• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Scrapers for the big boys !!!!

Kman9090

Thats alot of 57's how many are there? I have worked around alot of equipment and seen alot at my age, was a foremann on a job last year where we had 9 777 with a 5230 loading, the 5230 could load them in 2 passe, we had to get one of are 11's to knock down because the 10 couldnt keep up, also had 3 more d11's and a d10, pushing rock to the 5230, and had a few other ag tractors moving dirt.

I would love to work around a spread of nothing but 57's and 37's but i dont think i will get to

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
Hourly rate or cost? It sounds like you are trying to guess the S18 costs $500 to run because a 27 costs $400, in which case you are playing with some pretty wack numbers.

I know the hop you talk about but it's more a side to side wobble then anything. Rule of thumb for scrapers is if your GET is touching the ground you're in 2nd gear.

Kman9090

Thats why i asked how much it cost to run, if we charge $400 for a 27 per hour, we would charge around $500 for that machine, and at that cost we could run 1 14m, and a box blade, and still have money left over.

Yeah its more side to side, thats excatly my point, if you cant drag and go that fast in a regular scrapers how can you do it in this??? You can kinda see it start doing it in the video.

LDK

Another view!!

The way I see it, somebody had an idea, good or bad is for them to find out. I can't imagine passing an opinion on it, if I had not worked with or at least along side it.
There was a machine made along the same lines as that but I think it was based on Euclid or Terex scraper parts, in the late 60's or early 70's. If my memory serves me well I think they called it Big Mudda.

fiat41b

Quad track blew a track the other day $10,000 had less than 1000 hrs belonged to a friend my d8's and pans get close to 6000 hrs on the tracks

yesterday 6 TS18'S paid for hauled average 90 to 110 loads each and burnt only 908 gallons fuel at a lock in fuel price of $2.00

Went to the case dealer to get a hose made seen 485 hp Stieger asked how much to rent it was $90.00 per hr. or $15,480 month no fuel or operator or insurance added and had no scraper pans included.

Believe me i know how much cost is tractor and pans work great but conventional scrapers if conditions allow are faster on the fly their speeds will keep up with articulated haul trucks on the haul roads farm tractors better stay in the slow lane.

I bid against TJ on this job they got third i can see why $400.00 per hr for a 627 LOL.
wish i could get that, oh well new machines cost big big money better have lots of work which they always do they are very impressive to watch.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
It's the speed it can run that lets it clobber a grader on haul road maintenance. Like I said, it's running around 15mph doing the general grading on a haul road. Now, obviously, when it gets into heavy going, it's not going to be pounding along at that speed, but for general maintenance, it trucks right along. An added bonus is that with the added speed, the buggies aren't held up as much trying to get around it.

So at that fast your still getting nice smooth roads like a blade would at 10 mph (to be conservative). What about a beegee then you should to easily keep up with the S18 at cleaning up the roads?

Can you explain how you turn your buggies around at the end of the fill then? I'd love to see how a wheeldozer would be as productive as a machine with a wider blade that can work both directions instead of having to back up for every pass.

We try to set them up so you where in one end and out the other. If we did turn around it sure wasn't right where fill was being placed. Well first you have to have a comparable one so you need 844. We all know how to back drag so I don't see how a wheeldozer can't work both ways. That is material dependent though.

Of course there are other machines that can do the same things already, but instead of having to buy more of those machines, they built this one out of parts they had laying around.

Thats a good point although it could be said to keep the spares too. I missed the part about this was a one off like the D57 I though it was built by Cat.
Response in blue

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
A 37 is around $200/h to run and since this was made out of two junked 37s, a spare grader blade and some cylinders out of a scrapped 51 I don't see why it would cost any more. A D8 is around $180/h and can't cover as much ground but could do more heavy pushing. Since Prarie Road Builders (note the name) does a lot of road work where you are covering long distances the S18 would be a better choice, especially with fully automatic GPS.

Not to mention with a project like the ring road where there is large amounts of travel here and there to get to the different work locations on the same project you save time and money on not having to float it everywhere or spend half a day walking it in third gear ;)

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
The S18 was not built by Cat, neither was the D57T, both were built by Brent Engineering.

surfer-joe

A local contractor in North Dakota built some similiar rigs to the S-18 back in the late sixties based on TS-14 and TS-24 Euclid machines. They were crude and loud, and never did really catch on.

Last edited:

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
so where are these machines?
I kinda want to start them and play... I have a cat key wonder if they left the original ignition in them ??

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
!

The only twin engine scraper i have been on is a 27, and i dont think you get what im saying, next time you get on a twin engine, put the cushion hitch down and try dragging in 5th gear, and you will see what happens. You can even try it with the cushion hitch up, you will still get the same effect, the back motor always starts to hop and you cant keep a smooth haul road, thats what im asking here, does it do the same thing??? Yes $400 an hour is what they charge to the job for a 627, dont ask me i dont set the prices, a john deere pulling 3 pans is right around $275-$300 Thats why they like to use them, there hauling twice the amount of dirt for cheaper.

Not last long, im pretty good at what i do, thats why im already a dirt moving foremann at the age of 24. My last job we moved 1.3 million yards in 4 months and made the company 6 million, when they said they would be lucky to make a quarter of that.

Now dont get all high and mighty bud, Im 20 and im 4th generation i have had an under ground spread for 3years . Done lots of dirt work with 27's and 37's small beans compared to KIDCO AND SUREWAY.
I havent heard of a 27 for that much an hour before but if you get that for it and it stays busy who is the dummy then, someone running a spread of 30 machines for rock bottom prices trying to compete or the smaller outfit doing what it can with what its got for a great price, and taking it all to the bank

Now as for the machine's I think theyre spectacular, Imagine the engineering they went through to create those things to with stand the punnishment and hp. I think the blade is cool and functional, our clay is dense and greasy when it gets wet, why not invent sompthing to suit your needs.I just dont know why they didnt buy the ACCO grader instead!
The tracked scraper i want to se in action cause i bet it will heap it up realy good, it would shine in building canals or lagoons any thing that is tough to climb.

Kman9090

high and mighty. lol ok! And yes you have never seen that charged for a machine, but then again your how many miles away from here, there are no set prices on everything. Just out of curosity what is your guys pay scale for the guys on the scrapers???

Burnout

Occupation
high and mighty. lol ok! And yes you have never seen that charged for a machine, but then again your how many miles away from here, there are no set prices on everything. Just out of curosity what is your guys pay scale for the guys on the scrapers???

I've heard some companies paying in the low 20's with 30-32 for finish operators up here. How about down there?

Kman9090

Down here where im at now its not good $22 if you can run everything, and can finish, 12-18 for everything else, But job i came from was $30 an hour plus insurance, and pension plan, so really you were making around $55 an hour! Really if i wasnt working 70+ hours a week i wouldnt be here, but supposed to be going to indiana or kansas city next and both those jobs are union

Burnout

Occupation
Do you know what GPS they are running on that scraper Trimble, Topcon or something else???

The S18 uses a Leica GPS system on it. As for the pay.... around here you won't find too many experienced guys that are gonna work for 22 bucks an hour. As for that "so your making around 55 an hour"... that to me still says your not making 55 an hour.

Kman9090

Gotta do what you gotta do, id rather move 700 miles away from my house, and make alot less money, rather then sit on my arse and draw unemployment, plus i get to do what i love.

As for not $55 no ur right, its really $31 and some change, but if you add up not having to pay insurance, and also a pension its around that. Ive only been in the Union for 7 years and have over 100,000 in my pension. I will be able to retire by the age of 45, and draw $1400 a week.

Leica GPS??? Never heard of it, is that what you all mainly use up there? How fast are you able to run in the scraper and the GPS keep up???