• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

screamin jimmys

dieseldave

I'm not trying to be disagreeable. Sorry I came across that way. The only reason that I know a detroit does not take kindly to header modifications is reading about one of the original detroit drag trucks. The name escapes me at the moment but it was Toyota with a 471 that was cranking out some serious HP. You may be correct about the turbo comment because I can't remember but I would assume that it had one. So any how the guy spent a lot of time making a better flowing exhaust only to be a complete failure in performance. It did look cool though. The butter fly valves are indeed open but those little holes are still little. A detroit sucks a huge amount of air. Think about it a 12v71 will use around a 1000 cfm at 2000rpm. A big cam cummins will use half that. In no way am I trying to start an argument. I just hate to see someone spend that much time on something that in my mind is a flop and the sheeple think its great. I think its great, but it could of been "holy ****" great. Ya know what I mean?

I didn't at all mean that you were being ornery- what I meant was that I was trying not to come across as a smug, know it all jacka$$ (which I am, but I want to keep it a secret;)) so I agreed with you even though I wasn't completely convinced of what you were saying. I do get your drift,though- the guy uses a diesel and dresses it up with hi performance gas engine parts rather than building a true high performance diesel. But, wrong or right I still dig it!:drinkup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I was trying not to come across as a smug, know it all jacka$$ (which I am, but I want to keep it a secret;))

Hey Dave, I've already had to concede to ya' once that you was right...am I going to have to do it again? (please don't make me do it) :lmao :drinkup

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
I operated Champion graders and TS 18 and TS 24's with Screamin' Jimmies. They were a dependable old engine and pretty much bullet proof. They did have their faults, particularly in a grader. They took a long time to get their revs up and have no torque at low revs and cannot lug, something you needed in a grader when finishing in the days before power shifts.

The noise issue was pretty much a self inflicted thing as when they were well muffled in a grader they weren't bad. Owners of Euclid/Terex scrapers often took the rear muffler off the back engine so the operator could hear it and not incorrectly shift the rear transmission when the engine was running wide open. The trannies in those old machines were a touch fragile and it didn't take much to wreck them through operator error. Like many other operators, my hearing isn't all that good, some of it caused by these engines but a lot of it from the whistling of turbos on engines like those in the D8H, etc.. Our own faults but back then nobody worried much about hearing loss, what with rock and roll, Thrush mufflers, etc!

Last edited:

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
2cycle diesels (love them)

I have worked on 3-71,6-71,6121T, 8V71TI,12V71 16V71, 6-110, 12V149 with 2 roots & 4 turbos, 3-268A,8-286A 8-278,12-278,12-567 and 16-567, and throw in a Fairbanks Morse 10 38 1/8D and they all screamed and now I wear 2 hearing aids But I think my real hearing damage was caused by M2 .50 cal. and 7.62. Also some very loud 4 stroke ALCO 251 V16's all were Marine engines inside steel hulls

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
Yes, any of those things would do it! Kinda like an old friend of mine whose hearing was not very good. The doctor asked him if he thought anything could have damaged his hearing...he replied.."ya. five years in the artillery"!

busdrivernine