• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Safety Competition: Tranporting Mini-Excavators

Tryin'

Occupation
Trackhoe operator/ Truck driver for a foundation c
This is Not me, however, it is the company I work for, and the driver is one of my good friends.

Lessons to be Learned:

Never assume you'll clear the bridge; know the hight thereof

Never place the boom forward if you can help it; the bridge came down because the knuckle caught the support beam and lifted the bridge off of its mountings.

ALWAYS boom down as far as possible. We clear this bridge all the time with larger trucks/ loads. (my 320D) The problem was the bucket was on TOP of some limestone pallets he had just picked up and the boom was in the upright position.:beatsme

This what I walked up on:

Attachments

• DSCF3372 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3372 (Small).JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,015
  • DSCF3377 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3377 (Small).JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,003
  • DSCF3380 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3380 (Small).JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,003
Last edited:

Tryin'

Occupation
Some more:

Attachments

• DSCF3381 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3381 (Small).JPG
    58 KB · Views: 2,143
  • DSCF3382 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3382 (Small).JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 2,155
  • DSCF3383 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3383 (Small).JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 2,134
  • DSCF3384 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3384 (Small).JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,126
  • DSCF3388 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3388 (Small).JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 2,105

Tryin'

Occupation
One of the rigging and the the bridge ex-attachment points:

Attachments

• DSCF3401 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3401 (Small).JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,090
  • DSCF3399 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3399 (Small).JPG
    54 KB · Views: 2,085
  • DSCF3394 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3394 (Small).JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 2,108

Tryin'

Occupation
Site overview, Overbilt Trailers; Yeah!:notworthy (we straightened that out, by the way:eek:), and the mayoral entourage was present.

Attachments

• DSCF3411 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3411 (Small).JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 2,074
  • DSCF3416 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3416 (Small).JPG
    62 KB · Views: 2,082
  • DSCF3417 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3417 (Small).JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 2,072

Tryin'

Occupation
Offloading the Mini and the end of a LONG evening. :D:D:D

Attachments

• DSCF3427 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3427 (Small).JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,935
  • DSCF3439 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3439 (Small).JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 2,244
  • DSCF3451 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3451 (Small).JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,796

Tryin'

Occupation
Oh Yeah: we picked that machine up from the dealer that morning; it had 6 (SIX) hours on it. :Banghead:Banghead:Banghead

Last edited:

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
well, on the good side, he chained it down well.
looks like a spendy day.

Tryin'

Occupation
Think the insurance billing was just over 300k. :pointhead

Tryin'

Occupation
I just know the guy who drives it. :beatsme sorry! :(

Tryin'

Occupation
'Bout the only thing I could think of was "at least it wasn't the freeway with one of the bigger machines." :eek:

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
So its safe to bet that a 6t midi exc can move a bridge thats heavier and bulkier than itself, provided you get just the right attack angle :D

If that machine was just collected and definetly in warranty I would get a new boom ram fitted, that one is a good foot too short. ;)

All joking apart it goes to show just how easy it is too have a complete brain outage when loading something slightly out of the norm. He placed the bucket on top of some pallets of material he had loaded. :Banghead

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
Tryin where are you locate at, did this happen in Indy. I'm from Bloomington, when did this happen, I don't recall hearing about this. Glad no one was hurt, did it tear the trailer up beyond repair, how was the tractor? Thanks Bill

Tryin'

Occupation
Tryin where are you locate at, did this happen in Indy. I'm from Bloomington, when did this happen, I don't recall hearing about this. Glad no one was hurt, did it tear the trailer up beyond repair, how was the tractor? Thanks Bill

It happened at The Bridgewater Club in Westfield. I'm surprised that you didn't hear, it seems every dig I was on for a while, someone asked me if that was me.*** No, seriously, it was a pretty localized incident; no media, etc. The Club put some pressure on to prevent the negative publicity.:cool:

Winter 2008, Feb., I think.

The trailer was bent pretty good and had a broken landing gear strut and shoe. Believe it or not, we took it back to the shop, flipped it over, and bent it back with my 320D. Braced it up with some 1/2" plate, fabricated some landing gear parts, and shes on the road today. :rolleyes:

The tractor was a Kenworth T800; it basically sheared the hitch mount off the back and left the rest of it alone. Some more welding work, and she went out to.

Only pocketbooks and pride along with a little reputation were harmed in this incident. :D:D:D

jkiser96

Occupation
Concrete truck driver / business owner
It happened at The Bridgewater Club in Westfield. I'm surprised that you didn't hear, it seems every dig I was on for a while, someone asked me if that was me.*** No, seriously, it was a pretty localized incident; no media, etc. The Club put some pressure on to prevent the negative publicity.:cool:

Winter 2008, Feb., I think.

The trailer was bent pretty good and had a broken landing gear strut and shoe. Believe it or not, we took it back to the shop, flipped it over, and bent it back with my 320D. Braced it up with some 1/2" plate, fabricated some landing gear parts, and shes on the road today. :rolleyes:

The tractor was a Kenworth T800; it basically sheared the hitch mount off the back and left the rest of it alone. Some more welding work, and she went out to.

Only pocketbooks and pride along with a little reputation were harmed in this incident. :D:D:D

I am just east of Indy & do some work on the north side but never heard about this. The way people drive up there, I am surprised no one was following real close & didn't rear end the trailer.