• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Salt Water Chevy oil specifications

Bluox

What's the date on that book?
The reason I ask is DD has been back and forth on 15-40 for years.
I have a couple of customers that have used it for years with no ill effects.
Bob

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
That’s cool. I remember sitting at a round table at the 1991 Vehicle Maintenance Management Conference at the University of Washington when Detroit made the announcement that 15w-40 was GTG. Lol.

Side note: It’s particularly difficult to even find a CF-2 40wt today. Especially with the supply chain issues in the lube biz.

Truck Shop

Manual date 2002. Which in my book is close enough I seriously doubt that specification has changed. Detroit knows 30 and 40 is hard to come by.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Manual date 2002. Which in my book is close enough I seriously doubt that specification has changed. Detroit knows 30 and 40 is hard to come by.

My 1997 Detroit lube manual says that 15W-40 is only to be used if needed to be able to start engine and that you should replace with the straight SAE40 as soon as ambient conditions permit. It goes on to say that you should not use multigrade or SAE30 in two-cycle marine engines under any circumstances. Same for Series 149 engines.

Truck Shop

Well we have a conflict -lets flip a coin :). It's only a two stroke so not much loss.:)

Coaldust

Occupation
The most current update on 2-stroke lubrications is from 2007- DDC Publication 7SE270 0102, “Lubricating Oils, Filters, and Fuels”.

Truck Shop

Damn you ruined all the fun, hell I was hoping this would turn into a thread like what's the best oil for my motorcycle!:) Besides it's
always fun to see a two stroke blubbering oil.

But what's good about this is it shows the problems with factory manuals. But you will notice what I posted is for on highway/vehicle not tug boats
and locomotives.:p

Truck Shop

What I like is Coaldust page figure 2,2- #2 LMOA-Locomotive Maintenance Officers' Association-I thought that was suppose to be-
LMAO-laughing my a$$ off.:oops:

Coaldust

Occupation
Reason I had that document handy is for when a customer calls and wants to know what oil to purchase. It’s a nice CYA. Chevron Delo 100 40wt is one of the few products available.