• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

self contained hydraulics

gwhammy

Would this be feasible for a machine that would be almost impossible to rig up hydraulics to the scraper on. Electric over hydraulic controls to control it.

Welder Dave

I think with an electric pump would be painfully slow and burn out the electrics in short order. You could probably rig up a system using a separate engine for a hydraulic power pack. What machine and what scraper are you considering?

terex herder

Do you mean live hydraulics to the scraper with electric control valves on the scraper? If so, no problem.

Or do you mean an electric drive hydraulic pump on the scraper? I'm with Welder Dave on this one. It takes 60 amps of 12V to get 1 hp worth of work, where 1gpm of hydraulics at 1700psi is 1 hp.

If you are looking for off-the-wall solutions for truly self-contained, how about a ground drive hydraulic pump and a large accumulator?

Delmer

no problem, I have a self contained "land plane" from the days of dozers with cable blades. Small kohler engine with a gear pump and one automatic valve. But you could easily do anything you want on a scraper, only limited by the horsepower of the engine limiting how fast it will lift.

Shimmy1

Do you mean live hydraulics to the scraper with electric control valves on the scraper? If so, no problem.

Or do you mean an electric drive hydraulic pump on the scraper? I'm with Welder Dave on this one. It takes 60 amps of 12V to get 1 hp worth of work, where 1gpm of hydraulics at 1700psi is 1 hp.

If you are looking for off-the-wall solutions for truly self-contained, how about a ground drive hydraulic pump and a large accumulator?
I would guess he wants to have a "power pack" or "pony engine" on the scraper, and electric over hydraulic controls. I think it could be done, but it will not be cheap. Bang-bang valves would be the simplest, but control would not be very precise. Proportional valves would give the best control, but how to rig it up is beyond my pay grade. I use a proportional valve to run auto-grade on my scraper, but it requires software and a machine control (DAC) box to operate.

gwhammy

Just a thought, guy I run with uses fiat dozers and I use a 973 loader most of the time. There are places we could use a scraper but hours of use wise we can't feasible justify a dedicated machine and pan . I was just thinking of something that would hook to either machine.

Delmer

If you don't need it fast, then a 5HP Honda will lift anything. And if it's that slow, bang bang valves won't bang much at all, and they'll be more precise than you can stand.