• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Safety Manual

Grader4me

I am developing a Safety Manual for a small construction company. I'm creating all my documents and charts etc. on Microsoft Word. Printing these off and making a manual is no problem, but what I want to do is merge all the documents so it's an "on line manual"
I can do wonders with power point but I'm out of my league when it comes to doing this. Anyone know what I would need for software and some tips on how to do this?

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Having just recently done this I would recommend creating it as a pdf (Adobe Acrobat) and then get a geek or your host to install it...although uploading aint hard, you just need to make sure it links up Ok.

The other way to do it is just as a web page(s). I do this with a free WYSIWYG editor. If you can do MS word then you can drive WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get). Making web pages this way is dead easy. I can't even remeber the name of the program I use. Google Search

If you want to know how to create a pdf file just download Open Office Write (a free version of MS Office Word) and it has a simple export to Pdf function. You can't edit a pdf file unless you pay like $500 for a pdf editor. But you can create them in word and convert to a pdf with Open Office.

Open Office

Another thing you can do is, if your host is a reasonable type, have them install a simple document editor so you can logon to your website and create new content online without having to speak geek. I have found this easiest way of adding new pics and content. I have only crashed my website twice so far:eek::(...but you just roll back the changes when you twiddle with the wrong thing:cool:

Last edited:

Wolfcsm

What version of OFFICE / WORD are you using? In the 2007 version WORD is the WEB PAGE editor. It will save documents in an HTML version. Are you trying to make several smaller documents for posting or one big document with the entire document? I have seen documents broken up by chapter, where each is downloadable / viewable.

Kind of depends on what you are trying to do.

Hal

Grader4me

What version of OFFICE / WORD are you using? In the 2007 version WORD is the WEB PAGE editor. It will save documents in an HTML version. Are you trying to make several smaller documents for posting or one big document with the entire document? I have seen documents broken up by chapter, where each is downloadable / viewable.

Kind of depends on what you are trying to do.

Hal

I'm using word 07. I'm filing all my documents in separate folders, for example Chapter 1, 2, 3 ....I have these saved in "my documents"
When I'm finished I would like to merge all of these documents together to create my manual. When I go to print, I can print off my whole manual.

Wolfcsm

I'm using word 07. I'm filing all my documents in separate folders, for example Chapter 1, 2, 3 ....I have these saved in "my documents"
When I'm finished I would like to merge all of these documents together to create my manual. When I go to print, I can print off my whole manual.

That should be no porblem at all. Once you have all the parts like you want them, I would save the first part, using "SAVE AS", with a name like manual complete ( you can always change it later). Then I would COPY each new part and PASTE it to the bottom of the new document until you have all of the parts in the document. Do a SAVE after each new part is added. Then I would print what you have and check it. Make sure it has all the parts in the right order. Look at where you need to force PAGE BREAKS between chapters for instance. SAVE often!

Once everything is correct and in the proper order, you can make the final save. I would change the name to add the date into the file name - or a revision number, whichever is better for you, but it allows you to easily keep track of when tha latest version is. SAVE.

Then if you want a web version of the document, you can perform a SAVE AS and save it as a web page or as a .xml document, whichever works for you.

Hal