• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Safely hauling a skid steer

jakegsxr11

Hi,
I recently purchased a bobcat 843 skid steer it weighs 6500#. I've never towed anything over a couple thousand and need to know how to safely do it. I'll be using my 2002 duramax 3/4 ton truck and renting a bumper trailer (not sure on length or weight yet but the local rental store uses it to tow their mini excevator). I have a gooseneck hitch but cannot find a gooseneck trailer to rent. I also have a brake controller installed in the truck. I would appreciate advice about how to load/balance the trailer properly, how to set the brake controller, what hitch receiver i should purchase and any other tips you can think of. I did try to search the subject but didn't find many relevant results. Thanks in advance.

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
I set my brake controller by going to 0 then bringingit up as i do a couple test atop until its stops with out locking up tires or jerking the truck when you barely touch the brakes

Canadian_digger

You want to have around 10-15% of the the total weight on the tong of the trailer for bumper pull type hitch.

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
A gooseneck trailer sure would make that load handle great.