1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Scraper Side Boards

Discussion in 'Scrapers' started by Contractor, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Contractor

Contractor Member

We have just placed sideboards on our Cat 21B’s to increase output. What will this 5-10% improvement in yardage going to cost me in maintenance? Any advice is helpful.

Attached Files:

2. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    You should weigh a loaded machine with and without the sideboards and see what the increased load is. A local contractor extended the sideboards on their TS-14's and the result was pretty dismal. They actually broke a rear spindle off of one machine. and tires were a big issue.

Contractor likes this.
  3. Bluox

Bluox Senior Member

Side boards on a 621 is called a 631.
    You may have to put that welder for the cracked hitch on steady .
    Good luck
    Bob

4. Contractor

Contractor Member

Bob: Rats. I was afraid of that. C

5. Contractor

Contractor Member

I saw Webber Construction do it and was hoping I could following suit.

6. StanRUS

StanRUS Senior Member

The 'bidding' as primary dirt contractors like Independent, Sukut in Calif use sideboards. Rental outfits (working for hourly pay) like Rentrak, Peed do not use sideboards.
    Hitch Cracking: Reconditioning Stop Pads prevents damage to cushion hitch components. When stop pad are worn off the load cylinder bottoms out (steel-to-steel contact) transferring shock loads into the hitch castings. 621B dimension A: from center of horizontal pin to top of hitch stop block = 10.05" // dimension B: from center of H-link pin to bottom of hitch bracket stop block = 3.24" // dimension C: from center of horizontal pin to center of H-link lower bore = 13.30"
    AND maintain correct ride height adjustment.
    621 operator pay versus 631, 651 around here the pay rate is the same.

7. Contractor

Contractor Member

StanRus thank you for your help. There are few books that teach the tricks of motor scrapers and better technique to improve production. I’ve found this forum invaluable as we continue to hone our craft. C

8. Bluox

Bluox Senior Member

Looks like you need water wings more than side boards.
    Get a stop watch and time loading with and without side boards. some times it takes too long to get that top load.
    If you have good tires ,keep the haul road up and the material isn't too heavy they may work.
    Keep cushion hitches charged and adjusted and tire pressure correct.
    Good luck
    Bob