• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Safety Glasses??

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Anyone else have a harder time cutting grade with them on? I think it messes with my depth perception. The job I'm on now it's mandatory that we have to have them on at ALL times. It killing me I finely talked the super in to letting me flip them up on my head while I cutting fine grade, but the safety guy isn't happy about it. I can generally cut grade (currently footings) without any to little help, but with them on from dead on to 0.25' low. :eek: :cussing :cussing :guns It looked dead on with them on, but when I took them off I could see I was sloping down clear as day. What about anyone else?

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
What kind of safety glasses are they? Are they the really ugly looking glasses you'd find in a woodshop or a welding shop? I wear sunglasses every day during the summer, the sun just cooks your eyes without them and the sunglasses I buy are ANSI and OSHA approved. They look good and protect my eyes from debris and the sun. The lenses aren't any thicker than normal sunglasses nor do they distort from what I can tell.

Wulf

Never operate heavy machinery with this type of ugly eye wear as you probably couldn't even see the end of the stick...

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,857

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Wulf said:
Never operate heavy machinery with this type of ugly eye wear as you probably couldn't even see the end of the stick...

Those are same as the glasses issued by the US Navy...they call em BC's...Which stands for "Birth Controls"......thats on account of if you are wearing them your never gonna get...........:wink2 :bouncegri

Grader4me

Wulf said:

lol, I am sure "Bubbles" would be very proud to know that his picture is on the HEF

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I have tried several pairs even my shooting glasses do the same thing. I have never worn any kind of glasses while working unless it is very dusty and then I'm generally not doing any fine work. The safety guy left me alone today, so I will continue to ware them on top of my head while cutting grade.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
I have had the same problem as Dozerboy but I found a solution. I remembered the days I used to race off road we would wear goggles with yellow lenses because they seemed to highlight surface irregularities, even in the dust. One day I found a set of safety glasses that looked just like sunglasses and had the same yellow type lenses. They are awsome for finish grading and even work well when trenching. Anyone that does trenching knows how hard it is to see down in the narrow trenches. The best part is that I bought them at Harbor Freight and they were really cheap - stopped 99.9% uv light etc. I have wanted a spare pair and can't find them anymore. Every time I go by Harbor Freight, I stop in looking for them and have never seen them again. Maybe some day.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I used to wear the yellow ones and found them very good. However, like all safety glasses they just scratch too easy. I find most last me 6 weeks max so I try and find some that suit in the cheaper range at the hardware. Often I'm in the excavator when we are laying blocks and with some glasses its hard to judge the distance to the stringline, especially when you are perpendicular to the line.

I'd love to find some good quality ones that don't scratch.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I think I have some yellow or orange lenses for my shooting glasses, I'll see if I can't find them.

Thanks

smalltime

I too like the yellow lense glasses, but for another reason. If you wear them at dusk, they seem to give you about another 10-15 minutes of work time. When I have them on, I am always amazed at how dark it really is when I finally quit & take them off.

bigHD

I have a pair of safetly glasses issued by my fire department that are very handy. They have interchageable clear and yellow lenses. I have a pair for work and a pair in my bunker gear. I beleive they are called Extrication glasses and are available through emergency equipmet suppliers like Galls. They usually work well for me when im on the loader.

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
If a certain pair of safety glasses bother's your eyes, try a different brand and type. The particular brand and style that I use and do not have depth perception problems with are made by Encon and are the Nascar GT. They are available in many shades including vermilion (red) that work great on overcast days and take away shadows. I am both an operator and a company safety officer, so to me protecting eyes is quite important.:bash

tylermckee

i have a pair of just some average cheapo saftey glasses and i swear they clear up my vision somewhat. I am supposed to wear glasses but i never do (my eyes arent too bad) I only wish i knew what brand they were