1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Salt Water Chevy oil specifications

Discussion in 'Lubrication' started by Truck Shop, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    I post this because of questions about multi-grade in a 2 stroke.

241370128_4354429411283130_8431688842021866039_n.jpg 241183480_4354428811283190_8423282916175635564_n.jpg

DB2 likes this.
  2. Bluox

Bluox Senior Member

What's the date on that book?
    The reason I ask is DD has been back and forth on 15-40 for years.
    I have a couple of customers that have used it for years with no ill effects.
    Bob

Truck Shop likes this.
  3. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
    That’s cool. I remember sitting at a round table at the 1991 Vehicle Maintenance Management Conference at the University of Washington when Detroit made the announcement that 15w-40 was GTG. Lol.

Side note: It’s particularly difficult to even find a CF-2 40wt today. Especially with the supply chain issues in the lube biz.

Truck Shop likes this.
  4. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Manual date 2002. Which in my book is close enough I seriously doubt that specification has changed. Detroit knows 30 and 40 is hard to come by.

5. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    My 1997 Detroit lube manual says that 15W-40 is only to be used if needed to be able to start engine and that you should replace with the straight SAE40 as soon as ambient conditions permit. It goes on to say that you should not use multigrade or SAE30 in two-cycle marine engines under any circumstances. Same for Series 149 engines.

6. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Well we have a conflict -lets flip a coin :). It's only a two stroke so not much loss.:)

7. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

The most current update on 2-stroke lubrications is from 2007- DDC Publication 7SE270 0102, “Lubricating Oils, Filters, and Fuels”.

8. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

9. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Damn you ruined all the fun, hell I was hoping this would turn into a thread like what's the best oil for my motorcycle!:) Besides it's
    always fun to see a two stroke blubbering oil.

But what's good about this is it shows the problems with factory manuals. But you will notice what I posted is for on highway/vehicle not tug boats
    and locomotives.:p

Coaldust likes this.
  10. Bluox

Bluox Senior Member

If you want a eye opener look at the oil change intervals on the next page in section 13.3.
    Bob

Coaldust and Truck Shop like this.
  11. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    What I like is Coaldust page figure 2,2- #2 LMOA-Locomotive Maintenance Officers' Association-I thought that was suppose to be-
    LMAO-laughing my a$$ off.:oops:

12. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Reason I had that document handy is for when a customer calls and wants to know what oil to purchase. It’s a nice CYA. Chevron Delo 100 40wt is one of the few products available.

Truck Shop likes this.
  13. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

That is pretty funny.