1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Seeking a Trailer Manufacturer Recommendation

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by ericscher, Dec 19, 2014.

1. ericscher

ericscher Well-Known Member

I need to buy a trailer.

I have not settled on Tag (pintle) or Gooseneck, but for this question I am not sure it matters. My truck is set up both ways and has more than enough capacity either way.

Basically, I am looking for a 14,000lb flat deck trailer in the 24 - 25 foot range. The trailer will haul a mini-excavator, not yet purchased, but which will be in the 7,500-9,000 pound range.

Money is not unlimited of course, but I DO want to buy a quality piece of equipment that I won't have to worry about.

Can anyone suggest any manufacturers that would be a good choice for me?

Also, if anyone has had a direct experience with a builder to AVOID, I would like to know that too, but in keeping with the Rules here, it should be something that you can speak to directly and experienced/witnessed for yourself.

2. mowingman

mowingman Senior Member

Belshe Trailers, in southern Oklahoma. They have been building high quality, heavy duty trailers for many, (maybe 30+) years. They are not a real big company, and do not have a very fancy website. However, when it comes to building trailers for hauling backhoes, excavators, skidsteers, etc. there is none better. You can get most of their models in either pintle hitch, or gooseneck arraingement.

3. DeereJohn

DeereJohn Active Member

Gator makes an excellent trailers and there is a dealer in ohio. 8k lb axels (much bigger brakes) and assisted, lay flat 40" ramps. Strongly suggest you check them out.

4. ericscher

Gator is on my short list.
    PJ is also

I'll check out Belshe too. Hadn't heard of them before.

5. monster76

monster76 Senior Member

as far as tag trailers go i like eager beavers gooseneck we have an Anderson and an old triple axle no troubles at all same with the beaver. my .02 buy the heaviest capacity trailer you can afford

6. ericscher

On this one the GVWR is set in stone. I can't go over 14,600. That's a business decision based on future plans.

7. Desertwheeler

Desertwheeler Senior Member

Miner
    Pj makes nice trailers. Heard good about gator and own an elite which isn't bad at all.

8. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    We have three Tarasport trailers, all three of different styles. All I can say is they build a quality trailer, very satisfied. :)

http://www.tarasport.com/

9. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

10. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

NO PJ trailers. Built cheaply. Have used a 22' tiltbed car trailer a few times and do not like it at all. ABU here in Dwight, ND builds a nice trailer. Over in Sauk Center, MN, Felling has good trailers. Had a Contrail once. That trailer was the best one of all, but I'm not sure they are still around. Whatever you decide, my opinion is go with spring suspension. I have had a few torsion trailers, springs ride better and tires last longer.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  11. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

I have had good luck with Econoline trailers.

They have a good 14K tilt trailer available as well as others.

12. still learn'n

still learn'n Senior Member

We have a 14,000 lb felling tilt deck 7' stationary in front and 16' tilt deck and it hasn't been a good trailer for us but they have done some updates since we bought it so they might be better now and also the style of trailer you want is different! Jerry

13. Andrew_D

Andrew_D Senior Member

Have a PJ. 22' deckover. 8' slide in ramps (don't use ramps very often). 2x7,000lb axles. 8"? I-beam.

So far I like it. I use to have a car-hauler style trailer (also PJ), but found I was hauling mostly pallets of supplies. Traded for a deckover 102" wide. Already know what I'd want on the next one! Dual jacks in the front - lowering that spring-loaded foot is a pain with a spare tire in the middle of the A-frame! Also, I'd go to 10,000 lb axles to get duals. Those 7,000lb axles aren't as wide and when loaded with pallets 2-wide down the deck, it's a bit top-heavy and sways (yeah, it might have been over-weight too :) ! You could always get 2x10,000lb axles but only register/license it for 14,000lb or whatever.

Andrew

14. JNB

JNB Senior Member

Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
    If you do your own wrenching, don't rule out rehabbing a used trailer to save some bucks.

I've had very good luck with my 14k 20+5 Big Tex gooseneck. Its a 1996 model that I purchased about seven years ago. Since I do a lot of one-day jobs it gets used pretty much every day. When I got it I replaced the bearings, the brakes from the backing plates out, rewired it complete with a new breakaway and painted it. The trailer doesn't have duals, so I run G-rated tires for a little piece of mind. It will need new deck boards this year, but even after that I saved $2k over a new trailer.

15. ericscher

OK, I have a followup question...

I intend for this trailer to be able to haul a variety of different equipment.

• Excavator
    • Skid Steer
    • Tractor w/ a device hooked to the 3-point, which in turn is dragging a roller on a pintle hook.

I believe that the most versatile option would be a flatbed/deckover trailer, but there are multiple loading options; Beavertails, Full & Partial Tile, various ramp options, etc...

Anyone got some experience to share on those options that I might want to know before I buy anything?

16. Andrew_D

Andrew_D Senior Member

For those loads, I would look at a beavertail w/ flip-over ramps myself. I think they would be best for heavier loads on the ramps.

And yes, a deckover!

Andrew

17. JNB

JNB Senior Member

Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
    Mine has a 5' dovetail with flip over ramps. The dovetail and ramps are self-cleaning. When I have a brush hog attached I'll use every bit of the 20' deck and ramps, and the tail-wheel sits even with the end of the trailer/ramps. Same thing if I'm taking a landplane to the job with a box blade attached to the 3-point.

One thing I'll be adding to my trailer is a flip up center ramp with rubber belt material for loading a vibratory roller. Steel on steel can be a bit hairy when loading a roller on a deckover so I haul it on another smaller trailer I have.

I do a lot of steel culvert installs and many of them are 30 footers so flip over ramps are a must. We're legal with 5' over here in Texas.

18. ericscher

Anyone ever hear of Sure-Trac?

19. redneckracin

redneckracin Senior Member

Civil Engineer
    I have a moritz 20+5 14.5k GN that works great. IT even has an adjustable beaver tail so i can have a full 25' flat deck. The ramps are built heavy but they are spring assisted.

20. RTSmith

RTSmith Senior Member

Not where it should be..!
    I have beavertail, with stand up ramps. Meaning I stand the ramp straight up, and there is a 2' bar that attaches to the trailer and the ramp to hold it up. It works great to haul a long load. When I haul my tractor & batwing cutter, it is just over 29'L, so with the stand ups, I get all of the 30' trailer. For shorter loads, they will fold over like normal.