• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Scrap metal info

DigDug

Is there some general chart somewhere that tells scrap steel levels/brackets?
Like #1 , #2 , also light steel , heavy , .
Also lengths etc to be cut to make #1 etc. Thanks for the help. doug

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
You can find a lot of information using Google. In my experience, what your local scrap yard calls something, and what they're paying for it, doesn't necessarily follow the printed "specifications" you might find online though.

I've looked a number of times and found some sites that can give you a pretty good idea of what the different grades are.

Here's one I just found today, in looking for an answer to your question: http://www.recycle.net/Metal-I/scrap/index.html

Just as a rule of thumb though, the thicker it is, and the shorter it is, the better the price.

Turbo21835

From someone who was running a shear prepping iron friday, and someone who has worked around the scrap industry for 3 years. Your not going to get top dollar for rebar, or plate. Usually heavy structural is going to be #1. To get #1 price, you will need to prepare the iron to 3ftx5ft, it is common practice to cut at 2ftx4ft. That way the scrap yard will not dock you for over sized material. Make sure you just have iron when you take it in, otherwise you will be docked for other materials.

I also recommend shopping scrap yards. When you find a good one, stick with them. A lot of yards will try and find ways to dock you on every load. Its pretty simple, they give you, lets say $300 a ton. They turn around and sell it for $350 a ton. The less they pay you, the more they make. Depending on the yard, your going to have different rates. Im going to assume you will not have enough iron to ship directly to a foundry. That is the top rate, usually only gotten by scrap yards, and demo companies doing large industrial projects. Most yards pay what they call a peddler rate. Which is what you will see posted at the yard. If your hauling in over a certain tonnage, usually 500 tons or more, you will make another $50 a ton.

The scrap market is booming right now. The company im working for right now is getting $420 a ton for #1 iron this month. Last year this time it was under $300 a ton. If your planning on getting equipment to process, I would recommend treading lightly. Ive watched the scrap market rates steadily increase for years now. I really think we are going to be topping out real soon. Followed by a crash in prices. Copper has gotten pretty volatile lately. Jumping more than .50 cents a pound monthly. The company Im working for has around 400k invested in a shear and excavator combination. Right now its easy to justify the expense. If iron goes back to $80 a ton, you will be lucky to cut enough to pay for your fuel every day

DigDug

Thank you much guys! Thats just the info i was looking for.
I am a small demo outfit and normally haul in 30yard dump trailer loads. I have a decent amount of stuff at our shop to get processed and hauled in this summer.
I wanted to make sure i seperate the heavy structual stuff from what my yard calls light iron. Thanks for your time. doug

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Thats very intresting Turbo. I was led to believe that the foundrys like rebar as they dont have to do anything to it, just melt it and start again :D where as other steels like rail track has too much or too little carbon ?
But maybe that was just the mill near us. :thumbsup

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I just brought 6 10' lenghts of rail to the scrap yard mixed with other heavy and light iron---at mine $ .10 a pound---$200 a ton--unbelievable.

Turbo21835

Thats very intresting Turbo. I was led to believe that the foundrys like rebar as they dont have to do anything to it, just melt it and start again :D where as other steels like rail track has too much or too little carbon ?
But maybe that was just the mill near us. :thumbsup

I know a lot of foundries around us dont like rebar, because it has no specs. Its basically the bottom of the barrel when it comes to iron. A lot of foundries that produce iron for sheet iron will take rebar.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I know a lot of foundries around us dont like rebar, because it has no specs. Its basically the bottom of the barrel when it comes to iron. A lot of foundries that produce iron for sheet iron will take rebar.

That's consistent with what I've been told at the scrap yards--rebar is made out of low quality steel.