• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Screening sand and rocks

Juice

Occupation
Underground Mining Foreman
Hi all,
Can anyone steer me right?
I'm just starting out screening sand and rock at my sand quarry.
Can anyone tell me what's the best,most efficient way of screening my rocks.
Do I screen the largest size out first then keep going down to smallest size I want?
OR, Do I screen for the smallest size first then work upwards?
Sand gets screened leaving me rocks from 5mm to 250mm as rejects.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

grandpa

Juice.... The best way is do it all in one pass... lol,,, but I know this is unrealistic. You probably will have to take the big ones off first,, if you take the small ones out, the big ones will break the small screen apart. Every pit screens differently, moisture content,, clay content,,, all these variables come into play, so there is no black and white answer.

A screen that has enough throw on the deck to bounce the big rocks up off the screen, might have too much throw for the fine particle's and might actually make them stick (called pegging) into the screen... Im sure I've given you plenty to think about so will wait for your reply for now.... Gramps

JDOFMEMI

It also depends on how many sizes you are making. Do you need 1, 2, 3, or more sizes?
Are you crushing as well, or just screening? What is the makeup of the feed material?
You can get a portable plant with a 3 deck screen and in theory make 4 products, but what you are putting in versus what you are expecting to get may dictate more handling.
Generally you take the oversize off the top, then the largest nominal size and work down to the smaller material at the bottom.

There are lots of tricks to get the most out of the equipment.

Juice

Occupation
Underground Mining Foreman
I was hoping you'd say that men, as it's what I was thinking.
I've got a portable, twin deck screener to give me 3 products.
I screen raw river sand with a lot of different size rocks.
Sand is my bread and butter, but the rocks are the cream.
I'll be producing 4 sizes when I finish getting the screens I want.
Don't really want to touch raw product more than twice, however the end results justify some handling.
That's until I make enough money to run another screener in sequence!!

cdm123

I find screening from large to small work best espesialy in clean material as if you take all the fines out the rock tends to roll back down the conveyor.