• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Safety competition. Craneaccident

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Here is a case to learn from.

This accident happend with our All Terrain crane in Nothern Afghanistan.(PPM 580 ATT)
It happend the 6.jan 2006 just before lunch.
The operator was lifting a number of containers onto a couple of trucks.
Driving to and from the old camp to the new.
They had been doing this since the morning.
They were nearly finnished, the operator moved the crane to a new spot.
He drove the crane from the upper cabin.

Then he locked the suspension on the crane and turned the upper part to the side to see if there where more containers to lift.
Oooops; the crane tipped backwards ending on its back.(se pict 1 and 2):eek:
No body got hurt, only the crane.

He believed from studiing the operators manual that he could move the upper part when the suspension was locked.
The manual says u can carry load in the hook while driving. In creep mode.
That is only possible when the boom faces backwards and is locked in that position. Susp has to be locked too.
So how do u get from transport to this backward position?

Manual dosen't say anything, so he assumed it would be stable when the suspension is locked.
Problem is, u have to rigg the crane with the outriggers down, turn, lock it backwards, and then take the outriggers in and up.

Crane was not so much damaged, drivingcabin, part of the counterweight got loose, some damage to the winch, the LMI and som dents in the boom when we turned it around. And the addon boom got smashed.(dont remember its right name)

Recovery was done with two winches, one in each direction and a wheelloader to help with the start of the prosess.
When lifted with the loader, the winches fixed the rest.
After some minutes on right we checked oil and started it.
Then put the ouriggers out and parked for the night.

Lessons learned:
- All drivers must have machine spesific education, short or long.
- Instructors have to be qualified and checked out before doing a course.
- Course must be documented and a exam passed.

It is not enough that u are an old and experienced driver. U have to have experience on the specific make and modell to be safe.
We saw here that the driver didn't have enough experience on that spesific modell.(situation)
And i coulden't document the education that we had given him.

It was of the type where a experienced driver thought the new one, what he new.(they spent two days in the crane)
And as i said, i can't document what they have tought to each other, cause there is no program or exam available.

From now on, all have to have a course regardless of what they want to operate.(and how experienced they are)
No course, no driving.:cool:

Attachments

• kran 1.jpg
    kran 1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,282
  • kran 2.jpg
    kran 2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 3,918
  • kran3.jpg
    kran3.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 2,256

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
And the addon boom got smashed.(dont remember its right name)

That would be the "jib".

Do yall have a crane certification course over there or is that not required in the military?

Lashlander

We had spun our rough terrain crane around without the outriggers deployed a hundred times with no problems and no concerns until one of my operators spun it around with it boomed up high one day. It started to go over backwards and he had enough sense to nail it and go into full swing. The tires were probably four feet off the ground before it went back down. I'm not so sure I would have thought that quick. If he would have tried to change directions it would have rolled. I searched to load chart and operators manual and its not addressed in either one. We still spin it around but not with the boom above 45 degrees.
A few years ago in Fairbanks an outfit bought a brand new 777 Manitowoc truck crane rated for 175 ton. When they were putting it together, they installed the counterweight then the operator spun it around to install the boom. It flipped over backward and messed it up pretty good.
I see by your pics that the boom is pretty high. Was it this high when he spun it around or did it bleed up when it was on its back? My guess would be it was that high and thats why it turned turtle. If I hadn't seen it almost happen, I wouldn't have known it could. I've never seen it addressed at any crane classes I've been to.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Well CB we all have to have a sertificat in the bottom.:)
That goes for all heavy equipment.(also earthmoving equip)
But this is a type where u are alowed to do general craning.
We have different classes; truckmounted, AT/RT cranes, overhead cranes, building cranes and seadock cranes.

The problem comes when we got the only 4 PPM sold in Norway....:eek:
You don't find anybody that has experience with the PPM....

So the authorothies stated in the law, that everybody shall have education on the spesific crane u drive.
We had to improve this after the accident....(to say at least).

And the loader is a L180E, loaned from the airforce. Airfreighted to and from Kabul.(but thats another story)

The boom was so high up and that was one of the reasons it flipped.
If he had it around 30-45 i beliewe he wouldent flipped at all!
But this high u got the weights and nearly all the boom on the side of the crane. U have to flip, no way not! Dosent show as good at the pics, but on ground it was no question!

I've learned to be carefull with the boom high as u described Lash.
I mean it is stated in the lifting chart, a note to the chart.
My instructor told us to extend the outriggers and spent an hour or two testing to find out the limits.(with the pads just off the ground)
Then u know for later the degree it starts tipping.:)

Same goes when u got the boom horizontaly and maks out for greasing!
U may get a surprice.

raflomo

Occupation
Crane Operator...duh
They need to train their ops a little better and teach them the term BACKWARDS STABILITY

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Lash ...i was gonna say the same thing ,,the crane was boomed to high ...Ive turned TMS300's without the jacks deployed ,though extended beams (Im not certifably mental)..in the under 100 T class theres room for a litle play ..but if it goes wrong yer on your own ...