• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Scheduling issues

Dickjr.

Evidently either I'm working to cheap or the economy has picked up somewhat , but this year I have been a busy as ever. My problem is while working on a job I have other jobs lined up but either it takes longer to finish the current job or they add extra work on while I'm there. One job , the guy told me he wanted 2 weeks work done , I was there 6 weeks total , he paid me it all went well , but I had another guy get pissed , called me a liar said his money was as good as the other guys etc. To me it makes no sense to move the equipment around just to secure a job , I like to finish where I'm at and move on to the next job, finish and get paid. Between rain and the addition of work I'm in the same situation now , supposed to be somewhere last week , but on the current job I still have another week at least. If they hire someone else , that's fine , but this busier schedule is eating at me a little. At one time I ran 7 days a week , missed my first two kids growing up from ages 3 to 9, so now I try to work 50 hours a week and take my weekends. When I worked 7 days , I made no more money than I do now. I'm not going to expand , been there it did not work , cost instead of making. I'm kind of a one man show , that's why it takes longer at times to finish these jobs. I guess the best thing is to go one day at a time and not sweat the crap , but its bothersome to say the least.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Evidently either I'm working to cheap or the economy has picked up somewhat , but this year I have been a busy as ever.

It may be both and it's the same for me. Over the last couple of years, I have stayed busy with small commercial sites that usually last from 1-3 months but had down time between jobs starting which allowed us to maintain and repair equipment.

This year is different, the phone is ringing constantly. Currently waiting on an access permit from the DOT for a chain auto parts store. Usually we would have been at the shop finding something to do. However the slack time has been full of small jobs that have been quite profitable.

What I see now is something I have been telling my friends in the business what will happen. There aren't as many grading contractors left in the market and it won't take a big bump in the economy for all of us to be busy - supply and demand. Demand doesn't have to increase much if the supply is low, in order to give a market a bump.

I think it's a perfect opportunity to make $$ before the yahoo's sitting on the sideline see the demand and flood the market again. Just my thoughts.

Turned down several commercial projects sent my way because they were too far away, I am busy close to home and there is no need in traveling at the moment.

Moonlite

Scheduling is tuff. I have learned with certain customers just figure taking longer cause they will always have more to do than called me for.. As for the rest when i am running behind i call and explain i got tied up on a job and give them a time i will be there. Most are understanding a few arent. I just tell the. Few to call someone else if they cant wait. They usually end up waiting for me .

grandpa

Scheduling is a balancing act to say the least. I'm always upfront with my clients about my schedule. I've found being upfront is the best. Same as CM1995 stated were on the upswing. We are the survivors of a drastic downturn in the economy. Most important is to make money. If you want to grow now is the time if you don't want now is the time to feather that nest egg.

This is the first year in over a decade I have managed to schedule jobs to my liking such as being able to haul materials both ways.

This is the first time EVER I have sold the same sand twice :D A pipeline company needed to hydro test their line. They needed sand to bed their water tank on (1400 ton) . I delivered the sand in May. In July they hauled the sand back to my pit on completion of their test. In August I sold that same sand for fill on new construction.

I'm thankful for the increase in business and the profitability that goes with it.

Dickjr.

Grandpa , I like the idea of adding to the nest egg , that's my thoughts exactly , I just don't like the confrontation people give when your tied up on a job. I'm surely happy to be thought of enough that people want to hire me. I'm like you as well , I made it this far with the economic down turn , so I guess I am not geared for this rush. I too am thankful for the increase as well. This is the first year I have paid off my cc. My balance was never that bad but it was a balance. I have a hard time letting things go , but it is what it is.

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
im constantly moving my equipment around because with the longer projects im not using my machine every single day so i use the one or 2 days to catch up on the smaller jobs ive had days where i have done 4 4 hr minimums in a day while working on a development and waiting for the next stage of the project to begin for me to work

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
When I am in the office, I get to see all of the scheduling circus. You do have to balance between " i'll get to it in two weeks" to "be there tomorrow." It is real interesting sometimes. I have two local field dispatchers, several not local, and 15 salesman. Then we have the customer calling direct as well. It is always controlled chaos! Hang in there. Work will always be there later. Family is with you for a very short time, enjoy them.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Evidently either I'm working to cheap or the economy has picked up somewhat , but this year I have been a busy as ever. My problem is while working on a job I have other jobs lined up but either it takes longer to finish the current job or they add extra work on while I'm there. One job , the guy told me he wanted 2 weeks work done , I was there 6 weeks total , he paid me it all went well , but I had another guy get pissed , called me a liar said his money was as good as the other guys etc. To me it makes no sense to move the equipment around just to secure a job , I like to finish where I'm at and move on to the next job, finish and get paid. Between rain and the addition of work I'm in the same situation now , supposed to be somewhere last week , but on the current job I still have another week at least. If they hire someone else , that's fine , but this busier schedule is eating at me a little. At one time I ran 7 days a week , missed my first two kids growing up from ages 3 to 9, so now I try to work 50 hours a week and take my weekends. When I worked 7 days , I made no more money than I do now. I'm not going to expand , been there it did not work , cost instead of making. I'm kind of a one man show , that's why it takes longer at times to finish these jobs. I guess the best thing is to go one day at a time and not sweat the crap , but its bothersome to say the least.

As a site supt. for a general contractor and being at the other end of the scheduling conflict, and needing subs at a certain time to maintain my overall schedule, I feel your pain. Every project is fast track now days, whether ten thousand or nine hundred million, everyone wants it done tomorrow. We try to schedule subs as accurately and as far ahead as possible, but designers are also busy and behind the 8 ball everywhere, and when we need answers and do not always get them. It sure throws a wrench in the works when that happens. Constant communication keeping the subs updated is key to keep all subs in the loop. I guess we should all be grateful we got this problem and not the problem of "Where CAN I go next"?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Being more on the other side of this than you guys, I would say as others have said comunicate and be honest. If you have a flat tire on your trailer heading to a job call the tire man then call the customer. Most sensible people will understand that things happen and will cut you some slack. Those that don't are not the people you want to be working for as they will give you grief every chance they can.

Where I work overtime was a dirty word the first part of the year, now most guys have been working 5 10's and this last weekend they started working some on Saturday as upper management found out we did not have enough product on the ground to supply the major jobs not to mention the small towns and one man contractors that come in for stone.

td25c

Seems like this time of year wherever we are working we supposed to somewhere else . Usually one to two weeks behind . But it's always that way seems like . Been blessed with some pretty good customers over the years that understand scheduling issues as some jobs are more time sensitive than others . To be honest at times I run it somewhat like a hospital Triage . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triage

Unladed equipment this Friday evening at a job we were supposed to start Monday . Good old cell phone rings while I'm talking to the customer going over what we will do Monday morning . Customer on the phone needs welding rig on Monday to make repairs . Customer pretty much hears everything during the phone call ...... Looks at me & says .... Sounds like I'll see you on Tuesday .:) LOL