• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

sage brush puller

Natman

I already have one, my mid sized Kubota L3301. A cable with a slip hook pulls them out just fine. BUT, for each and every sage, I have to jump off the tractor, rig the cable, pull, then jump off again and unrig it. I did just that for about 3 hours today, then I remembered I also have a U25 S mini X, bought about a year ago so still kind of new to me.

The functions and capabilities of both outfits often mesh, and I'm not complaining that usually my biggest problem is which one to use for a certain task, as there is no question that the job WILL get done. But now I have the thought, of staying seated in the mini, while rolling up to a group of brushes, and commencing to rip out all within reach, (about 25-30' dia.) and then rolling onto the next bunch. Before I reinvent the wheel, and dream up a one off design....has this been done before, and is there maybe even an off the shelf attachment that would do the job?

I don't want to dig them up using a digging bucket, I don't want to disturb the ground that much, based on my previous experience pulling them with the tractor, I think the forces involved in pulling them straight out would be well within the capabilities of the mini. I envision:1. opening up a clamshell type thing. 2.then closing the jaws, as low down to the ground level as possible. 3. then curling while pulling up. I currently have a stock Kubota thumb, and along with 2 digging buckets, a 36" cleanout bucket. I need, I suppose (I just thought of this entire scheme less then an hour ago) to maybe make another thumb that would close on the cleanout bucket in such a way that the brush would be gripped tight enough not slip while pulling it out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

hvy 1ton

Maybe I'm missing something, but as long as your thumb bypasses the teeth on your digging bucket(s) that should work great.

Natman

Or, maybe I'M missing something! But the prongs, or whatever they are called, spaced apart like they are on the thumb, would just let the sage brush slip through? It'd be like trying to eat with chopsticks. The tree puller clearly clamps down tight on whatever is in it's jaws, while still being pretty simple mechanically, just one moving part. My plan now is to go out pulling brush while towing my 12' dump bed trailer behind the tractor, then burning it up on my graveled lot. Burning it in the field isn't good, it kills any grass then weeds move in so trying to avoid that. The mini will be my backup for any sage brush too big for the tractor to handle.

Tags

You could weld a plate against the tines of the thumb to make it "closed" then weld a temporary plate across the teeth of your bucket, so you are essentially making your own clamp....now get to work!! :D

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
On small clearing operations I use a 4 tine thumb (HPF) on a 13K mini ex and the thumb claps tight and the sage doesn't slip through. However for jobs of size it is much faster using a grapple bucket with tines on the bottom on a CTL/SSL. Especially this time of year before the ground gets hard.

Natman

I have a 2 tine thumb, and really didn't want to weld on it, but if I didn't have a tractor I for sure would have done so. The tractor will be a bit quicker transporting also. Yes, the ground is nice and soft right now, I still have snow in places, prime pulling season.

I also have a bit less then 1/4 mile of steel and wood fence posts to pull, as part of another project, and the attachment i have coming will work dandy on those also.

jbernielh

a few years back I mocked up a puller for this type of requirement. 3 prong thumb.. took a 6X6 and chainsaw.. cut grooves in the 6X6 where the prongs would fit into and then I don't remember what exactly I used to secure the 6X6 to the prongs but the 6X stuck to the prongs quite well.. then with the 36 inch cleanup bucket with the sharp blade on it would make good contact on the 6X6... clamp the brush really well.. don't have pictures and never really went past proof of concept but I did use it all day and pulled a lot of broom.. this was on my cat 304

Natman

I'm halfway disappointed I didn't get to make my own, but when I saw this already made and all figured out (it looks hell for stout) one, and that it was in stock, I took the easy way out and just clicked "BUY!" It's already shipped. Previous dealings with Titan Attachments for other tractor implements have been great also, good product, fair price, and quick service, that also tilted me from making it into a project.