AS IS you get AS IS.

seville009

This is the only statement that matters. If you want new and warranty, buy new with warranty. Or rent something. Then you can call the dealer with every little problem it has for the next 2 years.

He bought it as is, ALL the repairs are on him.

The "this doesn't work, this has got mud in it" etc. etc. doesn't make any difference at all.

You buy AS IS you get AS IS.

except.....if there was known fraud in the seller’s statements in the sales materials

partsandservice

ANY machine that is "ready to work" is only someones assumption. As a new skid steer owner of a machine that has past it's half life,more issues will be forth coming. With the machinery that I own I just buy one that i need and keep it going. It always seems to work out financially for me, but most of my machines are not run very often and not under heavy production when they are.

Tyler d4c

Que and or valley track just like rest of the minnenite aka moneynites. You get a junk pile i live about 30 minutes from there I try not to knock and ones business but there know for junk.