• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

screening filter media sand

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
Don't know what size screen opening you have or how many TPH you want/need. If it's absolutely dry, yes, you can. If there's ANY moisture along with silt or dirt in it the screens will blind. Being filter media it won't matter if it's wet, which I think won't be clean enough without a wash screen and a sand screw to remove all impurities. If the customer doesn't want to pay for the water then weigh a wet sample, dry it, weigh it, and deduct the weight of the water from your price.
Mike

grandpa

Really need to know the spec's for the product your trying to make? It can be done, like Stonebreaker said, it can be difficult at best. Being from north of me, are you one of the lucky ones that has a clean sand deposit that is clean enough to go without washing? ( Have you had it tested for that?) Really need to know what mesh size your target size is to give you an answer. Grandpa.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
Granpa, it amazes me folks come here asking for opinions/advice. We give our 2 cents worth, which perhaps to them is what it's worth, and no reply. Maybe because we give them the answers they don't want to hear.
Mike

one day at a time

meat of the spec graph is 0.25mm to 2.5mm, with tight uniformity required.
We have been making it painfully slowly with 1/4" top and 1/8" bottom, major squiqqly wire, with ball tray.
That equates to between 3 to 6mm range. Tighter enforcement of spec on the horizon and I doubt I can dry screen any finer than that. Considering using trommel, but don't think I can take out the bottom, screen size needed to small

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
Since you have two decks with a ball tray I suggest setting up to wash on the screen. Don't know your max oversize but maybe you could combine the oversize and undersize and find a market for it also. A warning: the screen cloth will wear fast where the sprays hit them so set up the spray bars so they can be moved back and forth to maximize screen cloth life. Play around with spray pressure to arrive at a happy medium between screen cloth life and product cleaning.
Mike