• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

School Me on JCB

Mudpile

Occupation
retired salesman
My 2001 no swing tower busshings for tower pins or the swing cylender pins. New pins not help much. Holes were eeg shaped and tower made of ducktile iron. New 214 at dealer had swing cylender rod busshings in the swing tower but still no bushings for the main swing pins. Tough mashine but line bore is $. Mudpile.

Ross

Pretty decent the JCB's ..

Typical HEF "If it aint USA its junk thread"

Well there so junky CAT virtually copied the 3CX for there 428 then even bought Perkins thats powering the two.

I'de go for the best dealer network in your area. beware of the Jake cross over hydraulic controls .. Still gets me confused.

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
I am a newby to backhoes, but I would offer this. I have spoken with others that says the older Case models are better than the newer ones.
One fellow bought a new Case in 2010 and still has it, but he liked his older Case BETTER. He puts in septic tank (30 years now) and he says the new one just seems weak digging a hole.
I think he paid 49K for the new one.
Mine is a 1985 580 Super E and I am spending a good deal of $ rebuilding cylinders etc, but it's still a pretty good machine.
I do not know the model numbers for when Case changed.

JCBiron

Engine is the same, just a bump in HP....hydraulic pumps are different. The 215 has a bit larger displacement pump than the 214 for more GPM.

Extractorfan

Occupation
operator earthmoving machines
Hi optionzone, as Leon Phelps points out, make sure a plentiful supply of parts is available as the machine will be no good parked for weeks awaiting parts. here in the UK we can obtain parts from none OEM sources, reason being there are so many JCB backhoes around. My advice would be see which of your US built backhoes are most plentiful then check out the parts availability.
Good luck, Ex tractor fan.