• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Krackerjack9

Occupation
working in Iraq right now
Call either one of these guys:
www.dmmsales.com Darin Ray in NY
www.kentbaughequipment.com in Texas
I just ordered a full set of clutches and brake bands from Kent this morning,,, both these guys have numerous post on this thread and can get all the parts you need with reasonable pricing,,,, both also sell on eBay
Good luck and let us know how things turn out
Tommy
Hey have you finished your clutch job yet?? got mine running great except for the steering the left handle you pull it and there is nothing no feel for it, the right one get about 1/2 way and then it grabs, I like your ROPS on yours wish mine was like that and you got the 11in tracks vs I got the pyramids.
let me know how its going and any photos would be great

T Curtiss

Hey have you finished your clutch job yet?? got mine running great except for the steering the left handle you pull it and there is nothing no feel for it, the right one get about 1/2 way and then it grabs, I like your ROPS on yours wish mine was like that and you got the 11in tracks vs I got the pyramids.
let me know how its going and any photos would be great
I haven't got to play with mine much yet... stupid thing called work gets in the way!! and my land is two hours north of where I am working. I went ahead and ordered a set of clutches that I will put in come spring time., But I am very happy with my purchase! Just taking sometime to change fluids and fixing a few neglected things as I plan on keeping it a long time!
keep adjusting on those brake bands and you should start getting some handle tension on them,,, had to do the same on mine,,, I just decided to get a set of clutches from Kent Baugh to make them right,,, ordered one day, had them the next and a really nice guy to talk to!!! Definitely will use him again!

Krackerjack9

Occupation
Sounds good, everyone that comes over want to drive and when I start it up always on the first crank, it fires up as soon as you turn the key. Any way everyone comments on how smooth the engine runs, no vibrations or buzzing, fan actually makes more noise than the exhaust. Yeah we just started on the Exxon plant here and its a good 20-22 month job on just making the haul road from the port to the plant. 11 billion Exxon is putting into this plant so how many years of operation will it take to start making money?? Its supposed to have a 75yr lifespan most likely more and well over 1000 extra acres to expand when needed

Krackerjack9

Occupation
Got my left handle adjusted it was just barely pushing that piston the other one was pushing it in all the way, got it adjusted and now I can spin either way.
I thinking wow I got everything working great... what why is that red light on!!! thinking my alt might be not working so going to have to test it, batteries are fine, other than that this little dozer is working good!!!

T Curtiss

That is really cool! I have my clutches, just haven’t got them in yet,,,, we are working lots of hours and I can’t get a weekend off! Take that alternator to Orilieys and get it tested,,, if it’s bad,,, try to find a rebuild shop or see if you can order parts Orr eBay as I hear those are a little pricey, Good luck and keep in touch!

JimInOz

Hi Guys,
Looking for Parts & Repair Manuals for a D20A-7 dozer.
PDF version please.
PM me & let me know payment details,etc.

I'm working on this dozer & it has no steering at all.
Trying to work out if it's a joystick/hydraulic issue ,or frozen clutches.
Machine has sat idle for some time.

Thanks
Jim

RRRancher

Occupation
Retired
JimInOz, I bought one from Tradebit a year or two back and had no problems, but your mileage may vary. Didn't see on the original post that you are located in Australia. I would imagine postage would be pretty expensive for something that heavy. I buy the PDF versions that I can download instantly. Then I can read about what I am currently working on, and print out only the pages I need for the current job.

I don't know about the D20A-7 manual, but the A6 manual appears to only exist in a badly Xeroxed copy that was then scanned in. The pictures are almost worthless. There may be original manuals out there somewhere, but I have never laid eyes on one in my searches. I have a hard copy I got with my dozer, and then I ordered a PDF version later on, thinking it would be a bit better. Nope, it was the same.

I also don't know if the A7 clutches are the same as the A6 clutches, but there are several posts here in previous pages that discuss steering clutches and some of the problems and solutions. Good luck with it, sir.

JimInOz

Hi RRR,

I actually have proper OEM books for the 6 series.I own a lot of manuals that I bought over the years.
I always liked the American manuals.Great pics & info...Case,IH,Cat,etc were all good.
The Jap manuals were not great...I think they are only written with trained mechanics in mind.And don't get me started on their Parts books.

This 7 series machine has the joystick steering .Looks like a good thing,but no steering at present,as both sides appear to be frozen.
My main experience is with the Mitsubishi dozers,so the Komatsu is new to me.
I think I'll just pull it all down & renew the ruined parts.I always like to have the manual ,for tips & specs.
Also need to do something with the trans brake band.

I'll give Tradebit a shot & see what I get.

Jim

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Hi RRR,

I actually have proper OEM books for the 6 series.I own a lot of manuals that I bought over the years.
I always liked the American manuals.Great pics & info...Case,IH,Cat,etc were all good.
The Jap manuals were not great...I think they are only written with trained mechanics in mind.And don't get me started on their Parts books.

This 7 series machine has the joystick steering .Looks like a good thing,but no steering at present,as both sides appear to be frozen.
My main experience is with the Mitsubishi dozers,so the Komatsu is new to me.
I think I'll just pull it all down & renew the ruined parts.I always like to have the manual ,for tips & specs.
Also need to do something with the trans brake band.

I'll give Tradebit a shot & see what I get.

Jim
http://www.tractorbooks.co.nz/

I have got two manuals from these guys , one a photo copy , other proper printed manual made up from two . Bolted workshop job with annotations from a south island hydro dam site and an ex govt Ministry of works branch in Napier .

Jpres

Hey guys, new user here. I've recently purchased a d20-7 with a rod hanging out of the block. I purchased a good used engine which had came out of kumatsu forklift and I'm in the process of swapping it out. They have the same blocks, crank, rods, pistons, and cam. Heads, injectors, and injector pumps are different. Has anyone else experienced this before?

Jpres

Also, could anyone confirm the year?

Attachments

• 20180226_105820.jpg
    20180226_105820.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 5632.jpeg
    5632.jpeg
    746.7 KB · Views: 30

JPSouth

Just found this thread, very informative. I'm looking at acquiring an early 2000s D21A-7 machine, and wondered what year model they went to the joystick/powershift type controls? I'm always leery of buying 1st year equipment where there's been a pretty radical design change. Generally they need a couple years to get things sorted out and effect changes.

Also, has anyone operated these machines at higher altitudes (5000'+)? Wondered if the engine felt like it still generated enough power to put in a good day's work.

Anything unique to this design that I might find useful to ask/look at when I go to check it out? Thanks ~

Kevan wilson

I fixed the steering on my dads D21p-6 using info on this forum. Thanks. It has a serial number 65278. I think it's 85-92 year model. I was hoping someone could look it up for me thanks kevan

Dahendo

Hi all,

New to the forum, just bought a 98' d217E and could use some expert advise! Everything seems to operate fine on my machine except the clutch. No matter how gently I release the clutch, it feels like I'm dumping it. Goes from no engagement to full engagement with almost no travel. The steering doesn't suffer from the same problem, they can be feathered in.

Is there a separate drive clutch, or does the foot pedal just engage both steering clutches at the same time? (IE is it a pedal adjustment that's needed or some internal work on the drive clutch)

Thanks for the help.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Hi all,

New to the forum, just bought a 98' d217E and could use some expert advise! Everything seems to operate fine on my machine except the clutch. No matter how gently I release the clutch, it feels like I'm dumping it. Goes from no engagement to full engagement with almost no travel. The steering doesn't suffer from the same problem, they can be feathered in.

Is there a separate drive clutch, or does the foot pedal just engage both steering clutches at the same time? (IE is it a pedal adjustment that's needed or some internal work on the drive clutch)

Thanks for the help.
they stop working altogether soon enough . One on a neighbours has failed and he just uses the throttle and gear change to operate it . Its seems alright once you get used to it but was hairy on steep ground when I had ago . I did notice he had a problem controlling his walk speed when we used a wheel tractor and the dozer winch to haul it back onto the track ,having the clutch would have helped . I have been told its not expensive parts wise but labour intensive to repair , another model has a similar problem @ around 4000 hours . I'm rather interested how you get on with this .