• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Screw type compressor problem

alyx

So I found myself in a little over my head with this one. I’ve got a Sullivan palatek screw type compressor. One day while it was running it decided to puke out a bunch of atf through compressor intake. I’m not familiar with this piece of equipment at all. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? Thanks!

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
No expert, but IIRC it has a separator that removes oil from the air. Maybe the problem is in it.
Mike

alyx

It does have a superstore yes. I just can’t wrap my head around how it gets enough librication to pass through the inlet and out the intake.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I'm going to guess that it did this puking when you shut it down.

Not familiar with a "palatek" compressor, but if it is anything like most other screw compressors there is a discharge line off the bottom of the actual compressor itself. The 185 that I have worked on has a ball type check valve right there. This check ball is about the size of a billiards ball. When compressor shuts down and stops pushing air out the bottom this ball is to pop up to it's seat and prevent back flow through the compressor and out the intake.

Maybe with a bit more information on this compressor I could find something to better explain this valve. I can only assume it is located in a fairly large line on the discharge side of the compressor. Should be a fairly simple type of check valve, possibly spring loaded. As soon as there is no air flow out the compressor head it should slam shut to prevent a back flow through the compressor.

If you could post a couple good pictures of the piping on the compressor I might be able to point out where I would expect to find it!

alyx

Hello! Sorry for the delayed response. I’ve been overwhelmed at the shop and the compressor was deemed not a priority. Thank you for the information. I’m about to tear into this now. I will certainly be looking into the check valve before anything else. I will be sure to post my findings. Thank you again to everyone that has responded

I'm going to guess that it did this puking when you shut it down.

Not familiar with a "palatek" compressor, but if it is anything like most other screw compressors there is a discharge line off the bottom of the actual compressor itself. The 185 that I have worked on has a ball type check valve right there. This check ball is about the size of a billiards ball. When compressor shuts down and stops pushing air out the bottom this ball is to pop up to it's seat and prevent back flow through the compressor and out the intake.

Maybe with a bit more information on this compressor I could find something to better explain this valve. I can only assume it is located in a fairly large line on the discharge side of the compressor. Should be a fairly simple type of check valve, possibly spring loaded. As soon as there is no air flow out the compressor head it should slam shut to prevent a back flow through the compressor.

If you could post a couple good pictures of the piping on the compressor I might be able to point out where I would expect to find it!

alyx

i have the discharge line off currently. i am able to clearly see the inside of compressor. thats a big negative on the check valve.

i do have a seperate question. what is the function of the recirculation valve?

alyx

As requested im posting the model # D375Q8AY and Serial # 71553A. I have everything apart now and I am about to post pics of my findings. Thanks to everyone who has posted thier advice. I appreciate it.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
valve.png
I was not able to find any info on a D375Q8AY but the above could be the same. I'm wondering if in place of having a check valve on the outlet this outfit is using that check valve on the inlet to stop air pressure from back feeding into the air filter on shut down? MIoght at least be something to take a look at and see if there is some problems in that area

alyx

still no sign of a check valve fellas. forgive my ignorance on the subject but is the recirculating valve responsible for the opening and closing of the unloader valve? is this oil through the intake perhaps caused by the unloader valve not being signaled to open and close properly?