1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Sam's Club R&O Hydraulic Oil AW 46

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Lee Lee Pedigo, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Lee Lee Pedigo

Lee Lee Pedigo Member

Hi,
    I maintain a number of Bobcat loaders and excavators. I've always used the Sam's Club R&O Hydraulic Oil and was wondering if anyone has had experience with it? Seems like good fluid and I've never had a problem, but I've also heard a number of people who feel anything but the OEM fluid is sub-par. Obviously, the viscosity has to be correct. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Find out who makes the oil for Sam's Club. It could give you piece of mind if it's a known reputable supplier. I use Walmart tractor fluid for hyd. oil in my Cat loader but use a name brand in the skid steer with hydrostatic transmission.

Lee Lee Pedigo likes this.
  3. treemuncher

treemuncher Senior Member

eatin' trees, poopin' chips
    As my cousin, the petroleum engineer, explained to me, anything that passes the certification tests is quality oil stock. Certifications are not given lightly. As long as it meets or exceeds manufacturers requirements, it should be good to go. Lots of people pay big money for fancy names that do no more than a basic named product. Sort of like my Rural King $9.99 jeans compared to whatever they get out of Levis or Wranglers.

4. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Reputable sellers will have oil that meets the specs. listed on the container. Have heard of unscrupulous sellers putting something like "comparable to (Cat, etc.) specs." Don't buy that oil, buy oil that says "meets Cat, etc. specs." I get a 5 gallon pail of the Walmart tractor fluid for $50cad. Name brands start at about $75/pail. I used name brand oil in the skid steer because I replaced a hyd. drive motor. General hyd. duty I'll use the Walmart oil.

5. JLarson

JLarson Senior Member

Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
    We'll run any legit AW fluid and often have to on day to day calls, these days our suppliers might have a different brand each week anyway.

Only thing we'll use that 303/tractor stuff on is old stuff that leaks like a pasta strainer and we have to put tons in just to limp it somewhere.

Lee Lee Pedigo, DB2 and skata like this.
  6. catman13

catman13 Senior Member

refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
    in my CAT track hoe and skid steer i run cat oil , i figure it is cheaper than new pumps and it may cost few bucks more but in the end going cheap usely costs more in the end

Lee Lee Pedigo likes this.
  7. Nige

Nige Senior Member

It's been commented on HEF various times that frequently dealers have offers on fluids and filters that have them priced at the same level as aftermarket.
    Apart from OEM the next best alternative is oil from a major oil company brand like Mobil or Shell.

8. Lee Lee Pedigo

Lee Lee Pedigo Member

Good point, Nige.

9. Lee Lee Pedigo

Lee Lee Pedigo Member

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Tinkerer likes this.