• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

GuglioLS

Occupation
Electronics Field Service
If you can fine one like this or similar you will be all set. Many pages ago in this forum, I posted pictures of this exact seat I installed on my D20A. Do not get the Armrest option, it is too wide to fit between the fuel and hydraulic tanks. Whatever you get best to have hydraulic suspension and adjustable to and fro. I added a seat belt for those scary situations.

upload_2019-3-8_12-36-38.png

mcbike57

Occupation
30+years independent M/C, ATV, UTV Shop
GuglioLS,
Thank You again for another good bit of information. Checked their website and did not see this particular seat offered. Did a quick measure on the dozer. The existing replacement seat has a front height of about 6 inches and falls back to the butt area of about 3 to 4 inches. The seat appears to be a Tractor Supply replacement seat for a Kubota Tractor. Bolted solid to the base plate. No suspension or adjust what so ever. It sits about right for easy use of all controls. I do not want to sit above the controls (especially the steering handles), but my back would be most appreciative of some sort of floatation/suspension seat :)

mcbike57

Occupation
I want thank all of you guys for the wealth of information that you have posted to this section of hef. I have hooked up with 2 great parts guys with knowledge/parts and some really nice members with information/suggestions. As a newbie I am so grateful! The dozer is not my passion, but it is a focus for what I need to do to correct some bits on some parts of my property. Thank You very much!
While not a passion the little dozer is a tool that I will care for because any tool worth the keeping should be seen to and serviced! Any tool that is used and is serviced as it should be will last the users lifetime in most instances.

Last edited:

GuglioLS

Occupation
Electronics Field Service
Unfortunately The Bostrom Viking T bar seat was discontinued. However it has 4" of travel using a hydraulic cylinder (not an air cylinder), adjustable tension for any weight and three back tilt positions, slides forward and reverse, it weighs a ton, okay about 50+ pounds Sits higher than the OEM seat which IMHO is allot more comfortable than sitting low.
I suppose the thing to do is measure the width between tanks to find one to fit.The seat plate will need to be removed then drilled to match the bolt pattern on just about any seat selected. There are endless choices just that a high back or anything with arm rests will probably not fit. Check tractor supply and amazon.

upload_2019-3-8_22-18-15.png

tantoy

Called Komatsu dealer in Louisville KY today. Parts guy was very friendly. Told me he did not know where the little ball bearing went or what its function was, he just sold parts. Ordered ball bearing and the 2 missing spacers. In the meantime Darin Mitchell had been trying to establish contact with me after I had emailed him about same. After playing phone tag we connected by email. Darin told me that there are actually three of those little bearings and they fit in the three holes that are evenly spaced around the body of the little piece. Smack forehead! Since I have worked on Japanese motorcycles, atvs and utvs for over 30 years I got a little drawer full of ball bearings. Quickly dug out three that fit the holes, but will further measure and make sure they are correct. The little bearings seem to work to center the piece they go in and the big ball bearing that fits inside is shoved in after a rather stiff spring. It seems to contact the little bearings to force them out to keep the piece centered. Now if I can figure out what the whole piece does? I think it has to do with blade float since there is no fluid actually going thru the piece. While it is frustrating to not be able to play with my new (to me) toy it is satisfying to get something sorted out right. By the way, the two little collars that were missing are apparently nowhere in the US. O D the parts guy in Louisville told me they would be on a plane out of Tokyo tonight. Also If you ever need Komatsu parts that have to come from Komatsu I recommend that you call the dealership in Louisville and ask for O D in parts. Anybody have any suggestions as to a good seat for this little dozer? Thanks.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006PJJDI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This seat fit real nice. I will get a picture of it instaled on my d21

tantoy

Third picture is a cover for a boat seat to protect from weather. I mounted the seat on 2x2" tube to get a little higher. I am 6' and is quite comfortable,

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    464.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    410.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    443.8 KB · Views: 31

mcbike57

Occupation
Tantoy,
Seat looks great. Saw a used one almost like it on fleabay for $250 shipped, but at this time the seller has not answered my questions. What did you use on your gear shift lever. My molded on black handle is partially broken. Thanks for the pics.

mcbike57

Occupation
tantoy,
Thanks for the information on the lever handles and the armrests. I got the 2 little collars in today for my left spool. They do not seem right. Darin Mitchell of dmmachinery told me they were 2 different sizes. I guess I got the wrong ones. Going try and figure this out. Thanks again.

Last edited:

tantoy

tantoy,
Thanks for the information on the lever handles and the armrests. I got the 2 little collars in today for my left spool. They do not seem right. Darin Mitchell of dmmachinery told me they were 2 different sizes. I guess I got the wrong ones. Going try and figure this out. Thanks again.
Are you truing to stop oil from seeping out of blade tilt/lift spools ? Mine leaks a little there to so curios what you find out.

tantoy

mcbike57,
I was wondering what was happening with your steering system troubleshooting and repair. Sounds like your got that under control. Are the steering case covers back on? If so I was wondering if you have any tricks getting that control rod hooked into the front break band fingers while at the same time threading the other end of the shaft through the tension adjuster AND while all that is happening suspending the case cover just enough so you can actually do all that and see its all going back together correctly? Ive done it 4 times (2 on each side) and that part never gets any easier. I am getting to be sort of an expert taking it all apart, rotating the tracks while unbolting the clutch / break drum bolts etc. The part i never look forward to is getting the case covers back on and have all the break linkages lined up. I fiddle with that part of it for hours, which is much longer than taking the entire system apart. Seems like the alignment of all the planets and stars needs to be just right for it to "fall into place". Holding your tongue just right while uttering a few choice 4 letter words and certain hand gestures has never made it any easier.

Bummer about the jacked up spool - sorry about that. Hopefully there is a screw cap cover that holds a detect ball and spring. I have no doubts you will get that corrected. Thank you for the compliments on my man cave.

Post some pictures!!!

View attachment 193507
Tip for hooking up steering band when replacing clutch covers. See post #2295 on page 115. This worked good for me.

mcbike57

Occupation
Are you truing to stop oil from seeping out of blade tilt/lift spools ? Mine leaks a little there to so curios what you find out.
tantoy,
I bought new seals. They are just a rubber compound of some kind. Not a metal and rubber seal like we use here at the shop on bikes and atvs. More like packing for a faucet. I had the bright idea to order some of the seals like we use here in the correct size. After getting the correct seals and actually installing them I figured out that the metal/rubber seals would not work with the holder. Where the spool rod comes out there is a little collar that is held down by 2 5mm allen head screws. The seal goes in this little collar after you remove the collar. Since it is aluminum and pretty small there is no way you can force a seal like we use into it without breaking the ears off. I was actually a little apprehensive about screwing it back down with the correct rubber seals installed. The blade lift spool is the most bothersome to replace the seals in. To take the tope seal out you have to unscrew the clevis from the spool rod. Clamp a pair of vise grips on the spool rod and break the clevis loose. I had to get out the little map gas torch and put a little heat to it before it would come loose. I was told to do this by someone who works on these little fellers. Vise grips never made a scuff on the spool rod. Stopped the fluid leaking too! If the bottom just seeps very little I would leave it alone. Major pain to replace.

mcbike57

Occupation
Here are a few pics of my toy dozer. Just about ready to go to work. Spools fixed. Seat installed. Just a few more grease zerks and it is ready to go (I hope).

Attachments

• DSCF0124.JPG
    DSCF0124.JPG
    476.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF0125.JPG
    DSCF0125.JPG
    474.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF0126.JPG
    DSCF0126.JPG
    480.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF0127.JPG
    DSCF0127.JPG
    451.5 KB · Views: 34

tantoy

Here are a few pics of my toy dozer. Just about ready to go to work. Spools fixed. Seat installed. Just a few more grease zerks and it is ready to go (I hope).
Looks Great! Whats your serial #? looks very close to my machine. What seat did you end up finding?

Attachments

• d21a 020.JPG
    d21a 020.JPG
    430.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    453.5 KB · Views: 15

mcbike57

Occupation
Yes it looks like we got the same dozer. My serial number is a little after yours. 65046 is the serial number on mine. The seat came from Milsco. Found it on Amazon. Armrests unbolted. Mechanical suspension seat with adjustable back (no lumbar). Came with seat belt. The cutting edge on your blade looks in better condition than mine. Where does one get the end pieces? I have a blade edge around here someplace, but do not know what it fits or if they are universal as far as bolt hole spacing.
41RI2zFNAQL.jpg

cblank

Has anyone put oil in the clutch/ brake compartments on a Komatsu d21p-6?
I know the larger models run them in oil.
The most trouble I’ve ever had is tust in the clutch compartments.