• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Seeking input on skidsteer purchase.....

IMCA38

Occupation
Insurance claims
Hello all
Occasional lurker and infrequent poster here.
We reside on an acreage of close to 5 acres. Major features are a 500’ long rock driveway, a good sized pond and a metric ( ) ton of trees. Presently, I have a smallish Massey Ferguson tractor with loader. While it is handy, the machine is light and the loader only has a lift capacity of 400-500lbs and only 6 1/2’ high or so. A few of the trees are getting some age and are in need of removal or serious trimming.
This being said, I’d like to get a skidsteer to handle some of this work. Ultimately I want some sort of a grapple bucket to use for picking up brush, limbs, and trunk pieces without having to exit the machine to manually roll or lift into the bucket. Also, I’d like to have a greater lifting capacity as I will be dealing with larger limbs.
I feel like I need something in the 30-45 HP range with around 35HP being the sweet spot. I’m open to and would actually prefer something around 2007 or older to avoid emission issues and would prefer a minimal amount of electrical/ electronic stuff. I figure these machines would be easier for me to maintain or fix as I’m already maintaining my tractor and a large diesel mower (both circa 2000 or so).
I’d like to stick with mainline brands that are still in business, so Bobcat, Case, JD, NH, Gehl/Mustang.

I tested out a Mustang with the T bar handle and wasn’t a fan. I felt like it was always wanting to move, either forward or backward and thus was very jumpy. Also, the Mustang had the single pin bucket, so I was concerned about finding a reasonable priced grapple bucket.

I see a lot of grapple buckets listed on auctions with the standard Bobtach system and sometimes they can be bought for $500-1,000.

Anyway I’m open to any and all input, suggestions etc. regarding machines to look for and ones to avoid. Ultimately, I’m thinking budget of $12,000 or so.

Also, curious about what type of grapple bucket would best suit my needs? In addition to picking up tree limbs, I have multiple groves of Scotch Pines that cover the ground with needles, pine cones, etc. I have a rake for the 3PH of my tractor that does a great job of cleaning them up. However, loading them is another story as I have to use a pitch fork to get the in the tractor loader. I’m thinking a solid bucket with cut down sides and grapple?

Thanks for all replies!

IMCA38

Occupation
Insurance claims
Also, I’d be interested to hear how many hours are too many hours. My thought is that I’d for sure like to be under 4,000 hours. Is that reasonable? Should I be more or less concerned about hours?

JBrady

Unless you are looking at really old skid steers, your HP range is on the low side. Anything remotely modern (>2000) is going to be around 60hp and up. If you are relating HP from you ag tractor to a skid steer, they don't really work that way. If you have something like a Massey 231, a comparable skid steer might be a Bobcat S150, which is still nearly 50hp. You'll also find that a good grapple bucket is quite heavy and for doing brush cleanup, I'd want a machine that could lift at least 1500lbs. For your stated needs and budget, I'd look at something like a Case 1845, Bobcat 753/175, or an equivalent Cat or Deere. I'd stay away from the older orphaned skid steers like Thomas. You don't see many Gehls in my part of the country, but further North where you are, I think they are more common and might be worth a look. With hours, it all depends on the maintenance and care they received over the years. That being said, most skid steers I have seen with 4000+hrs are about ready for the scrap yard. Keep in mind too that when looking at older equipment, putting much confidence in an hour meter being actual hours is quite a gamble.

62oliver

I agree, if Case, a 1845, or one of the XT series, they are still basic machines, no computers, and tough as nails. Bobcat 773 was always a good one too, but not familiar with what $12,000 will get you in your part of the world.
A decent skid steer is far more suited for what you seem to want to do, a rock bucket with a grapple is really nice for cleaning up, but as noted, they get heavy.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I was told by a Bobcat mechanic that any skidsteer with over 3000-3500 hours was a major repair waiting to happen. I don't know how true that is, but just thought I would throw it out here, as that seams like it has been true in my past experience. Also, I suggest you buy a brand that has good parts backup and service in your area.
Jeff

IMCA38

Occupation
Insurance claims
First off, thank you for all of the replies.
Clarification on a couple of points- my tractor is VERYsmall. It’s a 23 HP-ish diesel. The tractor alone weighs around 1500 lbs. With loader, a 3PH implement and loaded tires, it might be 2500-2800.
So, a 30 HP skid steer with 1000 lb lift would still be a serious upgrade.
While I appreciate HP and lift capacity, I’d still want the loader to not be more than low 5,000 lb range so I don’t rut up my yard. In addition, I have a basic car trailer and half ton pickup, so 5,500 or so is probably the limit on that.
So models that would be on my interest list might be Bobcat- 643, 743, 751, 753, 763, and maybe 773 or 7753.
Case- 1835 diesel, 1838, maybe 40XT. JD- 575, 675, 4475, 5575, 6675.
I’m still learning Gehl and Mustang numbers. I looked at a Mustang 930 diesel. I liked it overall except for the wonky T bar steering.
Thanks again!

IMCA38

Occupation
Insurance claims
15DA6BEA-EE40-4AEE-92F4-ED4EA94875DE.jpeg 0D808D04-D3B0-44D1-BF1A-1556EC03DF6C.jpeg A2578B31-7F06-4A56-97F6-BB254774767F.jpeg ECD99900-CD6C-411C-9E6C-B6863323F5B4.jpeg UPDATE-
Well, for better or worse, I pulled the trigger on a 1999 Case 1840. It has 1773 hours on the clock and from the condition, it appears legit. The seller bought it about a year ago from the original owner, an older gentleman hobby farmer. The seller only put about 50 hours on it and decided to let it go. This machine is definitely to the big end of what I was looking for. However, I heard a lot of good things about older Case machines and these with the Cummins in particular.
Now, to find a grapple bucket and get to work on trees!

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
That is quite a find with such low hours. I have had half a dozen 1840's during the 90's and early 2000's. Good machines, 50 hp and 1500 pounds of lift and about 16 gpm at the aux. Well done.

Jhgabe

Yes nice skiddy indeed look into a clam bucket or known as 4 in 1 bucket you can use it as a grapple bucket, box blade, dozer blade or standard bucket. Make sure to keep your auxiliary connections clean. Any dirt in these hydraulic systems can be fatal I’m dealing with it now

kenworth

Occupation
Jack of a Few Trades, Master of None
Nice find, that machine looks great.
You are really going to like it and find many uses for it.
I would suggest getting a set of pallet forks for it, you will use them alot.
I have a case 1845C and it has been a awesome machine.
For any buckets for your machine I would recommend Jenkins Iron and Steel.
upload_2021-8-27_6-32-1.png
My machine came with a cheap bucket that did not fit the coupler right and would some times come off when back dragging.
After much research I ordered 2 buckets from Jenkins, a Low Profile Dirt/Material Bucket and a Rock Bucket.
The craftsmanship of their buckets is excellent and they fit the machine coupler tight and don't come off.
A month ago I called them and ordered a Snow Pusher for my machine to be ready for winter and they said that they have a 3 month backlog so I should get my snow pusher sometime in October.
Their products are fairly priced, very well made and I highly recommend them.
Have a look at their brush grapple or skeleton rock and brush grapple.
Once you have a skid steer with multiple attachment you will wonder why you waited so long to get one.
Keep us posted.

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-27_6-34-53.png
    upload_2021-8-27_6-34-53.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 4

IMCA38

Occupation
Insurance claims
Well, I see that my thread was brought up in response to another thread, so this is a good opportunity for an update. I’ve put around 30-40 hours on so far and am very pleased with the loader.
Soon after I got it, I bought a very beat up Bobcat bucket with double grapples at an auction. I replaced the hoses and one cylinder and patched up the bucket and slapped a coat of paint on it. Works great now!
Also, I bought a full plate and fabbed up a “multi tool”. I beefed up the plate with a piece of channel and welded on two hitch receivers, one straight out and one angled up at 60 degrees. I added mounts for three additional inserts and a tool box to hold pins, chains, etc.
Then I used a piece of heavy wall square tubing to make a lifting boom.
This can be used to move trailers, lift things, reach up into trees to knock down loose limbs, and pull things such as fence posts.
Lastly, I’m now working on a dethatcher rake that will mount into the receiver. I have the first iteration done, but need to make a few refinements.

Attachments

• AB7EF564-8235-453A-BAB7-4E0E63DACD1A.jpeg
    AB7EF564-8235-453A-BAB7-4E0E63DACD1A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
  • 38D2101F-1DBC-4CA5-8FBB-320C316455BA.jpeg
    38D2101F-1DBC-4CA5-8FBB-320C316455BA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 43
  • 9839B18B-DB78-4D12-BA5B-8E7415FFC7AE.jpeg
    9839B18B-DB78-4D12-BA5B-8E7415FFC7AE.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 43
  • DFD579E5-F617-4DE9-9A89-C6E2A0584DBC.jpeg
    DFD579E5-F617-4DE9-9A89-C6E2A0584DBC.jpeg