• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Scat Trak drains batteries while running

LBZ_Tom

I have an old scat trak that we use in the winter to push snow and the lights will randomly start to dim and it will slowly lose battery, it could happen after 11 hours or it could happen after 5. New alternator has been installed after the first "episode" and that did not make a difference. We always shut it off and install new freshly charged batteries. This has been happening for a while now and I am wondering where to begin on fixing this. Thank you in advance
Tom

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I'd install one of the cheapie volt meters on it somewhere easy to see :) either you have another bad alternator or some kind of wiring short... bad connection for the charging system... etc...
I have put these little guys on quite a few things we use... simple to install both mechanically and electrically and they run anywhere from 5-15 bux depending on where you find em'
rvoltmeter.jpg

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
If you want to go even cheaper I have bought this kind direct from china for about 1.80-2.25 each delivered... I forget if they come in other colors but I just got the red led's the main difference if these are a lot longer I think 2.5 inches deep whereas the others are less than an inch. I find them very handy for anywhere you may have 8-30 volts DC that you want to keep an eye on. I think it's a 7/8ths hole for these and a 1-1/8th for the first ones...
smrmeter.jpg

LBZ_Tom

If you want to go even cheaper I have bought this kind direct from china for about 1.80-2.25 each delivered... I forget if they come in other colors but I just got the red led's the main difference if these are a lot longer I think 2.5 inches deep whereas the others are less than an inch. I find them very handy for anywhere you may have 8-30 volts DC that you want to keep an eye on. I think it's a 7/8ths hole for these and a 1-1/8th for the first ones...
View attachment 205077
Im definitely going to try that thank you, hopefully that can point me in a better direction

skata

Lights dim? Sounds like a possible loose connection and then the alternator stops putting power out. Then you are running on batteries.