1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Safety bar Proximity switch

Discussion in 'Compact Track/Multi Terrain Loaders' started by PeterG, Jul 3, 2022.

1. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

Landscape Construction, General Contractor
    I replaced the proximity switch, which didn't fix the problem. Dealer could not fix the problem. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The flagger plate on the safety bar is steel. I find sometimes if I clean off the plate (remove dust, dirt, corrosion) it works. Should the plate be painted, or should I spray it with something?
    I don't use the machine a lot and it sits in a shed. Any ideas? There is a steel dust cover that covers the switch and plate, but I got tired of constantly removing it to clean the plate. What's the best distance the flagger plate should be from the switch?

2. Camshawn

Camshawn Well-Known Member

Have you tried to move the bar closer to the switch when it is not working? Distance does matter. If something is loose or worn, the distance might be just on the edge of the switch making. It most likely be magnetic so paint and grease should not matter. Cam

muddog1975 and DMiller like this.
  3. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

I have it pretty close. I will try to move the switch closer. The bar can't be moved. I have tried many fixes over the year, Many times it seems to solve the issue only to occur again several months later. I don't think it's the switch going bad. Maybe bad connection somewhere in the wiring harness. Harness has been tested to be good though.

DMiller and Camshawn like this.
  4. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

I no see brand, model, pictures, nothing.

DMiller likes this.
  5. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

What? you're not psychic?

I can tell that he needs a jumper wire if he's been suffering for years with this issue. :)

DMiller and 1466IH like this.
  6. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

I will take a picture today, and try and move it closer. I already have it about as close as I can get. When the safety bar goes down the flag plate rotates in closer. I will see if I can adjust it so it almost rubs it when the bar goes down. What does the jumper wire do?

DMiller likes this.
  7. skata

skata Senior Member

Don't tell us brand and model, because there is zero chance the issue is something else...

DMiller likes this.
  8. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

Sorry all, got real busy. The brand is Takeuchi TL130. I have some time later today to get back to looking at it and grab some images. The problem has been going on an off for years. It does seem if I clean the flagger plate off with fine grit sand paper it begins to work again. Switch is #5 which is new. Wire harness is old. #25 can move it closer to the flagger plate which is part of the lap bar.

One.jpg

9. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

FYI, two.jpg Here is the Harness layout

10. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

You're barking up the wrong tree.

You need to resolder the board connections in both of the triple relays in the panel above where your feet are when operating the machine.
    You can replace one, but, I never figured out which one, and they'll both have cold solder joints. And, they're more than $70 apiece, and will fail just the same, albeit that it'll take a few years.

skata, Camshawn and DMiller like this.
  11. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

Oh, interesting. Not sure where you are talking about. Does this diagram help? Thanks.

One two.jpg

12. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

Ok, forget that diagram, I found the right one.

13. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

Are you taking about B? Should I replace the relay

B.jpg

14. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

Page # 2 here...
    https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/takeuchi-tl130-wireing-diagram.52612/page-2#post-913158

The only ones that come apart, or need soldered correctly, are the triple relays. Don't try to take apart the others.

BTW, with a collective 20,000+ fleet hours on TL150 machines, and 40,000+ fleet hours on Takeuchis in general, I've never had to replace the seat bar switch. If you had stated what machine you were wrestling with in the first post, we could've saved you some aggravation.

I've only got 8 Takeuchis here, so, I dont know everything, but, odds are I've encountered it.

Camshawn and BigWrench55 like this.
  15. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks for all your help! I will try and pursue that fix.

16. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

The bad solder joints will have "ring" gap around them, like this...
    Screenshot_20220707-190220_Chrome.jpg

BigWrench55 likes this.
  17. skata

skata Senior Member