• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

SCORE! EZ Screen 1000

atgreene

Looks like I just scored an EZ-Screen 1000.:cool: I've been eyeing this machine for 6 years or so. The guy who has it "blew" the motor 5-6 years ago. I kept asking him about buying it, price kept getting lower. Today he agreed to sell it for less than I could buy a grizzly for, so I'm happy.

Needs a starter for the motor. The Yanmar 10 hp diesel has compression, my mechanic says there is no reason why it shouldn't run other than some minor issues he sees.

Needs the lower piano screen. The one has rusted so bad the wires let go.

Needs one shaker spring.

BTW, meter reads 383 hours.:D

What's everyones experience with EZ Screen? Any common problems?
This is an older version, had a trailer originally. My welder is already working up an axle and hitch, should be fairly simple.

Emailed EZ Screen, all the parts are available, I'll order up what I need tomorrow.

Anybody seen what these are going for on the open market?

I'll get pics soon.

Last edited:

atgreene

Here's a few pics.

I cleaned it up yesterday, good compression on the motor, changed the oil, un-bolted the screens.

Waiting on a starter, deck spring and a piano wire screen.

Just curious, I've always run piano wire for loam, how does the mesh screens work? Most of my loam is dry, I may get into some wet stuff later, but am curious.

Attachments

• 2-5-09 053.jpg
    2-5-09 053.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,685
  • 2-5-09 054.jpg
    2-5-09 054.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 2,739
  • P1020579.jpg
    P1020579.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2,679

atgreene

Got it running Fri. Started real hard. Took lots of cranking but it went. Ran it again Sat. and again, hard starting. Guessing low compression, smokes when running, had no air filter in the filter holder when I got it. I suspect former owner ran it w/o and air filter.

Working on engine options now, the Yanmar seems to be complcated, expensive and hard to find someone to work on. May get a Honda or a cheap china diesel.

Pics to follow.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Just curious, I've always run piano wire for loam, how does the mesh screens work? Most of my loam is dry, I may get into some wet stuff later, but am curious.

Agtreene, we screen hundreds of tonnes of loam every year, through a 6mm mesh screen, but, we do it through the summer months when it is hot and dry. It is OK if the loam is slightly damp, but if it gets a bit wetter, it will blank the screen off and slide over the top. The screen produces a slightly better product than the piano wire, but if the loam is fairly damp, the piano wire is still the way to go, unless you intend using a larger screen, like 15 or 20mm. (1/2" - 3/4" very approximately).

Rn'R.

atgreene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf542xQpgOI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okjDTgUitX4

I ordered a new motor on Ebay, Yanmar clone from china.

Ordered it Wed. am, had it on my doorstep Fri pm. Runs sweet. Changed the oil after 1/2 hour of idling and had some metal stuff on the screen and in oil. Kind of expected it, quality control in China is lacking, but everything seems fine. I'll do a few more oil changes.

So far I've done about 8 hours or so with it. Does a good job as long as the material isn't too wet. I'm going to see about a mesh screen to try instead of the piano wire.

So far so good.

ctkiteboarding

love my 1000, picked it up about 5 yrs agao from guy getting out ,,solid little machine but it doesnt like wet so keep it covered and dry and make the $$$$$$

DigDug

I have had good luck screening using all the different size models. The Oliver stores sold them for a while or maybe still do. I have never seen any of the diesels last for any amount of time on the 1000's. My good friend has a 13hp Honda on his with no probs. Good Luck with it , sounds like you got a good deal. doug

atgreene

It is working good, if and when it ever stops raining I'll screen some more. At this point I've got about 10 hours on it.

The piano wire 1/2" screen is clogging with roots, so my next move is to try a different type screen. The roots hang over the piano wire and bunch-up at the crossmembers. I've seen some screens made from expanded metal, so I may try that, just not sure on hole size.

ctkiteboarding

It is working good, if and when it ever stops raining I'll screen some more. At this point I've got about 10 hours on it.

The piano wire 1/2" screen is clogging with roots, so my next move is to try a different type screen. The roots hang over the piano wire and bunch-up at the crossmembers. I've seen some screens made from expanded metal, so I may try that, just not sure on hole size.

i used there square metal screen on the top and the 1/2 piano on the bottom the cross member really needs to be abit higher it clogs often if wet or you force feed it, i think the later ones do not have that problem, im in need of a new lower screen and would like to try something other then the wire but not sure what

DigDug

We have taken a garden rake once in a while to pull the roots from the cross members when it starts building up.

TimberGhost

Occupation
Public Works equipment operator (small time)
I've been trying to get the EZ screen 1200XL at work for ever. I've seen videos and got all kinds of literature about it and I am truly impressed. It's the one with the extra conveyor belt for a 3rd product. WISH LIST!!!!!!!

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
On the EZ Screen 1000 did it come with a parts book?
Do you know if there is an electronic parts book on the web somewhere and if yes what is the web address for the site?

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
On a side note, that is a nice mesh box on your trailer. I have been wanting to make one of those for myself. Got any better pics and what your thought process was? Maybe start another thread unless I missed it.

atgreene

Lake side Bob, sorry I didn't see your post before now. EZ Screen is still in business, if you call them they're real good about talking you through any issues. I've ordered a few parts and they know exactly what I needed. The electrical parts are pretty straight-forward. I've removed them all now and have a manual throttle instead of the electric, but the components for the electric shut down and throttle are fairly easy to trace out. They all look like off the shelf components from Napa.

The mesh boxes are set-up to hold chains and tools, crow bars etc.... The chains hook up top as well as binders etc.. Keeps them organized. I ran two pieces of steel into the fork holder then built off those. One 3/8 bolt hold the rack against the trailer, all the weight is on the fork holder. I can find some more pics.

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
A couple more pics would be great. My skid trailer has fork pockets on each side (I have a set of forks for one). I think I can visualize what you did but a couple shots would be great.

atgreene

I didn't get your pics yet, sorry.

As to the E-Z, lost the main bearings the other day. Looks like the main shaft has been rubbing on the crosspipe as the last owner beat down the top deck so bad that the cross tube and the screen supports are bowed down a couple inches.

2 bearings= $150.00 each
New top screen= $400.00
The joy of working all day to get one bearing off.......priceless!:Banghead

Ordered a new clutch, as that has some serious wear in the bearings. New top screen, new steel to replace the screen supports, pipe to replace the bent tube, new battery, new motor last year. This thing will be like new when I get done.:rolleyes: I've run it 40 hours in the past year. Not a good cost to profit ratio thus far.