• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Seal installer, Fuso 4d34

Mobilewrench

I need to do a rear main seal on a Fuso this week and bought a seal installer online.
It didn't come with instructions and it isn't like any other seal installer for mains that I have.

Mobilewrench

I don't know if it is just going to make sense when I pull the trans, but I can't seem to figure out how this is supposed to work.
The hole on the under side in pic 4 must be to secure the tool to the crank shaft. But why is there only one? The hole on top in pic 1 is 180 degrees off of the other.
The three pieces (guide to shaft, installer and knurled handle) are all held together with the roll pin in pic 1. So I could get the holes to line up by removing it and rotating the tool... If they even need to be aligned.

So it looks like I take out the roll pin, attach the guide to the crank with only one bolt, put the installer and handle back on the guide, put the roll pin back in and then drive the seal and wear sleeve on with a hammer. But that is just an assumption. Maybe I am supposed get the two holes lined up and put an appropriate stud into the crank in the 12 o'clock position, put a nut on the stud, hang onto the handle like a monkey and tighten the nut til the installer bottoms out.

Anyway, if anyone has used an installer like this (and this style of installer was all that I could find) let me know how to use it.

56wrench

Maybe they forgot to drill a second set of holes 180 degrees from the first set if the crank flange bolt pattern has 2 that are 180 apart?

Mobilewrench

Thanks guys. I did the job on Friday.
It all made sense when I pulled the flywheel. It would have made sense before them if I had actually looked at the parts. But this was one of those jobs that someone else did the diagnosis and parts ordering and then disappeared. So I didn't see the parts until I saw the truck.
I don't like that situation. I always explain very clearly to the client in this situation, "I'm not saying that that isn't what's happening, but you need to remember that it wasn't me that said it was.". Honestly on this one it was the rear main leaking, but if I had looked at it first I would have taken care of the obvious oil pan seal leak that it could have been. Same mess, still needs to be done and a much less invasive repair.

Anyway, I had it in mind that the tool was to replace a press in rear main with a wear sleeve. But the rear main is a bolt on and the seal runs on the face of the "oil slinger" instead of on the outer diameter of a wear sleeve. So the tool (which was very clearly labeled "Fuso (4D34) rear oil slinger installer) was just for getting the slinger to the correct depth on the crank. The hole in the guide was for the flywheel alignment dowel. Still don't know what the hole on the installer was for unless the tool was put together wrong and it was a spy hole to see the dowel through. And it was just hit it with a hammer.