• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Screw Jack

Old Doug

I found a Duff Horton ratcheting screw jack 25 ton for sale i have probably used one but cant remember i am thinking about it to carry in my truck because of the dampness and wondering if it will work from setting with a hydrolic jack. Why did these jacks lose out in the market price, weight ?

crane operator

I have a duff norton ratcheting screw jack, they are kind of a pain to let something down with smoothly, and it can be difficult in tight quarters to get enough throw on the handle.

I'm sure its cheaper and less machine work to build a hydraulic jack vs the screw ratcheting type. I don't think my screw jack is much different weight wise with a hydraulic one of similar capacity.

Some hydraulic jacks won't work on their side- like when pushing out a dent or a pin. The screw jack doesn't care.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
I've got one, no idea on the rating, came from the railroad, I used it to jack up houses. You sure don't reach out and grab it while walking past it. Heavy sob for sure.

Paired up with a couple big screw jacks, one can defy gravity.

Ed