• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Safety videos

neutron

Dose anyone know were i can get the Shake Hands with Danger video it was put out by cat in the 70s i think and i was told it was a good one

Grader4me

First, welcome to the forum! The video you are asking about sounds very familar as I am sure that I have seen it years ago. Was that video about the safe operation of a backhoe? or am I way off base here.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
It's the classic 1960's safety film/video from Caterpillar. There are actually two, or maybe even three versions.
The original is 1960's, because I remember seeing it in 1969. I have seen a 1975 version, which is different to the original, and I think there's a 1980 version.

Google it, and you'll find copies on Youtube, other free video sites .. and sites selling copies. I'm sure I've even seen it for sale on eBay, but there's no copy on eBay at present.

Full of cheesy acting and laughable stunts .. but the message still comes through, loud and clear. I recall, we rolled in the aisles with laughter, at the transparency of the stunts, when we viewed the original (film) in 1969, when I was in the Military .. but we got the message, and never forgot it .. :D

Look for the huge paper-mache rock, that falls out of the loader bucket, over the dump truck side, and lands on the trcuk driver standing by the truck.
It was so huge .. if it was real, it would have squashed him like an ant .. but it's so obvious, that it weighs nothing .. and bounces off him like a beach ball .. :D

"Shake Hands with Danger" .. http://www.google.com/search?q="sha...ox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7SUNA

If you have trouble finding a copy for sale, ask your local Cat dealer if they still sell copies.

Last edited:

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
Hi all,

New English member Nick Drew here, thanks for the wonderful site,:notworthy very interesting stuff on here!!

Re "Shake Hands with Danger" video I think you can download a copy of it from an excellent German machine site that I am also a member of,
www.bauforum24.biz

Why not pay the site a visit and check it out in the downloads.

Regards

Nick:thumbsup

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Uh, I may be showing my age here, but if it came out in the 60s it wasn't a video. It was probably on an archaic medium known as "16mm film". That in itself was a safety hazard, since you had to turn out the lights in the room in order to watch it...

:D

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
Oh Well,

Whatever format it was in it is available to registered members of the site from the baumachien video section.:beatsme

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Welcome to the site, Nick. :)

Is the version there in English, oder auf Deutsch?

(And should you be tempted to reply auf Deutsch, be assured that while I was able to pull those three words out of memory, my last class in German was almost as long ago as the original video, or movie, in question. My visit to that site confirms how little of it I actually remember...)

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
Welcome to the site, Nick. :)

Is the version there in English, oder auf Deutsch?

(And should you be tempted to reply auf Deutsch, be assured that while I was able to pull those three words out of memory, my last class in German was almost as long ago as the original video, or movie, in question. My visit to that site confirms how little of it I actually remember...)

Hi Digger,

If you do a google search I think you can translate it that way, but I don't recall being able to register that way, It can be a bit of a nightmare but the more you navigate around the site the better your understanding of German gets, Hey I don't speak any German and I'm English but I still managed it !!!:Banghead

I sent a PM to the site owner Andre and he Helped me a lot, Smart Ass Germans speak good English:D

Wulf

"Roll of Drums"

Anyone recall the Cat safety film Roll of Drums?

That was pretty hard hiting in the late seventies... so much so that I still remember the spring brake chamber rod shooting through the back window of the truck when the mechanic was disassembling it, the guy falling off the 235 boom, apron coming down on the guy when he was changing scraper cutting edges. 225 rolling down the hill out of control when it was pulled with the final drives disconnected etc. etc...

I'd love a WMV or MPEG of that.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Anyone recall the Cat safety film Roll of Drums?

That was pretty hard hiting in the late seventies... so much so that I still remember the spring brake chamber rod shooting through the back window of the truck when the mechanic was disassembling it, the guy falling off the 235 boom, apron coming down on the guy when he was changing scraper cutting edges. 225 rolling down the hill out of control when it was pulled with the final drives disconnected etc. etc...

I'd love a WMV or MPEG of that.

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2681357

Google is your friend

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
wulf & digger242j - Sorry, I'm showing my age here, and the confusion that goes with it .. :Banghead ..

"Roll of Drums" was the original FILM .. that I watched, in 1969 .. and I confused it with the later version, "Shake Hands with Danger".
I have "Shake Hands with Danger" on video here, sent to me by a U.S. buddy, but I don't recall if it's a commercial version or a copy.
Haven't seen "Roll of Drums" since 1969, but it's worth watching for the still-applicable safety message .. and worth a chuckle for the hammy acting .. and the spectacular stunts .. :D

tylermckee

Shake Hands with Danger is on youtube, just search for it. Its broken up into 3 segments. I like when they are changing buckets on a loader and the guy gets his hand cut off:cool:

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
We seen both movies here for a saftey training day,I spent more time laughing at the bad acting than the serious saftey points they brought up.One classic moment if I remember right was when they were removing the tracks I think and the machine ended up running away into the forman's pick up.

Anyone see Cat's training video for payloaders? still laugh at the guy running the machine in shiney cowboy boots I wonder if they were steel toe? ;)

neutron

Thank you all for the help i was just tying to look for one on tape i am going to school to run heavy equipment in PA and my instructor was telling us that we should see it.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..

jimmyjack

watched the videos on youtube, kinda funny. but its good to be remember three finger joe says take it slow :lmao